Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Junior Titan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mb63
    Seems to me Lote is returning to league which is whre he belongs.Broncos likely destination.

Hope so he's an awesome player and it would be fantastic to have him back at the broncos... But i don't really care where he plays as long as he comes back to league
    BRONCOS ARE #1 AND WILL ALWAYS BE MY TEAM!!!! eace:

Brisbane Broncos at head of queue to woo Lote Tuqiri

Brisbane Broncos officials will open negotiations with Wallaby Lote Tuqiri next week as interest from the NRL continues to increase.

The ARU has withdrawn an offer - believed to be about $3 million over four years - tabled to the dual international last month. While ARU officials are still likely to up their bid to keep Tuqiri next year, his refusal to accept such a lucrative deal has given rugby league clubs renewed hope that the former Bronco is serious about a switch back in 2008.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said yesterday he was keen to gauge whether the club would be in the hunt for his signature even with an offer vastly inferior to the ARU's.

"We certainly want to have a chat to him," Cullen said. "We'll make contact next week, for sure. But we've got to work out whether it's a league thing or it's a money thing. Those sort of numbers are way out of our league."

Tuqiri returned to Sydney after holidaying in Brisbane yesterday, saying he was stunned that the Queensland Reds were likely to rule out trying to recruit him on the basis that they believe his asking price is too high.

He was also angered by Reds general manager Alex Pope, who said he could not think of many clubs "who would pay him that sort of money".

"The way he has commented makes me think he is someone who likes their name in lights," Tuqiri said.

While Tuqiri met Reds coach Eddie Jones in Brisbane to discuss a switch from NSW to Queensland, he said he never met Pope, nor spoke to him or anyone at the Reds about money.

"The only person I have been speaking with is Eddie, who I have strong ties [with] from his days as the Wallabies coach. And we have just spoken from a playing perspective," Tuqiri said.

At least seven NRL clubs are expected to chase Tuqiri's signature, with Penrith officials saying they would be keen to join Melbourne, Cronulla, Sydney Roosters, Brisbane, Souths and the Gold Coast in the queue for the 27-year-old.

"We're always interested in quality players," Penrith general manager Mick Leary said. "Put it this way, if he came on the market, of course we'd be interested."

Asked by how much the ARU would be prepared to up its bid, high-performance manager Pat Wilson said: "We put what we thought was a reasonably attractive offer to him. Lote and his advisers have told us they're looking at exploring their options. That offer's been withdrawn, but we're still happy to talk to Lote."

Despite the prolonged uncertainty about his future, Tuqiri said he still hoped to come to a settlement as early as possible.

"I haven't set any personal deadline, but I'd like to get it knocked over early," said Tuqiri, who today joins a 47-strong Wallabies World Cup squad in Canberra for a three-day camp.

SMH
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

"We're always interested in quality players," Penrith general manager Mick Leary said. "Put it this way, if he came on the market, of course we'd be interested."
    Why would Penrith want him?

Aren't they waist deep in the 100 other Lote's they said they were making?

Anyone remember that?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titan First Grade Regular

The contract wasn't worth 3 mill, I read somewhere that it was worth just under a million - can't remember where.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    The contract wasn't worth 3 mill, I read somewhere that it was worth just under a million - can't remember where.
    $3 million over 4 years. They are talking per annum.

I can promise you he wasn't being offered $1 million for 4 years. :rotflmao:

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    $3 million over 4 years. They are talking per annum.

I can promise you he wasn't being offered $1 million for 4 years. :rotflmao:
    LOL from the union big bucks to a $250K a year contract lol thats probably equal to or lower than his first NRL contract haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Roosters are cashed up and set to splash out on Tuqiri

SUN HERALD

Will Swanton
    January 7, 2007
    In demand: Several league clubs are keen to sign Lote Tuqiri if he turns his back on rugby union.

In demand: Several league clubs are keen to sign Lote Tuqiri if he turns his back on rugby union.
    Photo: Reuters
    Other related coverage

* Broncos at head of queue to woo Tuqiri

SYDNEY Roosters coach Chris Anderson wants to lure Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri to the club to replace code-switching centre Ryan Cross.

The Roosters have money in the bank after the departures of Cross to the Western Force, Brett Finch to Parramatta and Adrian Morley back to English Super League club Warrington. All were on big salaries.

A long queue is forming to get Tuqiri, the 27-year-old dual international, back to rugby league, with Brisbane set to start negotiations this week. But Anderson, who has coached Tuqiri with the Australian league side, also fancies a face-to-face chat.

Tuqiri met Roosters officials two weeks ago but is yet to sit down with Anderson. All he has to do is pick up the phone.

"Certainly, definitely," Anderson said. "He's a good bloke and he'd fit in great at the joint. I haven't talked to him but I would if he wants to. I'd be mad not to.

" I've coached Lote and know what he's like. The finances might be the problem. There will be a lot of clubs after him if he wants to come back to league but I don't know if you want to pay as much as he's going to get for a winger."

Reminded he was a winger in his playing days, but no longer seemed to rate them too highly, Anderson laughed and said: "I love wingers. Every team needs at least a couple of them. But I can't remember ever being the highest-paid bloke around.

"Wingers aren't usually at the top of the pecking order when it comes to money."

The departure of Cross is a massive blow to the Roosters and Tuqiri would probably need to move to the centres to justify a mammoth pay cheque.

"He might enjoy being in the centres and you'd get more value for your money," Anderson said.

"Ryan Cross is a loss for us. I would have liked to have kept him."

The ARU has withdrawn an offer, believed to be about $3 million over four years, it tabled last month for Tuqiri. Officials are expected to top up the offer, but Tuqiri's reluctance to sign for next year has league clubs salivating at the prospect of getting him back in their ranks.

The decision by the Wallabies management to "humiliate" Tuqiri by sending him home from a training camp during the week may have damaged the ARU's cause.

Waratahs Tuqiri, Morgan Turinui and Tatafu Polota-Nau and the Brumbies' Mark Gerrard, another NRL target, failed to meet specific times between 50 metres and 100 metres and failed skin fold tests, suggesting they were overweight.

NSW coach Ewen McKenzie said it may have been Wallabies coach John Connolly's "subtle psychology".

He did support Connolly's right to take action if he wasn't satisfied with the players' performances.

McKenzie said during the week he wanted to talk to Tuqiri face-to-face to gauge his thoughts about his future. McKenzie said he could understand Tuqiri's being "cagey".

"What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is whether he wants to be the highest profile rugby player, if it's a family decision or a combination or what," he said.

Anderson said Tuqiri would have to take a pay cut if he left rugby, but the World Cup this year is becoming increasingly likely to be his last appearance as a Wallaby.

Penrith, Melbourne, Cronulla, Souths and the Gold Coast will be fighting the Roosters and Brisbane for Tuqiri's signature.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneBroncosRule
    Come on Broncs, sign Lote up again
    Yes..that's one deal I hope to see sealed :win:

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    Roosters are cashed up and set to splash out on Tuqiri

SUN HERALD

Will Swanton
    January 7, 2007

Photo: Reuters
    Other related coverage

* Broncos at head of queue to woo Tuqiri

SYDNEY Roosters coach Chris Anderson wants to lure Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri to the club to replace code-switching centre Ryan Cross.

The Roosters have money in the bank after the departures of Cross to the Western Force, Brett Finch to Parramatta and Adrian Morley back to English Super League club Warrington. All were on big salaries.

A long queue is forming to get Tuqiri, the 27-year-old dual international, back to rugby league, with Brisbane set to start negotiations this week. But Anderson, who has coached Tuqiri with the Australian league side, also fancies a face-to-face chat.

Tuqiri met Roosters officials two weeks ago but is yet to sit down with Anderson. All he has to do is pick up the phone.

"Certainly, definitely," Anderson said. "He's a good bloke and he'd fit in great at the joint. I haven't talked to him but I would if he wants to. I'd be mad not to.

" I've coached Lote and know what he's like. The finances might be the problem. There will be a lot of clubs after him if he wants to come back to league but I don't know if you want to pay as much as he's going to get for a winger."

Reminded he was a winger in his playing days, but no longer seemed to rate them too highly, Anderson laughed and said: "I love wingers. Every team needs at least a couple of them. But I can't remember ever being the highest-paid bloke around.

"Wingers aren't usually at the top of the pecking order when it comes to money."

The departure of Cross is a massive blow to the Roosters and Tuqiri would probably need to move to the centres to justify a mammoth pay cheque.

"He might enjoy being in the centres and you'd get more value for your money," Anderson said.

"Ryan Cross is a loss for us. I would have liked to have kept him."

The ARU has withdrawn an offer, believed to be about $3 million over four years, it tabled last month for Tuqiri. Officials are expected to top up the offer, but Tuqiri's reluctance to sign for next year has league clubs salivating at the prospect of getting him back in their ranks.

The decision by the Wallabies management to "humiliate" Tuqiri by sending him home from a training camp during the week may have damaged the ARU's cause.

Waratahs Tuqiri, Morgan Turinui and Tatafu Polota-Nau and the Brumbies' Mark Gerrard, another NRL target, failed to meet specific times between 50 metres and 100 metres and failed skin fold tests, suggesting they were overweight.

NSW coach Ewen McKenzie said it may have been Wallabies coach John Connolly's "subtle psychology".

He did support Connolly's right to take action if he wasn't satisfied with the players' performances.

McKenzie said during the week he wanted to talk to Tuqiri face-to-face to gauge his thoughts about his future. McKenzie said he could understand Tuqiri's being "cagey".

"What I'm trying to get to the bottom of is whether he wants to be the highest profile rugby player, if it's a family decision or a combination or what," he said.

Anderson said Tuqiri would have to take a pay cut if he left rugby, but the World Cup this year is becoming increasingly likely to be his last appearance as a Wallaby.

Penrith, Melbourne, Cronulla, Souths and the Gold Coast will be fighting the Roosters and Brisbane for Tuqiri's signature.
    Um I really hope he dont sign with a club I hate
    I hope he signs with say Souths, Storm or the Gold Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Um I really hope he dont sign with a club I hate
    I hope he signs with say Souths, Storm or the Gold Coast
    but not the cowboys? :roll:

Lote will be back. I think he will sign with the Titans, But with Rogers coming, they might run out of room in there cap.
    [

but not the cowboys? :roll:

Lote will be back. I think he will sign with the Titans, But with Rogers coming, they might run out of room in there cap.
    I doubt hed sign with the Cowboys.
    Itd be awesome if he did but since I doubt he would I think Souths could use another high-profile like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    I doubt hed sign with the Cowboys.
    Itd be awesome if he did but since I doubt he would I think Souths could use another high-profile like him.
    Would they have enuff money with Roy there now?
    [

Would they have enuff money with Roy there now?
    Yeah interesting point.
    Im hoping if he goes to North Queensland that the buying of Minto didnt cost us room under the cap for Lote :rotflmao:

Tuqiri can peak in league: Broncos boss
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 2:23 PM

Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen believes Wallaby Lote Tuqiri can "fulfil his promise" in rugby league but is realistic about the NRL club's chances of securing the ex-Bronco.

Cullen said the Broncos would speak with Tuqiri about a possible 2008 code switch "in the next week or so" but admitted Brisbane would not be "moving heaven and earth" to re-sign the dual international.

However, Cullen did not rule out good friend Tuqiri taking a massive pay cut and returning to league so he could "fulfil his potential".

Brisbane was expected to head the queue for the 27-year-old and begin talks this week after the Australian Rugby Union recently withdrew an offer, believed to be about $3 million over four years.

At least seven NRL clubs are believed to be desperate to sign the NSW Waratah while Super 14 rugby outfit Queensland Reds have initiated preliminary talks.

However, Cullen has admitted the Broncos had not yet gauged Tuqiri's interest and would speak with the Fijian-born flyer "when we get around to it".

Cullen was excited by the prospect of Tuqiri again playing in Broncos colours but believed the Wallaby winger would only return to the NRL club "for love not money".

"We will get to it in our own good time. That's no disrespect to Lote, we would like to talk to him and find out his intentions," Cullen said.

"But we don't think we are in a position to do too much ... the numbers being bandied around are way out of our league.

"We are not going to ignore Lote because he is a good friend of the club and we like him, so we will certainly have a chat to him.

"But it's not something that we are moving heaven and earth to do."

The Broncos boss disagreed with Reds coach Eddie Jones' recent assessment that Tuqiri wasn't the strike weapon he once was, saying the speedster just needed the right environment.

"To me Lote hasn't fulfilled what I would have thought is his full potential as a footballer, but I think that's because of the game (rugby)," Cullen said.

"That's probably one of the reasons why he is thinking about coming back.

"Maybe he himself doesn't believe he has fulfilled his promise as a footballer.

"I thought league was a game that suited him a lot more than rugby did, but I don't know the game well enough to be critical of it.

"I don't think he is a spent force by any stretch. I think (if he is) back in league, in the right team and with the right tactics to use him I think he would be very, very good."

Cullen said the Broncos did not have too much room to move under the NRL salary cap, saying their 2008 squad was already all but finalised.

"We've got a squad together for 2007 but also for 2008 as well," he said.

"There's very little room for us to move salary cap-wise. You are not going to be paying a winger under the salary cap the sorts of numbers that have been bandied around for him.

"We have to find out what are his intentions, what does he want to do, what are his limitations financially."

Source: AAP

Bump!

Carney has gone, the Tites have the money, should they invest in trying to keep Lote Tuqiri?
    [