Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default The Lote Tuqiri Thread

I'm open to NRL offers: Lote

Lote Tuqiri has revealed he is considering quitting rugby union after the World Cup and will talk to any NRL club interested in his signature.

The Wallabies sensation vowed to leave no stone unturned as he confronts the biggest decision of his career.

Tuqiri, who made a cameo appearance for the celebrity team at yesterday's Beach Footy contest in Sydney, received a formal offer from the Australian Rugby Union on Thursday.

But the dual international says he will explore every option in rugby league before deciding whether to commit to rugby for four years.

Tuqiri has held informal talks with Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney Roosters and Cronulla. The list of NRL suitors may not end there.

"If there's an NRL club keen on me, I will be happy to talk to them," Tuqiri said. "I'll give the ARU a fair go but I will definitely be weighing up my options in league.

"I don't want to leave any stone unturned and that's the main reason for meeting other parties now. The next week will be very important.

"I have a formal offer from the ARU. I got that during the week. I will mull over that with the people that matter and see where we go from there.

"The ARU have set the wheels in motion. Now that I have an offer from them, I will talk to any interested parties in rugby league.

"I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a temptation to go back (to league) but that doesn't mean I'll act on it."

The ARU clearly will not lose Tuqiri without a fight, tabling an offer worth a rumoured $1 million a season.

And should the 27-year-old remain in rugby, there is a genuine possibility he could finish his career at the Queensland Reds.

The Waratahs winger has spoken with Reds coach Eddie Jones and admits a move back to Brisbane to play either union or league could be the best thing for his family.

"They will be a major contributor to my decision," he said.

"I have a 17-month-old boy (Samson) and he needs some time with myself and his family. My wife (Rebekka) is from Queensland and both our parents are up there and you can't underestimate that support network that comes with family. I wouldn't rule out the Reds at all.

"I love the Tahs. They've been fantastic for me and (former NSW coach) Bob Dwyer was a big influence on me.

"It would be hard to leave them but I am from Brisbane originally and all my family is up there.

"This is such a tough decision. My thoughts change that many times a week it's not funny."

Tuqiri said he wanted to make a definitive call by the end of next month. The wing said he missed playing with the Broncos and was itching for another crack at State of Origin.

He also revealed he was excited by the prospect of playing international rugby league following the drama-charged Tri-Nations series.

"When I played, Australia was easily No.1 in the world but now international footy has really cranked up," he said.

"I watched the Tri-Nations final from my hotel room in Scotland, it was live on TV, and I was punching the air.

"It's a big attraction to go back. The international game has come a long way since I played the game.

"You do get itchy feet when you watch a good Friday night game and the finals come around."

Of the Broncos, Tuqiri said: "I have a soft spot for them. I won a premiership with Brisbane and I went from a boy to a man there. I joined them at 16 and have a lot of fond memories. I certainly miss playing with guys like Darren Lockyer."

Source: News
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It is looking promising!

I absolutely love his comments about international rugby league and the fantastic Tri Nations! I got to get that game on tape!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titan First Grade Squad BrisbaneBroncosRule's Avatar

Come on Broncs, sign Lote up again

I LOVE MICHEL

Titan First Grade Regular

*crosses fingers in hope that Todd Carney and Lote Tuqiri are distantly related, so he comes to canberra to play with him*
    [

Broncos eyeing Tuqiri deal

BRISBANE will soon consider starting contract negotiations with dual international Lote Tuqiri as the race for the Wallabies star's signature heats up.

Broncos boss Bruno Cullen last night confirmed the NRL premiers were keen to talk to Tuqiri, who could quit rugby after next year's World Cup.

The Australian Rugby Union has tabled an offer to Tuqiri, worth a rumoured $1 million a season, to keep him in the code until the end of 2011.

But the 27-year-old has vowed not to leave "any stone unturned" in deciding his future, and has given himself until the end of January to settle on the biggest call of his career.

Cullen said he would meet Broncos coach Wayne Bennett in the next two weeks to discuss the option of luring Tuqiri back to Red Hill.

"Lote is a wonderful footballer and we are obviously interested in having a chat with him," he said.

"He's a good friend of the club and still talks to a lot of the guys here."

As many as six NRL clubs are believed to be interested in Tuqiri, who switched codes in 2003, but the Fiji-born flyer will have to take a drastic pay cut to return to league.

His minimum $500,000 asking price could be too great for some clubs.

Tuqiri's wife Rebekka is also from Queensland and both would like to be closer to their families, especially now with young son Samson.

Cullen was sceptical a deal could be forged.

"Affordability under the salary cap is going to be an issue," he acknowledged.

FOXSPORTS.COM.AU

I have heard a little bit of gossip/rumour that Lote will be playing for Manly in 2008 as he lives in Narabeen and his family are now entrenched in the Northern Beaches of Sydney, you heard it here first.cya. :chinese: :box:

Family ties touted to woo Wallaby
    Mick Daly
    December 22, 2006 11:00pm

THE Broncos are prepared to play the waiting game in their attempt to lure Wallaby star Lote Tuqiri back to league.

The dual international flew to Brisbane on Thursday with wife Rebekka and 17-month-old son Samson to spend Christmas with their families, and it was rumoured the NRL premiers were set to pounce.

Tuqiri met Cronulla Sharks and Australian coach Ricky Stuart in Sydney on Wednesday and has also had talks with Sydney Roosters.

Tuqiri admits he has a "soft spot" for the club he joined as a teen, but managing director Bruno Cullen last night insisted the Broncos would wait until the new year to talk.

Cullen said he and coach Wayne Bennett were on holidays the next two weeks and claimed signing Tuqiri was "not a top priority".

"I didn't even know he was in town," he said. "There's a lot of speculation running around, but I think people are getting ahead of themselves.

"If Lote wants to come back to rugby league, we are obviously interested in talking to him. But beyond that, we won't know until he sits down and talks."

Tuqiri would need to accept a massive pay cut to return to the Broncos, who have a three-year player roster plan in place.

But if money is not the deciding factor, the promise of a more balanced family existence could swing him back to Red Hill.

Tuqiri is desperate for more time at home, with the Wallabies' international schedule becoming a burden.

The NSW Waratah loves the Brisbane lifestyle and his family in the city could persuade him to move north.

The domestic structure of the NRL appeals to Rebekka, who is dismayed by the number of weeks her husband spends abroad or in camp.

"It can be quite alarming to see how much time he is away and they're kept to themselves quite a bit," she said.

"There's not much opportunity for families to be accommodated too much in the travel." Tuqiri has expressed disappointment with a four-year contract offer from the Australian Rugby Union, saying it did not satisfy his or Rebekka's expectations.

The deal had been rumoured to be worth $1 million a season but it is understood the figure was closer to $700,000.

"It wasn't quite up to the mark of what we thought I'm worth," Tuqiri told Channel 9.

"That goes back to a lot of things, and the ARU knows about that."

ARU officials spoke to Tuqiri's managers last night to voice anger at the winger's comments, with boss Gary Flowers saying he was unhappy.

Flowers insisted the ARU's offer to Tuqiri had been "absolutely reasonable" but admitted it was "well south" of $1 million.

"We communicated our view and while I'm not going to canvass what was said, it's fair to say we weren't feeling overly positive," he said.

The ARU wants a commitment from Tuqiri by the new year, with Flowers confirming a deadline had been set for the "next week or so".

But the Fiji-born flyer is a seasoned negotiator and will consider all options before settling on the biggest call of his career.

Tuqiri said he came away impressed from his meeting with Stuart, who was keen to create a winning culture at the Sharks.

"I just wanted to know about the club and where they are going," he said.

"Ricky is a stand-up guy and he's got a lot of respect in the game and the respect of a lot of big-time players.

"He doesn't beat around the bush. I like those sorts of blokes. Every team has its selling point and Ricky is a strong point for the Sharks."

The Courier Mail

So the alure of union's international game has come back to bite them.

Come home Lote!

QLD Cup Titan

Seems to me Lote is returning to league which is whre he belongs.Broncos likely destination.

Lote rejects rugby
    Peter Badel
    December 24, 2006 12:00am

WALLABIES star Lote Tuqiri has rocked the Australian Rugby Union by turning down a lucrative contract worth $4 million.

In a crushing blow to the ARU's hopes of staving off the advances of NRL clubs, Tuqiri has told the parent body he will not sign its preliminary offer tabled last Thursday week.

The revelation is the first definitive sign Tuqiri is seriously considering a return to the NRL, where five clubs ? Melbourne, Cronulla, the Sydney Roosters, Brisbane and the Gold Coast ? are waiting to pounce.

The dual international met with Sharks coach Ricky Stuart at Cronulla restaurant Summer Salt on Thursday. The following day, Tuqiri held talks with the Roosters, who have emerged as major players in the fight to snare the former Broncos winger.

South Sydney has also entered the mix, with owner Peter Holmes a Court having dinner with Tuqiri last Monday.

While the ARU's offer of $1 million a season would make him the second-highest earner in the code behind the Western Force's $1.5 million man Matt Giteau, Tuqiri insists money is not the overriding issue.

It is understood Tuqiri and his manager Les Ross have concerns over how the ARU view the winger's promotional value.

"I've knocked back their offer," Tuqiri confirmed last night.

"At this stage there are some key components that we spoke about, but haven't appeared in the contract.

"At the moment, the deal from the ARU isn't satisfactory, but you don't always knock over a deal at the first go.

"This is the biggest contract of my career and I want to get it right."

While Tuqiri, 27, has not ruled out staying in rugby, the ARU appears to be fighting a losing battle to keep the man touted as a critical part of the Wallabies' 2011 World Cup plans.

The Fijian flyer said he was excited by the prospect of playing under Kangaroos coach Stuart at the Sharks.

"We had a good meeting," Tuqiri said. "Ricky spoke about his plans for the club and he's certainly an attraction.

"I have a lot of respect for Ricky as a coach and he's one guy who can bring a winning culture to Cronulla.

"I always said I'd leave no stone unturned in reaching my decision and meeting the Sharks was the first step."

Cronulla chief executive Greg Pierce said the club would consider tabling a formal offer to Tuqiri in the new year.

"We didn't talk figures ? we just wanted to see where Lote stood and if he was serious about playing league again," Pierce said.

"It was preliminary stuff but we wouldn't have met him if we weren't genuinely interested."

Tuqiri, who plans to meet with Melbourne and rugby's Queensland Reds this week, said he was keen to play centre if he returned to league.

"I wouldn't mind a crack there," he said. "You get a lot more one-on-one contests in the centres and I think that could suit me."

The Sunday Mail

Hell yea Lote a league centre. Yes please.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

If Lote was to return to league i think he would stay in the eastern suburbs of sydney [roosters,souths,manly(?)] or sunny qld (brisbane,Gold Coast)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    I have heard a little bit of gossip/rumour that Lote will be playing for Manly in 2008 as he lives in Narabeen and his family are now entrenched in the Northern Beaches of Sydney, you heard it here first.cya. :chinese: :box:

Well - theres already three representative centres there - how many more do they need!

Steve Bell - QLD, Lyon - Australia,*cough*NSW*End Cough*, Matai - NZ, Lote - Union AUS, and probally QLD and AUS league rep again!!!
    [

Default Shav

The Titans would not need Lote, they have a quality winger in the shape of Matt Petersen :cop:

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shavenjas
    The Titans would not need Lote, they have a quality winger in the shape of Matt Petersen :cop:
    But - Lote's better, and he can play centre. Heck, i reckon he'd be good at full-back and lock.
    [