Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Come on, the average father has to look after his family on maybe 40,000 or so a year.

He is getting over a million a year.

I'm sick and tired of people saying footballers are looking after their family, sure to a point, sure for lower paid footballers, I can totally understand. But we are talking a million a year, let's not be painting Lote as a lil aussie battler.

The way he has carried on is in fact very unAustralian. I'm fuming at the treatment he gave our NATIONAL coach.

This case is so out of the stratosphere of comparisons it is ridiculous.
    Damn straight!

No doubt he does have a family to take care of. But no one was asking him to volunteer his services back to league. It was the difference between 800K a year and 400K. 5-6 average Australian families could divide his lowest option and live equal or better to what they currently do for the year.

As for all this talk of Lote's family; his main reasons for looking back to league was because he wanted to spend more time with his family, and the traveling involved in union hampered that. Well if he held out another day or so Souths would have given him his inflated asking price and more time with his family. Infact, the way Souths seemed so keen they might have allowed him to only appear in home games as to never be more than a stones throw from home.

But Lote obviously DID NOT have any interest in being at the Bunnies (hence his last ditch effort to get the Titans back in the race) so he accepted an ARU offer a half hour out from the deadline, at a reduced price from their original offer.

So this begs the question: wtf purpose did all this whoring around clubs and codes actually serve? He' still going to be away from his family with union, for less money, and for a longer time, just with far less respect from fans of both codes now and probably his team mates too. Apparently he cast a lonely shadow in the warratahs dressing room the other night, not the most popular side show in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Yea he earns a million a year for what 5 years - then what?

That isnt a huge amount for the 50 years or so..

If he can get a bit more then good one him - he has worked and trainined to get this far so he has a right to earn as much from his profession as any one else in any other job.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink

Tell me what happens if he invests just one years pay?

Couple that with the ARU and NSWRU obviously providing some of the best business and investment advisors.

He won't have to ever work again.

It would take the average person 20 years to earn $1,000,000 and they can't save nearly any of it as they need to live on it.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If he can get a bit more then good one him - he has worked and trainined to get this far so he has a right to earn as much from his profession as any one else in any other job.
    Mate for blokes like Lote, the interest in you and the options available don't go stale once you hang the boots up. If anything he'll probably start making more money, for doing less .. well, maybe not less, he is a union winger after all.

I do see what your saying though. And thats fair enough, if he had of come out and said "I'm following the sweet scent of corporate dollars" instead of tarting himself around for months making out it was travel and away time from his family that was the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Tuqiri listened to Bennett

By Peter Badel
    March 13, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri revealed last night how a heart-to-heart with Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett convinced him to reject a massive offer from NRL club South Sydney and stay in rugby union.

Tuqiri said the advice from Bennett, his former coach at the Broncos in the NRL, was a motivating force in him pledging the next five years to New South Wales Waratahs and the Australian Rugby Union.

Tuqiri's deal is understood to be worth $5 million, with the wing now reportedly a frontline candidate to captain the Wallabies at the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

"I spoke to a lot of people in this stressful process but I had a good chat to Wayne a couple of days ago," Tuqiri said.

"I really appreciated his advice. You know Wayne, he doesn't say too much. He just said: Go with your gut, it hasn't let you down in the past.

"I'm just relieved it's all over. I've been so stressed. I feel like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders."

Given until 5pm (AEDT) yesterday by the ARU to make a definitive call, Tuqiri left it late, admitting he hadn't arrived at a decision until 4.30pm.

Ultimately, the dual international cited loyalty to the Waratahs as the reason he remained in the 15-man code.

Cashed-up South Sydney, English Suoer League club Wigan and London-based rugby premiership club Saracens were in the running until late yesterday.

"I think we're going in the right direction with the Waratahs," Tuqiri said.

"It may not look like it, but I wanted to be a part of that and put my wholehearted effort into the place.

"I'm a pretty loyal bloke and I want to be part of a successful outfit.

"I was close to switching allegiances in the last contract.

"I nearly went to the Brumbies, but loyalty got me over the line then.

"I guess it's done the same thing this time.

"There are guys at the Tahs who will drive New South Wales and Australian rugby for the next couple of years, and I want to be a part of it.

"Dan Vickerman and Phil Waugh are crucial to Australian rugby, and there's guys like Kurtley Beale coming through. There's plenty of promise ahead."

But Tuqiri conceded Souths' offer, believed to be worth $1million a season, and comparable to rugby's offer, nearly lured him back to the NRL.

"I went really close to joining Souths," he said.

"I was so impressed with how (Souths co-owner) Peter Holmes a Court came across, and his vision for the club.

"I've got no reason to bag Souths. They've been great in the negotiation process. The potential that exists there is incredible.

"I guess they ran out of time to get a deal together. It was touch and go, there.

"It came down to the last 30 minutes, I didn't make a decision until 4.30pm. That's how I've done things and I've gone with my gut again."

Those close to the Tuqiri camp were all but convinced he would return to league, especially after recent comments lamenting his lack of involvement in rugby.

But Tuqiri, 27, insists he will be content in rugby.

Indeed, he revealed a blueprint to rediscover his rampaging touch by seeing more ball.

"I will be happy in rugby," Tuqiri said.

"You have to try and do everything you can to be happy. I will put all my thoughts and energies into being happy. I've got to drive that myself.

"I want to get in there and get my hands on the ball more."

The Daily Telegraph

Looks like Ricky was right.

Yup Ricky was right -hardly the attitude of someone wanting to go back to league - go surfing instead of meeting the Aus coach.

Does anyone else think that Lote and Trev from Big Brother/Hot Tomato look alike?

Last edited by Nathalie; 13-03-07 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie
    Does anyone else think that Lote and Trev from Big Brother/Hot Tomato look alike?
    Errrr...

No.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Or maybe that is his new character. Maybe his ego has been stroked too many times in union. In league the Broncos boys would take him a peg down.
    This is possible, I hope not though cause I have been a fan of his for years, but absolutely hate over inflated egos.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

1 million left in a normal savings account would earn what the average person earns in on year, without even looking at better investment options. I'll give up my job any day for a million a year over 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.