Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I'm a bit worried about the Storm at the moment...

If and when we expand, I hope we do it in a respectful and non-threatening fashion. Unlike the AFL's expansion into Western Sydney and the Gold Coast.

Perth.... gee I'd love Perth!!!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...n-in-the-west/

Reds can rise again in the west

Former Western Reds and Melbourne Storm prop Robbie Kearns believes a new NRL side could flourish in Perth, but it must score early wins to create support and momentum.

The NRL is considering Perth for an expansion side from 2013.

"There is no doubt that a team can succeed in Perth but it will need success early to ensure its future," the former State of Origin front-rower said.

Kearns played with the Western Reds in 1996-97 before the club folded and he moved to the Storm.

Now their front row coach and club ambassador, he is back with the side for Saturday's clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs at ME Bank Stadium.

"If the Reds had had more success in the early days I reckon we would have kept going," Kearns said.

"We didn't play well as a team. We had opportunities but we were a team of superstars and not a superstar team.

"In those early days we had good crowds but they fell away. There will always be diehards but a side has to create momentum and obviously it became a struggle financially to keep the side going."

Kearns, who retired in 2005, said a Perth club should not be a relocated Sydney side but should be built from the bottom.

Source: The West Australian

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Perth's got a lot going for it: NRL boss

Momentum is building for a Perth-based NRL team by 2013, with David Gallop strongly hinting Western Australia will get a team if expansion goes ahead.

Last Saturday's game between Melbourne and South Sydney in Perth attracted a crowd of 13,164 despite freezing night conditions and demand for tickets dropping markedly immediately after the Storm's salary cap dramas were revealed.

WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson believes Perth had a strong fan base to support a team and NRL CEO Gallop says the prospect will be given careful consideration.

"We are in a similar situation to the AFL in that we are about to do a broadcast deal and hopefully that will bring a fresh new bucket of money into our game," Gallop said.

"In about 12 months' time when we've got a clearer picture of our media rights deal going forward we'll certainly be seriously looking at expansion and the bottom line is Perth's got a lot going for it.

"There's an opportunity for us to increase our national profile, the State economy's robust, the (rectangular) stadium is being redeveloped.

"At the moment you'd have to say the Central Coast and Perth are the lead contenders."

The Western Reds, who featured in the national competition in 1995 and '96, regularly attracted crowds above 13,000.

The Reds defected to the Super League in 1997 but folded later in the year, a victim of the Super League war.

Gallop said the demise of the Reds was irrelevant when deciding whether to introduce a Perth-based side by 2013.

"I think they were a victim of circumstances within the game generally rather than anything they were getting wrong themselves," Gallop said.

"They weren't playing in an ideal stadium for rugby league (WACA Ground) and that's now not an issue because we've got a good stadium (in ME Bank Stadium).

"I don't take a lot of notice of what happened in the mid-90s because it was such an unusual time in the game generally."

While AFL rules the roost in WA, Sackson said it was important for the NRL to have a meaningful presence in the market.

"It's important for the code to start looking outside the east coast," Sackson said.

"Particularly in the face of the AFL's aggressive approach to the Gold Coast and Western Sydney.

"Rugby league needs to get on the front foot and expand the game nationally."

Sackson said several companies had already approached the WARL about potentially sponsoring a Perth-based team.

"We know the other pivotal aspect is television rights, which comes into play in 2013," Sackson added.

"The appeal (to the NRL) of having another capital city market ... would add some muscle to the negotiations.

"I think our prospects are very encouraging."

Rabbitohs coach John Lang, whose side will host another game in Perth next season, felt the time was right for a WA side.

"Certainly the competition's ready for a team from Perth in 2013," Lang said.

"We're a national rugby league competition, it's a big step forward if we can come over here in my opinion."

http://news.smh.com.au/
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 01-07-10 at 10:51 AM.

Having Perth return to the NRL would be tremendous! And in one step bring us some true credibility in claiming to be a NATIONAL rugby league.

Please let them be admitted!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Having Perth return to the NRL would be tremendous! And in one step bring us some true credibility in claiming to be a NATIONAL rugby league.

Please let them be admitted!
    perth and adelaide are a must, then we can focus on png, brisbane and new zealand

Banned

also i think the northern territory is a gold mine for whoever puts a team there 1st between the afl and nrl, im 99% sure that they have no teams in any national comp. no nrl, no afl, no basketball, no soccer etc.

The great thing about Rugby League is that we have so many places to expand. Including southern NZ highlighted y nearly 21,000 turning out in cold, windy pouring rain in Christchurch.

I think PNG and NT are a goer for the Queensland Cup in the short term. Let's get them playing professional and semi-professional standard footy.

Perth-based NRL team would provide huge windfall: chairman

A PERTH-BASED NRL team would inject up to $28million into the local economy, according to WA Rugby League chairman David Hobbs.

Hobbs and WARL chief executive John Sackson will fly to Sydney this week to meet NRL boss David Gallop and pitch the WA Reds' case for admission to the national competition in 2013.

They will tell Gallop a major sponsor is ready to sign a $1.5-$2million deal.

Hobbs and Sackson will also attend an Australian Rugby League conference.

Hobbs said they would point out the success, not the perceived failure, of their predecessor the Western Reds, which fielded a side in the NRL in 1995 and '96 and as the Perth Reds in Super League in 1997.

"We've spent a lot of money researching the sustainability and feasibility of a team here in WA with positive feedback," Hobbs said.

"We need to emphasise that the Western Reds didn't fail.

"Back then we had 18,000 registered members and an average crowd at the WACA of 17,500. We also had to pay for flights and accommodation of visiting teams, which was just ridiculous. And since then we've had a massive influx of people from strong league states which take up permanent residency in WA from Queensland, NSW, New Zealand and the UK.

"We must also remember that a large portion of league supporters are working in the resource sector in both mining and oil and gas, which is why we see the Pilbara as a strong threshold for both development of the game as well as corporate support and membership.

"Let's face it, we've had over 19 kids from our junior ranks leave our state in the past 10 years to go east and play both first-grade and top-level rugby league.

"This will be great for the state of Western Australia and will certainly confirm that the code of rugby league is a true national game."

The WARL has restructured its board and Hobbs said it was ready to take on the enormous challenge of fielding an NRL team.

"This business will inject a minimum of $22-28million a year into the WA economy and will employ 80 people in this state," he said.

Key points of the Reds' bid will centre on:

* A newly appointed WARL board with clear direction in expanding the code from a junior level;

* The unanimous support of all NRL CEOs;

* The NRL won't be a true national game until WA is included, which will allow it to properly take on the AFL;

* Broadcasting from WA back to the east coast will be a key plank in the NRL's bid to secure $1billion in the next TV rights deal and offer advertisers the national exposure they crave in big markets;

* National and international TV exposure will promote the state of WA and encourage tourism;

* The WA Reds would spend $8m in wages, including $4.2m in player salaries, $3.8m in support staff and $380,000 in state payroll tax;

* Expansion of the local league clubs would follow with more than 1000 new members, boosting interest and participation;

* Further utilisation of nib Stadium as the largest tenant and the WA Government's $88m stage 1 redevelopment of the venue;

* A new major sponsor was ready to inject between $1.5m and $2m;

* The State Government would pledge its commitment once the expansion had been confirmed by the new NRL/ARL Commission.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/

WA & Brisbane2 is the way forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    I totally agree mate. It'd be massive for Rugby League. Big crowds and bigger TV ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    I'm with u & Brad but i wouldn't be surprised if none or only 1 is admitted next time around as all 16 clubs have to agree on expansion as the more clubs added to the
    NRL means less cash to the existing clubs

For me it would always be the REDS as W.A has proven with their AFL & Super 15's teams they have huge Membership numbers
    #itaintweaktospeak

Hopefully we can at least strike a compromise and admit at least one club, REDS.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hopefully we can at least strike a compromise and admit at least one club, REDS.
    The Reds will help inject Multi-Millions of dollars with the new TV deal through Fox where-as i don't think another Brisbane,Nth Qld,Ipswich or Central Coast will add a great deal

I'm also very happy to head over to the West to watch the Mighty Titans take on the Reds
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I'm also very happy to head over to the West to watch the Mighty Titans take on the Reds
    Reds really will deliver with those 9:30pm LIVE timeslots on Friday and Saturday nights. I think that would be welcome by all fans.

IMO, If only one team was to enter the comp in 2013, Yes i would venture back out into Western Australia.
    IMO, If two teams were to enter the comp in 2013, I would be putting one in Western Australia and one in either Northern Territory (Big money will come from their, as was said above, not one code in Australia has taken on the territory with any major sporting club, Open space?) or southern a second Brisbane team
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!