Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Perth Reds for NRL thread

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=20835

Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

Western Reds might be gone from rugby league but the WA Reds are on the way in.

WA Rugby League chief Geoff Baldwin last night revealed the name of the local team to enter the secondtier Jim Beam Cup next year as part of a long-range plan to restore a Perth side to the National Rugby League.

Baldwin said the Reds name had been retained because the public automatically associated it with rugby league, and local followers of the sport associated it with unfinished business.

He revealed that the logo of the new team was based on that of the old Western Reds.

The intention was for the Reds to be back in the national competition by 2012.

?Coincidentally, the name WA Reds results in an acronym of ?war? and for the new team it is appropriate as we embark on a full and measured assault on the eastern seaboard to bring WA back into the national spotlight of rugby league,? he said.

?Five years ago we started the journey back to the NRL. Our initial goals were to develop a strong local competition and become financially secure, and that?s done.

?Now we?re into stage two, to form a WA team and improve to the point we can present to the NRL a case they can?t argue against.?

The new team?s head coach, Chris Dever, and conditioning coach Matt Fuller are former Western Reds players and have launched a development program to get local players up to speed for next year?s entry into the NSW-based competition.

The Sydney Roosters sent a contingent of NRL players, including Brad Fittler and captain Craig Fitzgibbon, to help kick off the new side at last night?s launch.

WARL general manager Bill Nosworthy recently returned from a recruiting trip which netted former North Queensland Cowboys player Michael Fairweather.

Nosworthy also persuaded eight players who had represented WA at junior level to return home, including Newtown premier grade player Ryan Dixon, South Sydney under-19 member Jacob Buck and Jamie Lamaro, who played for Central Coast in the Jim Beam Cup.

?The local clubs have been doing a lot of recruiting themselves and there will be at least 20 players from other States playing in our competition this year in the hope of breaking into the Reds,? Nosworthy said.

Former Brisbane, Canberra and Cronulla player Darren Matt was on the verge of committing to Perth when he got a lucrative one-year deal to play in Wales.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 08-02-07 at 12:40 PM.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Will be awesome to see WA back in NRL.

The REDS Are Back In Business!

Rugby League announces the REDS are back in business

Following the November announcement that the WA Rugby League intended to launch a long range bid to re-enter the National Competition via the second tier Jim Beam Cup in 2008, WA Rugby League Chairman, Geoff Baldwin announced last night that the name of the team will be the ?WA Reds?.

?Our decision to invite the WA public to participate in naming competition has resulted in a deluge of entries with an overwhelming support for the re-emergence of the popular Reds name, according to Mr Baldwin.

?To reinvigorate the Reds name really makes a lot of sense as it was a very successful brand and the WA community automatically associates it with Rugby League

?For Western Australian Rugby League fans the Reds name is one that suggests unfinished business and they look forward to our Perth based team succeeding in the Jim Beam Cup and then graduating to the NRL within 5 years.

?As highlighted in the winning entry of the naming competition, the Reds name remains a strong, recognised brand in the target market and it is distinctively West Australian.

?Jared Crowe of Secret Harbour won the naming competition after being drawn from numerous entries nominating a derivative form of the Reds and he will enjoy a trip for two to the 2007 NRL Grand Final in Sydney.

?Now that the name is set in concrete we can begin marketing in earnest. Interest from sponsors and members alike has been enormous and we are extremely confident that they will be very keen to align with the Reds on the exciting journey back to the NRL.

?Coincidently the name WA Reds results in an acronym of ?WAR? and for the new team, including every person involved at it is appropriate as we embark on a full and measured assault on the eastern seaboard to bring WA back into the national spotlight of rugby league.

The head coach, Chris Dever and also the conditioning coach, Matt Fuller are both ex Western Reds and they are well into development mode with local talent and new recruits from outside the state arriving to play this season in our expanded local competition with the aim to make the Jim Beam Cup side next year.

People should visit www.warugbyleague.com.au for more information and keep up to date with Western Australia?s New Reds.

Media contacts ?

Geoff Baldwin - WARL Chairman 0413 754 414

Bill Nosworthy ? WARL General Manager 0407 620 340

Richard Campbell ? WARL Marketing Director (CMS Events) 0417 998 620

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/cont...&nid=2019&oid=

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I hope it goes well & they can fulfill their dreams as the Titans have.

Will we see some Mariners & Rams popping up next?

Excellent. I think its great that the Reds conjure up feelings of unfinished business and not that of failure or anything negative, therefore a brilliant decision to keep that name.

Its great to see that they've got a structured plan in place which sees them applying realistic and strategic goals. Setting up a junior base and becoming financially stable then venturing onto larger steps that'll slowly see them producing a formidable bid for an NRL franchise license.

Great to see them getting back some WA lads to play too. Heres a prediction; Daniel Holdsworth to be the marquee signing for the WA Reds' return to the first grade rugby league competition. :eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

This is great news, and a step in the right direction for rugby league in Australia.

To maintain their original name is a smart move; it reinforces that fact that their previous attempt of getting into the big league wasn't a failure as such and that they want to settle the unfinished business.

That's great news

wahoo still got my original western reds bomber jacket lol

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Titan First Grade Regular

Thats Nice.
    Once they make the NRL - they're my new 3rd team - screw the Cowboys.
    [

Excellent to hear they kept the Reds name.. best name in the business IMO for a team from WA...

Hope they keep a similar look to the last logo too, as that was rather cool... perhaps update it for the now... but yeah I'm just happy to see WA get a team again...

Wonder if Cash Converters will come on board as sponsor again...

I'm glad people are supporting retaining the same name.

I didn't think the WARL would do it but I am very excited by the announcement.

Not only does, as it's been said, the name denote unfinished business but I also think it adds ligitmacy to their NRL claim. It is a strong reminder that they have been in the big time before and want to reclaim their place. Much like the Gold Coast.

Not only do I wish the Reds luck but also the Titans, our success will set the precedent for further expansion. So let's go get 'em boys.

I am also delighted to see the return of a true Australian name!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I'm glad people are supporting retaining the same name.

I didn't think the WARL would do it but I am very excited by the announcement.

Not only does, as it's been said, the name denote unfinished business but I also think it adds ligitmacy to their NRL claim. It is a strong reminder that they have been in the big time before and want to reclaim their place. Much like the Gold Coast.

Not only do I wish the Reds luck but also the Titans, our success will set the precedent for further expansion. So let's go get 'em boys.

I am also delighted to see the return of a true Australian name!
    \\

i agree

great to see a truely australian mascot!

Good on the Reds we do need more teams to make this a national game.

Default Dump The Warriors.

Great to see the Western Reds trying to get back on track for an NRL licence. What is it with the NRL anyway? They are supposed to be the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE and yet all of our teams are on the eastern seaboard. Just think what would happen if a bid team from Darwin entered the competition. They would win the comp in the first year because no team could handle playing footy in that sort of climate. They could be called the Darwin Cyclones and blow all the opposition away. If the Jetstar Titans can succeed in getting an NRL licence any other bid team from around the country can do it also. Keep plugging away Western Reds or any other bid team. You WILL get there. Dump the Warriors and give their licence to another state that is keen on expanding our great game. It is the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE not NRLNZ. Go The TITANS!!!!!! All The Best To The WARL.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    Thats Nice.
    Once they make the NRL - they're my new 3rd team - screw the Cowboys.
    That's a bit harsh aint it? What did the Cowboys do to upset you like this. They're only doing their best with the available talent.

Are you one of these fair weather supporters who abandon ship when things don't go to your liking rather than weathering the storm and sticking by your 'teams' through good times and bad.

On the other hand, I do share your excitement for the return of the Reds. That's gotta be good for the growth of the game.
    We were born as Giants and nobody took us seriously.

We then grew into Seagulls as our parents nurtured us and we learned the ways of the Rugby League world.

Then in our adolescent years we became the upstart Chargers and caused furrowed brows among many of the 'High and Mighty'.

Now we are adults and the whole world will sit up and take notice that we've arrived and we're here to stay!

We have become and always will be THE GOLD COAST TITANS.