Default NSW: Anasta aims for Origin, as a forward

Anasta aims for Origin, as a forward
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 - 6:22 PM

Dumped NSW five-eighth Braith Anasta wants to resurrect his State of Origin career in 2007, this time as a forward.

A fully fit Anasta has trained at lock for the entire off-season with the Roosters after recovering from the groin surgery that crippled his first season at Bondi Junction.

"Rep football is always there and I'll always want to play it," Anasta said.

"I suppose if I'm doing my job well for the Roosters I'm going to get that opportunity."

Young Roosters halves Josh Lewis and Jamie Soward look likely to finally emerge under new Roosters coach Chris Anderson with Anasta's move to No.13.

But the former Bulldog wants to take it a step further and prove a point after he was dumped following Queensland's revival in game two of last year's Origin series.

"I've got a point to prove to myself," the 25-year-old said.

"I came to a new club and nothing went right last year, it was just a struggle here for everyone involved and I want to try and help turn things around for the club and get some personal form on the board.

"I don't have to keep trying to prove points to everyone else, I want to do it for myself."

Asked whether he had unfinished business at five-eighth, Anasta said: "No, not at all. I've played there for six, seven years and I've done everything I could in the position.

"I always thought that I'd end up there (at lock) and I've wanted to move there for a while.

"It's giving me more opportunity to play my own game and I'm just worried about my game, which is when I probably play my best.

"I'd really like to just make lock my home and do the best I can in that position."

Anasta's utility value could prove valuable to the Blues, particularly with them scratching around for a No.6.

Trent Barrett and Scott Hill have moved to England and NSW selectors will be praying ex-centres Mark Gasnier and Jamie Lyon can develop quickly into Origin-standard pivots.

Anasta said his game will still involve the creativity expected of a five-eighth.

"I'll probably take a step back with the kicking but I'll still be involved in all the creative side of things, trying to create opportunities for the team," he said.

"I'll just be more roving around the field, pretty much popping up anywhere anytime, still trying to create opportunities and as many as I can."

Source: AAP

Junior Titan

Hi All,

I would much rather see Luke O'Donnell playing lock for the Blues, with either Reni Maitua, Steve Simpson or even Alan Tongue getting a look in before Anasta.

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Quote Originally Posted by Parra Petty
    Hi All,

I would much rather see Luke O'Donnell playing lock for the Blues, with either Reni Maitua, Steve Simpson or even Alan Tongue getting a look in before Anasta.

Cheers,

Parra Petty
    The thing is Anasta holds the advantage of also having a kicking game.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Poida
    The thing is Anasta holds the advantage of also having a kicking game.
    True, but if you have a decent halves and hooker pairing, you won't need his kicking game. I would just rather see a hard hitting defensive backrower lile O'Donnell or Simpson chosen to support Hindmarsh and Ryan or whomever the other second rower will be.

I honestly beleive that Anasta must earn his Origin place back, and not be chose on reputation alone. O'Donnell, Simpson and Tongue all moved ahead of him in the pecking order last season, so it is up to Braith to change that.

Cheers,

Parra Petty

True, but if you have a decent halves and hooker pairing, you won't need his kicking game. I would just rather see a hard hitting defensive backrower lile O'Donnell or Simpson chosen to support Hindmarsh and Ryan or whomever the other second rower will be.

I honestly beleive that Anasta must earn his Origin place back, and not be chose on reputation alone. O'Donnell, Simpson and Tongue all moved ahead of him in the pecking order last season, so it is up to Braith to change that.

Cheers,

Parra Petty
    Thats true as well. But then everyone should be earning their spot

True, but if you have a decent halves and hooker pairing, you won't need his kicking game.
    Thats the thing though mate, I don't reckon NSW will. Anasta's kicking game may be what gets him the nod. If Gaz plays 5/8, regardless of how much better he's gotten in the off season, its unlikely he's acquired a rep class kicking game. I guess Danny Buderus is the likely hooker and he's not exactly renown for his kicking. Playing Anasta at lock as a second kicking option to whoever they throw in the 7 jersey may be a good option for NSW. If its Orford and his big game form keeps into Origin, Anasta may be the only kicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Thats the thing though mate, I don't reckon NSW will. Anasta's kicking game may be what gets him the nod. If Gaz plays 5/8, regardless of how much better he's gotten in the off season, its unlikely he's acquired a rep class kicking game. I guess Danny Buderus is the likely hooker and he's not exactly renown for his kicking. Playing Anasta at lock as a second kicking option to whoever they throw in the 7 jersey may be a good option for NSW. If its Orford and his big game form keeps into Origin, Anasta may be the only kicker.
    Thats why they need the 100% NRL Kicker.

Todd Carney - screw Gasnier, hes not a first class 5/8 its not his position, may as well give it to a rising star who has already played U20 Kangaroos.
    [

Carney wouldn't be out of place, one of the most undrrated players in the NRL, but I think he will be there one day.

If Reni continues to perform the way he did last season in 2007, Braith has no chance.... it's Reni, then Paul, then Daylight, then Braith ATM...

Good luck to him though, always good to see people aiming for their goals...

Titan Club Captain

pfft braith is pfft.

Titan First Grade Regular

*cough* Tonguey *cough*
    [

i dont no much about nsw players but puttin a 5-8th at front rower is kinda kooky
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"