71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ipswich Jets

10 14.08%
  • Tweed Heads Seagulls

27 38.03%
  • Burleigh Bears

34 47.89%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

CONGRATULATIONS to the Burleigh Bears who had a Pink Day at the game last week to raise money for breast cancer awareness.

They auctioned off the 17 pink players jerseys in the clubhouse after the game and managed to raise just under $10,000 from the jerseys alone. Their total went up over the $12,000 mark by the end of the night.

Great effort to all the bidders. The cheapest jersey went for $500 and the top seller sold at $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by dee13 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS to the Burleigh Bears who had a Pink Day at the game last week to raise money for breast cancer awareness.

They auctioned off the 17 pink players jerseys in the clubhouse after the game and managed to raise just under $10,000 from the jerseys alone. Their total went up over the $12,000 mark by the end of the night.

Great effort to all the bidders. The cheapest jersey went for $500 and the top seller sold at $1000.
    Good on 'em.

Looked like a good game on TV. Bit of dropped ball etc, but to be expected in the conditions. How good was the "up the guts" scrum based play! I love that sort of stuff. Almost scored too. Nice play.

But, as per this thread, are the Bears still a feeder club or not? Seems to be some suggestion going around the pubs that the Bears had some issues with the Titans ????????? Anyone know anything about this? Just some bar talk while watching footy the other day.

**edit** maybe not whether they are still a feeder club, but something to do with player selections for Titans. Anyone know/heard anything?
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 23-04-08 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Good on 'em.

Looked like a good game on TV. Bit of dropped ball etc, but to be expected in the conditions. How good was the "up the guts" scrum based play! I love that sort of stuff. Almost scored too. Nice play.

But, as per this thread, are the Bears still a feeder club or not? Seems to be some suggestion going around the pubs that the Bears had some issues with the Titans ????????? Anyone know anything about this? Just some bar talk while watching footy the other day.

**edit** maybe not whether they are still a feeder club, but something to do with player selections for Titans. Anyone know/heard anything?
    They are not a feeder club anymore & it was their choice not the Titans
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    They are not a feeder club anymore & it was their choice not the Titans
    OK, that's what i heard. Just wasn't sure if it was true. Cheers mate.

im a ex Burleigh Junior GO BEARS

I don’t question having multiple feeder clubs but I want to question having multiple feeder teams. I think sending players back into two systems doesn’t help their development or preparation or progression.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I don’t question having multiple feeder clubs but I want to question having multiple feeder teams. I think sending players back into two systems doesn’t help their development or preparation or progression.
    Agreed...what other team does it?

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Agreed...what other team does it?
    Broncos, Cowboys, Storm. I.e. anyone who has feeder teams competing in Qcup

Personally I'd much rather the Titans had their own Titans Qcup team (which they've pushed for and been rejected), but the QRL doesn't allow it. Having multiple feeder teams does have its perks but for mine the major issue is that it restricts the Titans ability to implement their own philosophy/coaching/sub-culture at that lower level, and gives them less control over the overall roster makeup which can hurt their own players pathways.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 13-09-22 at 06:14 AM.

Yep Panthers have that direct promotion pathway which is a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yep Panthers have that direct promotion pathway which is a huge advantage.
    Nearly all of the NSW teams do T. Harold Matts > SG Ball > Flegg > NSW Cup all under the NRL club's banner. Penrith are just the best at managing their (huge) catchment area, and put a lot of resources into developing and retaining the talent.

As far as I know the Titans want this in the equivalent QLD competitions but the QRL won't allow them to enter the competitions with a Titans team.

Other option is that they just abort altogether and enter the NSW comp instead with a Titans team, but then you've got a pretty substantial logistical and financial hurdle

I'm happy that the plan for Qld NRL club teams in a Reserve comp got knocked back.

But I can see the enormous benefits of it. It's difficult to see how we can balance it and also, as said, shape our culture too. Especially with how we are under resourced compared to other clubs. With my Titans hat on, I can see how appearing it is to sharpen our juniors and feeder system to a fine point.

A few months ago, this issue wasn't on my radar. But now I'm thinking about it and observing what other clubs do.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It's not a complex debate if Reserve Grade was re-introduced and the public probably want that game day experience but of course that is illogical because it would mean the demise of the QCup system. The NSW teams have a huge advantage with their system. You could argue that the Storm have fought the most difficult battle due to distance and their Falcons/Tigers alliance or the Cows with their Pride/Cutters version and that we have a geographic advantage at least being within the same region but that doesn't make it ideal ... just commenting.