Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default NSW: Andrew Johns in a possible return to origin

QRL bags a return for Johns

Steve Ricketts and Dean Ritchie
    January 31, 2007 11:00pm
    Article from: The Courier-Mail

QRL boss Ross Livermore yesterday laughed off rumours of a State of Origin comeback by Andrew Johns and urged the champion halfback to concentrate on club football.

Livermore said the battling Newcastle Knights needed Johns more than the NSW Blues and he did not believe the 32-year-old was capable of playing another Origin series.

Johns has been telling friends of a burning desire to return to Origin football in what could be his last season in Australia, with retirement or an English contract likely in 2008.

A veteran of 23 matches for NSW, Johns was unavailable for comment yesterday but sources indicated he desperately missed playing Origin last year and wants to help NSW avenge the 2006 series loss to Queensland.

Johns retired from representative football at the end of 2005 but was granted an exemption to play in last year's trans-Tasman Test in Brisbane.

"Joey had a winning farewell in the Test and he went out a winner in the Origin arena as well," Livermore said.

"He's better off concentrating on club football, especially as Newcastle are in a rebuilding stage under (new coach) Brian Smith and it could be a long, hard season.

"I think that last year took its toll on Joey and no matter how good he feels now he risks being run off his feet by the young bucks if he comes back to Origin."

Johns would have to apply to the ARL for permission to return to representative football and he would have to be available for this year's trans-Tasman Test in Brisbane on April 20.

North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston is the Test and Queensland incumbent and whether Johns is available or not it is likely he will get the nod for the Brisbane Test, even though Australian coach Ricky Stuart is a huge fan of Johns and was instrumental in getting him to play last year.

"Joey can't pick and choose his games. He has to be available for the lot," Livermore said. "But I'll believe it when I see it."

Johns's older brother Matthew said Andrew could consider a return to Origin if he felt good after the first six rounds of the NRL.

"I think if a player like Andrew is still capable of playing Origin then it would enter his head he has pulled the pin too early," Matthew said.

NSW coach Graham Murray said he believed the selectors would consider Johns if he was available but NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr said he was not in a position to comment on a Johns comeback "because he has in fact retired".

There is a clause in Johns's Knights contract preventing him from playing representative football, and football manager Steve Crowe said the club would not consider releasing Johns for NSW unless he made an official request.

Johns's manager John Fordham said the player had thought long and hard before declining an invitation to play in Origin I last year after NSW was hit hard by injuries.

The Courier Mail

If he wants to ruin his fairy tale end to representative football than let him.....He probably doesn't realise that there are two games at Suncorp this year....and I doubt he would survive the first

A few things:

1. This is the Daily Telegraph and Dean Ritchie's work that has sent the morning talkback radio's in to a frenzy. As per usual, a "source" has relayed this information - there are no direct quotes from Andrew Johns himself.

Andrew Johns has stated this is likely to be his last season in the NRL in which he may look at seeking a release from the final year of his contract to play for Warrington - I cannot see Johns or the Knights moving ahead with any such Origin comeback. Johns for mine will put all his efforts in to bring one last title to Newcastle.

2. Johns's Newcastle contract states he had to retire from rep footy and only gained an exemption to play in his "farewell" test in 2006.

3. Any comeback would have to be unconditional. Johns should not be allowed to come back and play Origin yet not make himself available for the May Test and Tri-Nations.

4. At 1-1 in last year's Origin Johns ruled out any "S.O.S" for his services - what has changed? Not much - he is one year older and on his last legs in the NRL competition.

I am a huge Andrew Johns fan - this seems to be a piece designed to bring attention to the paper and fill some space on the back page after a pretty dismal one day series featuring Australia and New Zealand (we won't include England there understandably).

Personally, the more we get to see Johns in action the better though I just don't see it happening and nor should it if Johns cannot commit to the Australian jumper as well.

Joey 'considers' Blues return
    FOX SPORTS
    By Dean Ritchie
    February 01, 2007

ANDREW Johns is considering making himself available for a shock comeback to State of Origin this year in the New South Wales jumper.

Johns is telling friends of a burning desire to return and represent the Blues again in what could be his final season in Australia.

Johns was not commenting yesterday but sources indicate he desperately missed playing Origin last year and wants to help NSW avenge the 2006 series loss to Queensland.

But there are some obstacles to leap before a possible Johns comeback: his individual form and that of his NRL club, Newcastle Knights.

If Johns's form is strong over the first six weeks of the Premiership and Newcastle is winning, then he is a real chance to return.

If his form is down, his body is struggling and the Knights are battling, he would remain in representative retirement.

Johns's Knights contract states he cannot play representative football but, given his standing in Newcastle, he would have little trouble gaining an exemption.

Rated by some as the greatest player of all time, Johns retired from representative football after the 2005 State of Origin series.

He received an exemption last year to represent Australia in the April Test against New Zealand.

This year will almost certainly be Johns's last in the NRL - he is contracted until the end of 2008, however - before he heads to England for a probable stint with Warrington.

"I think if a player like Andrew is still capable of playing State of Origin, then it would enter his head that he has pulled the pin too early," brother Matthew said.

But Matthew warned: "Andrew could be feeling tired through the middle stages of the season and it will depend whether he has the energy mentally and physically."

One source close to Johns said: "Origin has certainly entered Joey's mind."

Blues coach Graham Murray added: "If Joey does make himself available, I'm sure the selectors would take a real close look at him."

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said Johns is officially retired from rep football.

"He has retired from rep football and we respect his decision," Carr said.

"We're not in a position to comment (on a comeback) because he has in fact retired."

Knights football manager Steve Crowe confirmed the clause in Johns's contract forbidding him to play rep football.

"We won't consider that (relaxing the clause) until it becomes an issue or an official request," Crowe said.

"It wouldn't be something we would discuss in January, only if and when it becomes an issue."

There are no suggestions that Johns wants to return and play for Australia in the Anzac Test against New Zealand in April.

Johns's manager John Fordham said his client had not committed to Origin this year.

"There's no player more passionate about Origin than Andrew Johns," Fordham said.

"He really missed playing Origin last year and when he was approached to cover injuries on the eve of Origin I he thought about it long and hard before declining the invitation.

"You would, however, have to say the likelihood of him making an Origin comeback in 2007 are extremely remote, especially as he has been formally granted an exemption from representative football as well as having a clause in his Knights contract ruling him out of playing Origin from 2006 onwards."

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan Club Captain

Hmm theres abit of a difference between WANTING to play, and actually getting picked to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    If he wants to ruin his fairy tale end to representative football than let him.....He probably doesn't realise that there are two games at Suncorp this year....and I doubt he would survive the first
    haha I think your probably right there.

Seriously though, is it April already? Did I miss the first 10 rounds and City/Country? The "Joey possible to play Origin" headlines are getting earlier!

He won't play. Surely he's wise enough to see he's no longer good for it, and Newcastle need him more than ever this season. After 1 test and about 20 rounds last year, Joey had already started to get frustrated and lose his head. He's just not what he used to be. It would be a great shame if one of the greatest was to go out like so too many do with people saying "excellent player, one of the best, geeze he shoulda hang the boots up sooner though, made a goose of himself."
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Joey won't be bouncing back
    February 01, 2007

ANDREW Johns today ruled out a State of Origin comeback for New South Wales and said he was only committed to his NRL club, Newcastle Knights, this year.

The halfback denied a report in Sydney newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, this morning which said he was contemplating a return for the BLues in the 2007 Origin series.

Johns retired from representative football prior to last year's Origin series, which was won by Queensland.

While he admitted it was difficult watching the Blues surrender the Origin trophy, the 32 year old confirmed he was not interested in playing for them this year to try and reverse the result.

Johns said his Knights' contract has a clause preventing him from playing representative football and his main concern will be winning another Premiership with the club.

"There's a clause in my contract saying I cannot play rep football which pretty much puts it to bed," Johns said on Southern Cross Radio today.

"I'm more interested in just playing for the Knights and hopefully winning a Premiership in one of my last years."

Johns is contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2008, although it is possible he could retire at the end of this year and finish his career in the UK.

The Knights last won the NRL Premiership in 2001, and have only won one other title previously to that, in 1997.

AAP

from www.foxsports.com.au

Well it kept people talking for a few hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan Club Captain

Well..he got some media attention didn't he!

Even if he returned it would still mean Queensland would win

Johns hints at State of Origin comeback

Friday, March 23, 2007 - 6:29 PM

Newcastle halfback Andrew Johns will put his hand up for a State of Origin comeback this year if his form is good enough.

Johns, who rejected an SOS to play for the Blues in last year's Origin opener, had reportedly been telling friends of his desire to play for NSW again and on Friday night confirmed he is considering a sensational comeback.

"I'm going to wait a couple of weeks out and if my form's good enough then I'll put my hand up for selection," Johns told the Nine Network.

"Up until then it's a guessing game, I haven't played hardly any football, I haven't trained too much in the last two months so there's a lot of ifs and buts in there."

Johns' comments come just a day after Newcastle director Paul Harragon assured he would let no-one stand in the way if Johns wanted an Origin return.

Johns currently has a clause in his deal with the Knights preventing him from playing Origin and Test football in the final two years of his contract.

"I think everyone knows State of Origin is the ultimate football, so if I did decide to go then the club wouldn't stand in my way - that's definitely a positive," Johns said of Harragon's comments, but adding he hadn't approached the club about a comeback.

Blues coach Graham Murray admitted this week he would love to have the champion halfback in his side.
    "Any coach of NSW would like to see him available. I'm no different," Murray said.

"He would bring to NSW what Darren Lockyer brings to Queensland."

Source: AAP

Andrew Johns is above the law - it looks like he will make himself available AFTER the May Test so as he is not considered for the Australian jumper (would he be selected over incumbent and Origin winning half Johnathan Thurston?).

In any event, I want to see as much of Andrew Johns play before retiring so I am not too concerned, he adds to Origin and it would be great to see if he can reverse last year's result.

The 2005 fairytale end to his Origin career won't be topped - his legacy is assured no doubt - though the new halfback king Johnathan Thurston steering the Origin champions around in 2007 with the world's best player in Lockyer may just see him leave with a sour taste in his mouth

I wouldnt mind watching Johns play Origin again
    Obviously I will never ever want the Blues to win because of it but he does have a good record of providing that for them.
    I hope Qld can finally end this dominance he has over them( Thats if he does play)

Johns OK for Origin comeback: coach

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:09 PM

The only person standing in the way of Andrew Johns making a return to State of Origin now appears to be the man himself with Newcastle coach Brian Smith giving the comeback his blessing on Tuesday.

"I would never stand in the way of any player, ever," Smith said of the possible Origin swansong for his captain and halfback.

Johns was on Tuesday named to make his return for the Knights in Monday night's clash against Canberra, the champion playmaker still needing to pass a series of tests before being cleared to take on the Raiders.

Johns hasn't played since being knocked unconscious by Bulldogs forward Sonny Bill Williams four minutes into the opening game of the season.

He last played for NSW in 2005, when he masterminded a dramatic come-from-behind series victory for the Blues, and officially retired from representative football after last year's Anzac Test.

"The players train so hard and that's the epitome, I would imagine, for players of rugby league, to play Origin," Smith said.

"Even though he's been there and done it before and proven himself, that's what makes champion players champion players, they want to do it again.

"He knows how I feel, the club knows how I feel but it's really first thing's first.

"Andrew's got to get some form on the board, if he does that and he wants to do it, well then we can sort out the rest of it."

Smith's backing follows similar sentiments from Knights board member Paul Harragon, while NSW coach Graham Murray has stated he would welcome Johns back into the fold for this year's series.

Johns would still need permission from the ARL to rescind his representative retirement, but the governing body would be unlikely to stand in his way for it would surely mean more bums on seats, especially for game two in Sydney.

That means the only obstacle is Johns declaring his availability, the 32-year-old having stated that he wanted to see how his form was before making a decision.

If he is passed fit to play against the Raiders on Monday he will have seven matches in which to gauge his form before the opening game of the series on May 23.

Smith was extremely confident his halfback would take the field against Canberra.

"He did some running yesterday and did some super-sets in the gym; your ears are popping doing those I believe," he said.

"Today he's done a weight session again this morning. He's doing the swimming session this afternoon.

"He's just going ahead as if he's ready to go."
    Source: AAP

**** tell him to make up his mind, he is either retired or not retired. Im a NSW supporter and **** me dead we either neeed to find someone new or him hurry up and choose.