Default Titans: Who will replace Carney?

Titans: Who will replace Carney?

With the sudden retirement of international winger Brian Carney, our strength on the flanks is all of a sudden weaker than anticipated this close to the start of the NRL season.

Chris Walker - is he assured one wing
    spot for our round one clash?

Former Origin star Chris Walker is impressing all the right people with his attitude and work ethic at training in which we would expect him to get one wing position assuming he trials well. This would leave one vacant position on the wing - who fills that role?

The contenders will come from:

- Shannon Walker (Australian schoolboy, Titans Elite Academy)

- Nathan Barnes (Tweed Seagulls)

- Smith Samau (Gold Coast Titans)

- Matt Petersen (Gold Coast Titans)

- Jake Webster (Gold Coast Titans)

- Richie Mathers (Gold Coast Titans)
    Proven NRL first grader Matt Petersen did have exploratory surgery on his right knee on the 15th January - I am not sure of his status for the first trial. Petersen has an admirer in Carty who coached him when the USA took on the Australians a couple of seasons ago - he may have the inside running though I don't expect "Sideshow" to hold out some the brilliant youngsters we have on the books.

Jake Webster I believe is a better winger than centre - I would have him on the flanks until Smith Samau, Shannon Walker or Nathan Barnes were ready to step up to first grade. If he is not on the wing, he will start in the centres with O'Dwyer or Delaney.

Smith Samau as a prospect is exciting. Team mate Jake Webster compared his sidestep recently to "a Benji Marshall or Karmichael Hunt" ... I think we have a real crowd pleaser on our hands and he is the darkhorse to start round one against the Stg Illawarra Dragons.

Who do you think will fill the void left by Brian Carney?

Junior Titan

Hey Deegan,

I am a Matt Petersen fan (unlike a certain other member on this forum), but I would prefer to have Webster / Walker on one side, and Rogers / Barnes on the other, with Mathers at the back.

I am a big fan of Barne, and at 24, I think he is mature enough to take the step up - remember he did top the QRL try scoring ranks last year, and he has a phenomenal strike rate of 57 tries in 62 games in the QRL!

I say let Samau play in the QRL for a while, and see how he develops.

Cheers,

Parra Petty.

I'd not mind seeing some of the young schoolboy talent we've got come through.
    That said, they'll probably only get a look in if there's some injuries.
    Would definitely like to see Mathers in the 1 jersey, Rogers could go into the centres, pushing Webster out wide.
    Hard to say until the trials and we see how everyone performs. Even with the loss of Carney, I think it's going to be one of the most contested positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I'd not mind seeing some of the young schoolboy talent we've got come through.
    That said, they'll probably only get a look in if there's some injuries.
    Would definitely like to see Mathers in the 1 jersey, Rogers could go into the centres, pushing Webster out wide.
    Hard to say until the trials and we see how everyone performs. Even with the loss of Carney, I think it's going to be one of the most contested positions.
    So true.

If we keep healthy (hard to do in the modern game) we have healthy competition in our team. Fingers crossed.

Shannon Walker (Australian schoolboy, Titans Elite Academy)

- Nathan Barnes (Tweed Seagulls)

- Smith Samau (Gold Coast Titans)

- Matt Petersen (Gold Coast Titans)

- Jake Webster (Gold Coast Titans)

- Richie Mathers (Gold Coast Titans)
    We have it covered!

I'd love to see Webster or Josh Graham. Nothing like having big blockbusting Wingers to take some hit-ups and relieve the forwards. The chase team also has their work cut-out having to pull down the big blokes with the line spread thin.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I think Walker and then Barnes. Luckily this is a position we have some extra troops in.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

So does all this mean Matt Rogers will be playing somewhere other than on the wing this year? Has his time playing other positions like inside centre (a position that basically no longer exists in league, we have left and right centres these days), flyhalf, and fullback in rugby onion convinced the titans he is no longer a winger? I can't remember him ever playing anywhere except on the wing before he switched codes. Mind you, I think Matty will be a major boost for the team, wherever they play him.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Titan First Grade Squad BrisbaneBroncosRule's Avatar

Mathers should play fullback.

and i wanna see Samau play on the wing, i love his name
    Last edited by BrisbaneBroncosRule; 05-02-07 at 01:45 PM.

I LOVE MICHEL

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneBroncosRule
    Mathers should play fullback.
    I agree, its his best position.
    [

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

I dont know who'll replace him! I wish we didnt have to..im really upset!!