Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default O'Donnel No Rush To Re-Sign With Cowboys

O'Donnell in no rush for Cowboys re-sign

January 31, 2007 - 5:09PM

In a worrying sign for the North Queensland Cowboys, Test backrower Luke O'Donnell says he won't be using recovery time from elbow surgery to think about his NRL future.

O'Donnell, 26, will be sidelined for three weeks after undergoing surgery in Sydney when floating bone was found in his elbow just one week back into pre-season training.

However, O'Donnell says he is in no rush to resume talks with the Cowboys who are hoping to lock the rugged forward into a long-term deal.

O'Donnell - who is off contract at the end of 2007 - said he would "consider all options".

"I'm not in a real rush to do anything. I'll just let it all play out - if it takes a while, it takes a while," he said.

"I'm not too worried to get anything sealed in the next few weeks.

"As far as spare time goes (recovering from injury), I will still be training every day."

His manager Wayne Beavis began preliminary talks with the Cowboys at the end of 2006 but were called off by O'Donnell so he could "clear his mind" following a gruelling but successful Tri Nations campaign for Australia.

Speculation has been rife that NSW-bred O'Donnell may be headed south after spending the majority of his two month off-season break in Sydney with family and friends.

Asked if he was interested in playing for another club, O'Donnell said: "I wouldn't really come out and say I would leave the Cowboys straight out because that's not the case.

"I am going to sit back and consider all my options. It's the logical thing to do in a position that I am in now."

But Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said he had "no doubt" Beavis had begun talks with other clubs.

"That's a fact of life now with the new anti-tampering laws (June 30 deadline being scrapped)," Parr said.

"He's well in his rights to talk to other clubs. We have no problems with that.

"No one ever thought this was going to be an easy decision for Luke.

"We'll let it play out at Luke's pace."

O'Donnell is expected to be fit for the Cowboys' final pre-season game against Manly at Cairns on March 3.

O'Donnell said the floating bone was found by scans after he injured his right elbow during a wrestling drill at training.

However, the NSW forward said it was not known how long he may have been carrying the injury.

"I'm not sure. I've had sore elbows from time to time, I couldn't pinpoint the exact time I injured it," he said.

"I was getting loss of movement, there was locking in the elbow so we decided to fix it before the season."

Meanwhile, Parr said David Faiumu and Rod Jensen (off-season shoulder surgery) were expected to return ahead of schedule and play at least one Cowboys pre-season trial.

? 2007 AAP
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...919394187.html

Smart man, No need to rush from his point of view! If he did, could turn out like the Turner saga, but lets not go into that! Really hope he stays with the cowboys though!

GO THE MAROONS!

He'd be a loss for the Cowboys, thats for sure. He's probably the most consistent draw card in the Nth. QLD pack, with Webb's somewhat hot and cold form. I'm sure a lot of clubs will interested in O'Donnel, but it'd be in the Cowboys best interests to go as hard as they financially can to keep him I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Damn, this sucks, the raiders dont play them in the first 3 weeks.
    [

Junior Titan Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan's Avatar

I think he'll re-sign... Sorry... I HOPE TO GOD he re-signs... but he's doing what anyone who had half a brain would be... in a few months after the start of this year he might play even better then he has been and he will then be able to ask for a higher price.
    Last edited by Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan; 31-01-07 at 10:23 PM.

GO COWBOYS, TITANS, BUNNIES AND MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
    I think he'll resign... Sorry... I HOPE TO GOD he resigns... but he's doing what anyone who had half a brain would be... in a few months after the start of this year he might play even better then he has been and he will then be able to ask for a higher price.
    Dont you mean re-sign.

BAH PADDY!!!

You know what I ment...

You ARE truly a spelling nazi

BAH PADDY!!!

You know what I ment...

You ARE truly a spelling nazi
    Heheheehe why not.

:satan: :satan:

lol, I don't think anyone would think I ment he should resign as in quit ... haha... If he did that... I would slap something across the face with a pair of gloves.

lol, I don't think anyone would think I ment he should resign as in quit ... haha... If he did that... I would slap something across the face with a pair of gloves.
    Lol i did thats how much of a spelling nazi i am HAHAHA :lol!:

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Lol i did thats how much of a spelling nazi i am HAHAHA :lol!:
    Lol, I did. That's how much of a spelling nazi I am Hahaha. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sark
    Lol, I did. That's how much of a spelling nazi I am Hahaha. ***
    There you go Cowboys Rabbit Fan . Sarky outdid me lol.

haha, Sark mate.. you outdid Paddy... that's really something. You should be proud of yourself... i think haha

Lol. He isn't that much of a spelling nazi

No, but he's some sort of Nazi , at least you both have good taste... GO THE COWBOYS!