Default Brett's goal to be Titan's goal kicker

Brett's goal to be Titan's goal kicker

GUN 21-year-old Titan Brett Delaney can't wait for when the Gold Coast kick off their inaugural National Rugby League campaign.

Because chances are he will literally be the one doing it.

Delaney has staked his claim to become the Gold Coast's first-string kicker following an impressive season with the boot at Parramatta last year.

"What ever happens, happens, but I am hoping to get that No.1 kicking spot," said Delaney.

"I know what it takes to be a kicker now. I don't mind the pressure that comes with it."

The talented young centre made 15 first-grade appearances for the Eels last season, running in three tries and kicking 27 conversions at an average of 67.5 per cent.

Titans captain Scott Prince booted 20 conversions for Wests Tigers last season with 71.43 per cent accuracy while former Panther Preston Campbell landed 73 from 103 attempts to run at 70.87 per cent.

Rugby union recruit Mat Rogers is also in the mix for kicking duties.

"I have got to prove myself up here now," said 188cm, 98kg Delaney, who is on a three-year deal with the Titans.

"My goals this year are to get one of those centre spots and cement it for the rest of the year, stay injury free and have a really good year with the Titans.

"I have been training really well and it is exciting being with a new team and I am excited about the future."

Coach John Cartwright said he is yet to make up his mind on who will shoulder the top job for the Titans this season and will use upcoming trials and training sessions to make a decision.

"We will sort that out through our goal kicking practice but certainly, he (Delaney) would be one of the favourites at this stage," said Cartwright.

"He is young and I think all of his best football is in front of him.

"He can kick goals from anywhere, is only 21 and is a really exciting player to watch."

The Titans will play their first trial match against arch rivals Melbourne in Coffs Harbour in three weeks, on February 17.

They will take on Parramatta in Lismore on February 24 before clashing with Penrith in their final trial outing at Gold Coast Stadium on March 2.

Cartwright is likely to field largely experimental sides for the Melbourne and Parramatta matches before giving a more accurate glimpse of his top 13 when the Titans make their Gold Coast debut.

The Titans will open their NRL season against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.

Source: http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

Default yes and no

i think he should be kicker for some reasons. It will relieve a lot of pressure off presto and prince who have other duties...and he is right in saying he understands the role... if you looked at his kicking % in reserves compared to firsts it is significantly different.. i think the pressure got to him... if he has passed that he should be choice kicker.. by contrast, i think prince is the best kicker at the moment

I'm just glad the problem is deciding which of four players it's going to be. There should never be an issue if someone is out for origin or injury.

Pressure certainly isn't an issue for Preston. Never seen someone so nonchalant about kicking goals.

Junior Titan

At the end of the day goal kicking is all just lining it up and striking it good, hence why Presto "appears" so nonchalant, once the ball is set up you just need a good strike and away it goes, easy really hahaha.

PEACE

he has to get a start in the team 1st
    Last edited by patskE; 30-01-07 at 01:18 AM.

Titans are in a good position to be in, 4 players all quite capable of booting plenty of Conversions. I would have thought Matt Rogers would have been first on the pecking order, but seriously, out of those 4 mentioned, I'm not too fussed who gets it, they're all very good!

GO THE MAROONS!

Delaney should do kicking as I seen how he kicks and its a good action. Much better than Campbell

delaney is by far the best kicker, besides rogers
    but depends if he can make 1st grade consistant

Junior Titan

I know this may sound strange, but there is a bit of difference kicking union balls, than there is league balls - just ask Clinton Schifcofske!

That being said, I would rather ease Rogers back into league - I know he possesses an awesome kicking %age, but I think that the Titans should just let him settle back into the NRL, and not hand him the kicking duties straight away.

So for this reason, I would probably have Delaney or Prince kicking - while Campbell is a fantastic player, you can just tell that he doesn'y take his goal kicking as seriously as other kickers around.

If Delaney can crack a first grade centre spot, than I say let him have first kick!

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Titan First Grade Regular

The way the Union ball is designed makes it easier to kick some-how, it didn't stop Schifkofski from being the best percentage kicker in the world from both codes, but anyway, it might take a bit for Rogers to get used to it.
    [