Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Inglis Storm 5/8th?

in position change

AUSTRALIA'S best rugby league winger is moving to five-eighth.

Melbourne Storm wants star youngster Greg Inglis to become more involved in its playmaking, and it is expected the 20 year old will wear the No.6 jumper this year.

Inglis filled several backline roles in his breakout 2006 NRL season, flitting largely between fullback and the wing in scoring 18 tries.

But with veteran five-eighth Scott Hill having left the 2006 runner-up for England, Storm coach Craig Bellamy wants the ball in Inglis's hands more often.

"It's fair to say Craig is looking to get Greg closer to the action," football operations manager Dean Lance said yesterday.

Inglis was named on the wing in a World XIII team after starring throughout last year's Tri-Nations series in which he was leading tries scorer in the No.5 Australia jumper.

He was also joint leader in line breaks - 26 all up with Newcastle Knights winger Brian Carney - in last year's NRL competition, with Inglis's powerful and elusive running ability regularly leaving far more experienced players in his wake.

The shake-up would add another formidable element to an already potent backline.

With Inglis in the halves alongside last season's Dally M halfback of the year Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater would return permanently to his favourite fullback position.

New South Wales and Kangaroos centre Matt King appears likely to team up with Newcastle recruit Anthony Quinn in the centres, with veteran Matt Geyer and Steve Turner on the wings.

Quinn has settled in well in pre-season training and is expected to take the place of departed Kiwi Test centre Jake Webster in the No.4 jumper for Storm's three trial matches.

Lance said forward Ryan Hoffman, who played most of last season with a fractured wrist, recently had his plaster removed after post-season surgery and is raring to go.

But Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said he was likely to be kept under wraps until the third pre-season match, at home against grand final nemesis Brisbane at Princes Park on March 3.

Powerhouse forward Michael Crocker, who tore the lateral ligament in his left knee during last year's preliminary final, has recovered well from surgery.

After recently resuming jogging, Crocker is a chance to return within the first month of the regular season.

Others in doubt for the opening rounds include Brett White, who is having a shoulder reconstruction, and Storm's 2006 rookie of the year Adam Blair, who had surgery after suffering a foot injury playing for New Zealand in the Tri-Nations.

Source: http://www.FOXSPORTS.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

inglis is a freek im sure he will make a good job at 5/8

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Inglis getting the ball more often is a scary thought for the opposing side. It is going to be exciting to see what Inglis does in this position.

Junior Titan

It's funny to think that up to 5 clubs will be experimenting with new 5/8ths for next season.

Titans
    Dragons
    Penrith
    Storm
    Roosters

Very exciting.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by philstorm
    It's funny to think that up to 5 clubs will be experimenting with new 5/8ths for next season.

Titans
    Dragons
    Penrith
    Storm
    Roosters

Very exciting.
    Eels have Finch now forthe 5/8
    [

Storm are firming as my favourite for team to beat in '07.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Storm are firming as my favourite for team to beat in '07.
    I think Manly might be actually.
    [

Titan One Clubman

I'm not sold on the idea, I think it would put a lot of pressure on Cronk for last tackle plays, yes Cameron Smith also has a decent boot on him, but he can't kick out of dummy half all the time...

I'm just not a fan of weakening a position to try strengthen another one..

I think it would be a good bet for a Brisbane Melbourne GF, with Melbourne to win

In fact that where my money lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan

5/8s need to be ball players not just ball runners,youll see this year with Mark Gasnier at 5/8.Sorry Dragons fans. Gaz is an awesome player but seriously he cant read the play for other players that well.Inglis is more damaging in broken play and on the outside.Just becuase Darren Lockyer made the transition doesnt mean everyone can.He's Darren Lockyer after all.Read his stats from the last few years in attack (try assists, offloads,trys etc.)

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Schifty
    I'm not sold on the idea, I think it would put a lot of pressure on Cronk for last tackle plays, yes Cameron Smith also has a decent boot on him, but he can't kick out of dummy half all the time...

I'm just not a fan of weakening a position to try strengthen another one..
    Why? Scott Hill had a shocking kicking game...Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk shared the kicking duties and it took them to the minor premiership.

Now the Storm introduce Inglis (possibly) who can kick off either foot, step off either foot, run like a gazelle, fends like Jonah Lomu, and breaks tackles like no-one we've seen. I think it might be ok.

That being said, if it doesn't work, we have some able replacements at 5/8th and can simply move him back to centre or wing or fullback. As you say in business...its a 'no regrets' play.

PS - If Inglis scores a try in 8 out of every 10 games he plays, imagine now giving him the ball in every set of six, as opposed to every two or three sets...
    Last edited by Lowdown; 27-01-07 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown
    Why? Scott Hill had a shocking kicking game...Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk shared the kicking duties and it took them to the minor premiership.

Now the Storm introduce Inglis (possibly) who can kick off either foot, step off either foot, run like a gazelle, fends like Jonah Lomu, and breaks tackles like no-one we've seen. I think it might be ok.

That being said, if it doesn't work, we have some able replacements at 5/8th and can simply move him back to centre or wing or fullback. As you say in business...its a 'no regrets' play.

PS - If Inglis scores a try in 8 out of every 10 games he plays, imagine now giving him the ball in every set of six, as opposed to every two or three sets...
    Those are my thoughts too. Scott Hill was a crafty lock. Inglis is an unknown quantity, but things he does suggest he could make any backline position his own with a bit of work. He's only young, played a bit of 5/8 in his junior career, the sky really is the limit for his kids potential. But if it doesn't work, like Lowdown said, nothing is lost by moving back to fullback, wing or centre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Junior Titan

To be honest, I believe he was moved to 5/8th so they could fit in Slater, King and Folau into the backline down the track when Geyer retires.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ
    5/8s need to be ball players not just ball runners,youll see this year with Mark Gasnier at 5/8.Sorry Dragons fans. Gaz is an awesome player but seriously he cant read the play for other players that well.Inglis is more damaging in broken play and on the outside.Just becuase Darren Lockyer made the transition doesnt mean everyone can.He's Darren Lockyer after all.Read his stats from the last few years in attack (try assists, offloads,trys etc.)
    Not always. The Cowboys have done it plenty of times and with success with Justin Smith at 5/8.

Interesting thing to hear Bellamy say this earlier last week on Radio... I was a bit hesitant at first to hear it.. but it actually makes quite reasonable sense.

Inglis is great with the feet, good with the hands and has a great footballing mind... so 5/8th would suit him to a tee... however the only issue I have with it is how long will it take him to pick it up, and should Melbourne be reducing Inglis chances of playing for state and country by doing this.

I reckon if Inglis gets picked at 5/8th this season, it will hamper his rep chances so that could be an issue IMO, as Lockyer is the incumbent choice for a while yet... however overall I am looking forward to seeing Inglis closer to the ball, he is devastating at Number 1 and 2, watch him fly at number 6.