Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think you will see the STorm take a downward turn witht the loss of Scott Hill to England. Hill is more than just a great 5/8 but a top team player. He can lift a team when it is down and steer the whole team around the park. I think Inglis, even though he is shaping to be one of the greats, is not the answer to this.
    Will be interesting to see.
    Smithy
    Titan Fan #1
    Bring on 2007

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy
    I think you will see the STorm take a downward turn witht the loss of Scott Hill to England. Hill is more than just a great 5/8 but a top team player. He can lift a team when it is down and steer the whole team around the park. I think Inglis, even though he is shaping to be one of the greats, is not the answer to this.
    It wasn't really a loss, they had this planned I think.
    They offered Scotty a contract but said that if he stayed he would play reserve grade for most of the season.
    [

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy
    I agree- it's just the Storm don't have a 5/8, so they are looking to make one out of a 20year old that is very versitile....BUT I think Inglis is better suited for Fullback (good under high ball, chimes in well, and being behind the play should be able to hit more line opennings) but hey where do you put Billy Slater.

I mean Greg Inglis only played on the wing for Qld & Australia because he was to good to leave out, but I like him at fullback (or centres)..

Difference between a GREAT and a person who had the potential is generally whether their career gets stopped by alot of injuries....If Greg goes though without many injuries he'll be a great ( prepare to put the Broncos' David Taylor up there too with his potential and if he lasts!)

But yeah I bet most teams wish they had the dilemma that Melbourne have on where to play Inglis...

Inglis Is a Super Freak, it is scary to think what he could do at 5/8!

But, in saying that, I would still prefer him at fullback, or on the wing.

GO THE MAROONS!

with slater looming to sign for another 3 years why wouldnt you play Inglis at 5/8.

he has the potential to become anything, aka benji marshal

:hi:

Created by JEZZA

"The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all, is the person who argues with him."

This is a bad move IMO.

Cronk and Inglis arnt really that creative which means Smith is going to be pushed to his limits and he may not be able to handle it.

I dont know why Melbourne are keeping him away from his best position fullback. So what if Slater is there Inglis is already 10x the player he is.

Melbournes best option at five-eighth is Russel Aitkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    This is a bad move IMO.

Cronk and Inglis arnt really that creative which means Smith is going to be pushed to his limits and he may not be able to handle it.

I dont know why Melbourne are keeping him away from his best position fullback. So what if Slater is there Inglis is already 10x the player he is.

Melbournes best option at five-eighth is Russel Aitkins.
    How is Cronk not creative? the Cooper-Trooper is awesome!
    And how is Inglis not creative? he creates stuff all the time!

And you can't keep Slater out of first-grade, for a younger guy who can be adapted to play in a number of other positions.
    [

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311

however the only issue I have with it is how long will it take him to pick it up, and should Melbourne be reducing Inglis chances of playing for state and country by doing this.

I reckon if Inglis gets picked at 5/8th this season, it will hamper his rep chances so that could be an issue IMO, as Lockyer is the incumbent choice for a while yet... however overall I am looking forward to seeing Inglis closer to the ball, he is devastating at Number 1 and 2, watch him fly at number 6.

When making positional changes like this anything other than what's good for the club team in question shouldn't and doesn't come into consideration. I hardly think Bellamy even gave a second thought to what it will do to his rep career and nor should he have.

He's a Storm player first and foremost who he plays with week in week out and they're the organisation that's paying him his million plus contract and the team he'll be with for at least the next 4 years. With that being the case the Queensland and Australian sides don't even come into consideration when it comes to where he plays and i can't believe that was even mentioned in all honesty.

No matter where he plays if the Queensland and Australian selectors don't pick him in the side it's more fool them anyway. I think you'll find even if he stars at 5/8 he'll still be wearing the Maroon and the Green and Gold in some position. You just don't leave a player like G. Inglis sitting on the sidelines.

Junior Titan

The answer to that is as simple as it is obvious. Inglis has starred no matter where Bellamy has put him as everyone has witnessed many many times. When you take him away from his preferred position (fullback) the team is losing absolutely nothing in regards to him playing elsewhere. As mentioned he pretty much dominates equally in any position.

As for Billy, it's not like you can place him any position and you'll still get the best out of him like Inglis. With Slater he needs to play fullback to get the best out of him hence why he stays there. If you've seen him play in any other spot other than FB you'll see quite clearly he's nowhere near as comfortable there and it's showed when it was experimented with and that's why it never stayed that way.

Why would you negate a player who can be very damaging in his preferred position (slater) when you just don't have to? It just doesn't make sense to do that whatever way you look at it.When he plays anywhere else you're just losing that extra fire power so to speak that he provides in the full back position. The bottom line is you gain much more having Billy play at full back and Inglis on the wing or wherever than what lose by having it the opposite way around.

The first way you have 2 players playing at pretty much their best and the latter way you have one at their best and one below it. To have it any other way than how it has been just wouldn't make sense.
    Last edited by Supernova; 30-01-07 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    How is Cronk not creative? the Cooper-Trooper is awesome!
    And how is Inglis not creative? he creates stuff all the time!

And you can't keep Slater out of first-grade, for a younger guy who can be adapted to play in a number of other positions.
    The plays Cronk and Inglis make different plays to what the usual halves make.

and to what Supernova said your right but i just hate seeing great players left out of there best position.

and to what Supernova said your right but i just hate seeing great players left out of there best position.
    Then why complain about Slater staying at full-back?

And, no-one knows what Inglis' best position is yet, buddy.
    [

Junior Titan

Inglis at 6 would be all good, I mean as long as he can pass the kick (every now and then) then he will be fine. Its the outside runners that create space not so much the ball players, all they have to do is have the vision to hit the player on the chest with the pass. So all in all if the runners hit the holes, then Inglis just needs to get them the ball, if there are no holes he just needs to drop a fend and run. Simple really, many people tend to over complicate the 5/8 position when it isnt really that difficult.

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    And, no-one knows what Inglis' best position is yet, buddy.

I have watched Inglis lots of times and IMO he just dominates so much at fullback and plays better than what he would in other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 6one9
    Inglis at 6 would be all good, I mean as long as he can pass the kick (every now and then) then he will be fine. Its the outside runners that create space not so much the ball players, all they have to do is have the vision to hit the player on the chest with the pass. So all in all if the runners hit the holes, then Inglis just needs to get them the ball, if there are no holes he just needs to drop a fend and run. Simple really, many people tend to over complicate the 5/8 position when it isnt really that difficult.

PEACE
    So what your saying is that he just needs to do a good pass to his outside runner to be a good five-eighth?

Halves need vision halves are on the team to detrect them around the field, find the weak point in the other teams defence and spot the holes. Its much more complicated than just passing or running.

I have watched Inglis lots of times and IMO he just dominates so much at fullback and plays better than what he would in other positions.
    But, how do you know?
    You havn't seen him play 5/8.
    [