Thread: Global Warming?

Lightbulb Global Warming?

After hearing Tim Flannery being named Aussie of the Year, I thought it would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts about global warming. I know there are alot of theories to argue on either side of the fence, so let's hear it.

Here's what I think:
    I don't think there is anything we can do about Global warming, it has been occurring for millions of years long before Humans even existed. Heres my theory:
    If you put a block of ice(earth) next to a heat source(sun), the block of ice would absorb the heat and eventualy melt. The smaller the ice gets, the quicker it melts - right? Does anyone follow me?
    The earth is believed to be once covered with ice, then theres the ice age theories and so on. With the Earth being on a tilted axis, the polar caps are exposed to less sunlight and heat than the equator, which explains the temperatures slowly increasing from the equator towards the ice caps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that pollution isn't trapping in heat from the sun and therefore effecting day to day temperatures. But I think it is insignificant to the bigger picture............

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Ryan; 25-01-07 at 10:36 PM.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Junior Titan

ryan we are kidding our selves if we beleive its not happening look at the bazar weather paterns

though the earth has been through ice ages maybe we are coming into a dry age
    i'm a giant charging waves while the seagulls fly by

I'm not too worried about the whole thing TBH, My sose teacher will be most disappointed in me saying that after about 7 weeks of her trying to convince me Global Warming was an Issue! :lol!:

I know all the facts and scientists reckon it's such a big deal, but i dunno about anywhere else, but in Toowoomba it has been (up until the past week), it has been freezing cold in the middle of December FFS!

IMO money would be better off spent on something that we can control/put an end to, like Poverty, giving money to the poorer countries would be more beneficial than something we aren't even sure is a problem that we cause!

eace:

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by bondititan
    ryan we are kidding our selves if we beleive its not happening look at the bazar weather paterns

though the earth has been through ice ages maybe we are coming into a dry age
    In the whole scheme of things I don't humans have been around long enough to know what would be 'bazar weather paterns'. For the scale of time that the earth has been changing, humans existance barely represents a spec.
    It's obvious the Earth is getting warmer. I was thinking more to point that alot of people think pollution is the cause and that driving 4-cyl cars and setting the air-con to 25'c is going to slow it down enough to make a difference. Myself - I'm not convinced.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Junior Titan

ryan your right its too lae to change any thing all thats left now is to reduce the impact. we have been round for 2000 years plus i know they did not have the equipment we have i'm guessing they didn't worry bout it either

these days everyone is looking for something wrong
    lets look at the positives last century we got rid of small pox and other desease created the internet the biggest communication network ever discovered electricty put a man in space
    i'm a giant charging waves while the seagulls fly by

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

tbh i'm inclined to believe the word of scientists than unresearched laymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    tbh i'm inclined to believe the word of scientists than unresearched laymen.
    Which scientist's though? Not all scientist's agree with each other.
    What do you mean by 'laymen'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Which scientist's though? Not all scientist's agree with each other.
    What do you mean by 'laymen'?
    Pretty sure he means us no-nothing's.

Anyhow, apparently the temp. of the earth is increasing like 3C every hundred years. By the time its unbearable to humans, I'm not gonna be alive and no one I know or care about will be alive. It may sound selfish but its true. You won't know about it, I won't know about it, but the sun will burn out and humans will die. Tough sh!t, thats life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Look my mate does work in this sort and he knows global warming is pretty much unstoppable now.
    We as humans have majorly contributed to the earths destruction with our fossil fuels.