Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NRL: Broncos say they can do repeat

Broncos say they can do repeat
    By James Phelps

January 25, 2007 12:00

AFTER a record-breaking season 2006, Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer has declared the Broncos are capable of breaking a 14-year hoodoo by winning consecutive premierships.

With no side winning consecutive titles in a unified competition since the Broncos in 1992 and 1993, the Australian captain yesterday said Brisbane could achieve the feat in 2007.

The Broncos also won consecutive titles in 1997 and 1998 but the first of the premierships was in the breakaway Super League competition.

In a remarkable season 2006, Lockyer led the Broncos, Queensland and Australia to victory, while being voted the world's best player.

Speaking at a film shoot for Bundaberg Monday night Football yesterday, Lockyer told The Daily Telegraph the Broncos had been slogging it out in preparation for another premiership assault.

"We are working harder than this time last year," he said.

"We are aware of what has happened in the past with the premiers failing the next year.

"We have to make sure we have a good attitude and keep it throughout the entire season.

"I think injuries will be the key to success this year. We have to hope we don't get too many but you can't do too much about them."

The 29-year-old golden boot winner said the Broncos were adjusting to life without Shane Webcke after the inspirational prop retired after last year's grand final in a fairytale finale.

Lockyer said his role would not change in Webcke's absence with other senior members of the team ready to step up.

"I won't be changing anything," he said.

"Petero Civoniceva and Brad Thorn will step up and take over Shane's duties. Petero is one of the guys that doesn't say a lot but when he does it carries a long way. He had an outstanding season last year and he is one of the senior blokes in the team that gives everyone else confidence.

"I have only been back two weeks but if anything the competition for spots is greater than it has ever been. Everyone one is competing for Webcke's spot and it is a good thing. Everyone has a really good attitude."

Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh and Manly back Jamie Lyon joined Lockyer on set at the Monday night football commercial shoot yesterday to promote the return of Monday night football in 48 days with Sydney Roosters taking on Souths.

Lockyer is hoping the concept will be a success but said clubs would struggle to attract crowds to the Monday extravaganza.

The Daily Telegraph

thats what the bulldogs said, thats what the tigers said...

everyone says it, i just doubt its physically possible these days.

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by TDoGGBulldog
    thats what the bulldogs said, thats what the tigers said...

everyone says it, i just doubt its physically possible these days.
    The Tigers and Doggies don't have Wayne as a coach, or Locky as a captain.
    The Broncos has the the team and the staff to be able to achive the feat of going back-to back.
    [

With the movement of so many player from club to club from year to year it is tough on any club to build up a dynasty like the one St. George did in the 50's and 60's by winning 11 premierships in a row, even consecutive premierships are beyond clubs now, if Brisbane can do it then good luck to them, but i seriously doubt that they can do it, i hope it my Manly that will shine through this year.cya. :hi:

Well they're hardly likely to come out and say otherwise now arent they?

Front of the Courier Mail sports section:
    BUCKING BRONCOS SAY THEY GOTS BUCKLEYS IN '07!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    The Broncos has the the team and the staff to be able to achive the feat of going back-to back.
    I agree with this. Well said FS.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Bloody Classic, CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    I rate neither of them tbh.

Junior Titan

most premierships as a coach

only player to win soo tri nations club premiership and golden boot in one year plus maybe a club championship

so i take it u rate nobody then

maybe urself thats it good call mate
    CHURCH OF LOCKYER AND THE LATER DAY BRONCOS

LOCKYER IS GOD - THEREFORE SUNCORP IS MY CHURCH

Lockyer Psalm 1.1

"Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. "

Titan Club Captain

I agree with Tahl.

If I wanted Bennett and Lockyer for a coach and captain I would support Brisbane.

I'm happy with Folksey and Bobcat. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    I agree with Tahl.

If I wanted Bennett and Lockyer for a coach and captain I would support Brisbane.

I'm happy with Folksey and Bobcat. <3
    Im not saying that, im just saying they have the staff that, no offense, other teams don't.

I don't care that they won the premiership last year, its a new year, and a new season, theres no such thing as a 'Premiship Curse' or some crap, becuase, they are not defending the crown, they are attacking it all over again!
    [

Titan Club Captain

If they are the NRL Premiers they are clearly defending their crown lol.

You can say they are going to win it back or whatever, but when it comes down to it they are defending their trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    If they are the NRL Premiers they are clearly defending their crown lol.

You can say they are going to win it back or whatever, but when it comes down to it they are defending their trophy.
    The best form of defence..is attack.

Junior Titan

I think there a very good chance at going back 2 back

Quote Originally Posted by TDoGGBulldog
    I rate neither of them tbh.
    How can't you? Wayne Bennett is the most successful coach and Darren Lockyer has lead each team he's played for to success.

Folkes has wet dreams about being as successful as Bennett, and having a player like Lockyer.

Seriously, you might not be a fan of the Locky or Bennett or the Broncos, but credit where its due ffs.

If you don't rate Darren Lockyer, who do you rate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo