Default Titans Seek Support In NSW

Gold COast Titans seek support in NSW

HERALD

January 24, 2007 - 7:54PM

Gold Coast will be trying to gather support from over the border rather than their heartland when they travel to northern NSW next month as part of the NRL's community carnivals.

The new NRL franchise will visit Grafton, Woolgoolga, Maclean and Yamba in northern NSW from February 7-9 as their contribution to spreading the rugby league gospel.

The 16 NRL clubs will cover 27,000 kilometres by air, almost 7,000 by car and visit 60 different locations.

Asked why the Titans were visiting NSW rather than trying to win support in their own state, NRL chief executive David Gallop said: "I think northern NSW is an extra opportunity for the Titans.

"Obviously the interest in south-east Queensland is going to be there.

"But with the transport links and the massive populations that are down in those areas now, the Titans would be mad not to be looking to get some extra support and encourage people to become Titans fans.

"They would travel up to the Gold Coast relatively easily to see them play."

Perth and Adelaide are on the community carnivals schedule despite the fact each city lost its franchise several years ago.

"I think while our heartland is critical, we are always looking to give some reward to those communities that are sometimes a bit remote from the game," Gallop said.

"Perth and Adelaide have still got big groups of fans who love rugby league, it's part of interacting with them."

Gallop said there was a possibility Perth and Adelaide could host NRL games in future if the financial numbers stacked up.

For the first time in the five years of the carnivals, New Zealand will be included, while referees will also participate in the project for the first time.

While rugby league remained the pre-eminent football code in country NSW and Queensland, Gallop said the market was very competitive and his sport couldn't afford to relax.

"Community carnivals give us the chance to put fans in contact with the stars, particularly fans who don't otherwise get to have that personal contact, it inspires kids to be players and fans of the game," Gallop said.
    Last edited by jenny; 24-01-07 at 07:14 PM.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

The Legion will look after NSW Mr Gallop, rest assured

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    The Legion will look after NSW Mr Gallop, rest assured
    Good to hear they are targeting northern NSW... that is an untapped gold mine of RL supporters in there... I mean the Tweed, Ballina, Grafton, even as far south as Tamworth and Coffs... they all need a team and if the Titans can be that team... and can offer support like they already have... they that would be a massive windfall for the club and for the towns..

Good luck to all involved with this, as it's a fantastic idea..

There are allot of bulldogs supporters in the areas you mentioned bulldog_titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Good to hear they are targeting northern NSW... that is an untapped gold mine of RL supporters in there...
    Not to mention the playing talent. Our future captain Shannon Walker from Kyogle is just the tip of the iceberg. Now with a clear pathway set for the juniors in a few years we will be overflowing with talent.

I went to the session at Cudgen today,decent turnout of kids sporting Titans gear,but have to say it didnt seem well publicised in the local area.The whole northern rivers area is potential for the Titans to tap into player and supporter wise.I took some pics,but unsure how to post them on here,nothing special just might be some interested fans like a look.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

Anyone interested in the formation of The NSW Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    Anyone interested in the formation of The NSW Legion?
    It will be taken care of with the Legion supporter's group.

More info to be released constantly over the next 2-4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDoGGBulldog
    There are allot of bulldogs supporters in the areas you mentioned bulldog_titan
    Tahl, I ain't that dumb LOL... I know that... I am a Bulldogs Supporter and have a few mates up there... I know we have quite a following around the Tweed-Tamworth area...

HOWEVER there are also quite a few fans up there who are looking for their own team, one which is closer and especially up near Ballina, one which they can get to games to... so this is the chance for the Titans to become that team...

Good luck to the Titans, I mean the Bulldogs can continue to get support, but for me, that's Titan territory now...

A lot of Bulldogs fans? Not in my experience. The Tweed, at least, always seemed to me to full to the brim with St.George supporters (this is before I was forced to become one myself by virtue of the so-called "joint venture"). There was always support for other teams, but the Red V always seemed to me to be dominant in the area (I grew up on the Tweed).

Incidentally, even though I live in Brisbane and will no coubt have to be part of the Queensland legion, I am always at heart a New South Welshman, and will consider myself a NSW Titan.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Dragon
    A lot of Bulldogs fans? Not in my experience. The Tweed, at least, always seemed to me to full to the brim with St.George supporters (this is before I was forced to become one myself by virtue of the so-called "joint venture"). There was always support for other teams, but the Red V always seemed to me to be dominant in the area (I grew up on the Tweed).

Incidentally, even though I live in Brisbane and will no coubt have to be part of the Queensland legion, I am always at heart a New South Welshman, and will consider myself a NSW Titan.

Jason
    Yeah,did you ever see the barbers shop in Tweed City shopping centre,hes got St George pics all over the walls etc!

Despite having been to that shopping centre a hundred times, no, I never noticed. But I did notice the barber shop in the Roma Street Transit Centre in Brisbane who has a heap of NSW Blues stuff on the walls. I've congratulated him numerous times.

Incidentally, there is now a footy shop in Tweed City. Sells almost every imaginable bit of football merchandise. Primarily NRL, but there is also some AFL, Super 14, and A-League stuff.

Jason
    Go the Steelers, Dragons, Titans, West Coast Eagles, Swannies, Sydney FC, Man United, Wollongong Hawks, Blues (league and cricket) , Waratahs, Sydney Flames, Sydney Swifts, HRT, MacLaren, and whoever's playing the All Blacks or England!

R.I.P. Brocky

Those who attended the Coffs Harbour trial left with out doubt the Titans will be their team in 2007 and beyond! The support for the boys was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Dragon
    Despite having been to that shopping centre a hundred times, no, I never noticed. But I did notice the barber shop in the Roma Street Transit Centre in Brisbane who has a heap of NSW Blues stuff on the walls. I've congratulated him numerous times.

Incidentally, there is now a footy shop in Tweed City. Sells almost every imaginable bit of football merchandise. Primarily NRL, but there is also some AFL, Super 14, and A-League stuff.

Jason
    The barbers has temporarily gone while the centre is undergoing redevelopments,but been in the Footy shop a few times,nice fella who runs it(an Eels fan),displays a fair bit of Titans gear,which he told me is literally walking out of the shop!!(could be shoplifters i suppose )