Wink Pride On Rise For Australia Day

:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:
    Pride on rise for Australia Day

By Christine Flatley

January 24, 2007 05:50pm
    Article from: AAP

IT'S the day Australians come together to raise the flag, sizzle sausages and race national pests.

From the pomp of citizenship and Australian of the Year ceremonies to the laid-back backyard cricket games and thong throwing competitions, this year's Australia Day celebrations have something for everyone.

National Australia Day Council figures show 66 per cent of Australians this year plan to celebrate on Friday, with 21 per cent heading to one or more of the thousands of organised events around the country.

Director of the National Australia Day Council Warren Pearson said national pride is on the rise, and the day is all about celebrating who we are, where we've come from and where we're heading.

?Australia Day is growing in importance and we've seen a real groundswell in participation since about 2000, but not only in people going to the sausage sizzles and the huge fireworks displays, but also people reflecting on the meaning of Australia Day,? Mr Pearson said.

?It's about what it is that we celebrate and what it is that we recommit to to make sure that we continue to be a great nation.?

No Australia Day is complete without the smell of sizzling steaks and Sydney is holding the mother of all barbecues all day in Hyde Park, while in Cairns you can sample crocodile, kangaroo and camel straight off the hotplate.

Sydney music lovers should head to Parramatta for an outdoor concert with the likes of Deni Hines, Endorphin and Killing Heidi.

In the Sunshine State, Brisbane will this year host Queensland's first ever Australia Day Festival South Bank.

The Beautiful Girls and local lad Andrew Morris will provide the entertainment after the fireworks display.

Festivities in Perth begin with a formal lunch for 250 people at government house and end with the resounding bang of fireworks over the Swan River for an estimated 400,000 people.

Mr Pearson said the crowds were expected to turn out in their best patriotic colours, and that nobody should feel ashamed to wear the flag with pride.

?Australia Day is about including people, not excluding people,? he said.

?When people come to the organised events they come dressed for the occasion, whether it's the flag, green and gold, or their Wallabies jersey ... people are doing it naturally (and) young people turning up dripping in the flag is great to see.?

Kitsch games are also a tradition on Australia Day, and Brisbane's Story Bridge Hotel's famous ****roach races are a favourite, while further north in Cairns Australia's most hated pest ? the cane toad ? will be pitted against one other.

Aussie World on the Sunshine Coast will host dunny races, keg lifting, cooee calling and mullet tossing ? the fish, not the hairstyle ? to name just a few.

In Cairns, you can stuff your face at the meat pie eating competition or try your hand at thong throwing.

NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland will also battle it out to create the longest line of ?inflatable thongs? (floating air mattresses in the shape of the footwear) to break the world record set at Coogee Beach last year.

Mr Pearson said such ?silly? events were part of our national identity and should be embraced.

?Australians are a quirky bunch and I think that our sense of humour comes out in what we do,? he said.

?We don't take ourselves seriously but we do take what we do seriously.?

To check what's on in your city or town visit the www.australiaday.gov.au website.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Brilliant! I hope everyone gets off their **** and shows some pride in our great nation this Friday! Whether it be cooking a lamb chop ala Sam Kekovich, racing a toad, drinking a case to yourself or all of the above!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Brilliant! I hope everyone gets off their **** and shows some pride in our great nation this Friday! Whether it be cooking a lamb chop ala Sam Kekovich, racing a toad, drinking a case to yourself or all of the above!
    :lol!:
    I'll be doing my bit the day before :naughty:

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Wonder if they'll ban the flag in Sydney If they wanted to do it at BDO, surely this would be a bigger event to 'ban' it at? Bloody disgraceful. Everyone wave your flags and be proud!!

Titan First Grade Regular

I have travelled oversees many times and i can honestly say Australia is one of the few countries in which openly denounces national pride as white supremist racism, we the Anglo-Saxon Majority are slaves to the politically correctness Nazis, i bet those who slam anyone for showing pride in our nation haven't got the ball and the spine to put their lives on the line in the defense of this country, like the 200,000 Aussies that have died in all wars and the many hundreds of thousands that were wounded as well, so in ending if they don't like it they are free to leave.cya.

Talking Fans ignore BDO flag appeal in Sydney

Geez. Couldn't see this one coming

Thursday Jan 25 11:57 AEDT

Music fans at the Big Day Out concert in Sydney appear to be ignoring pleas by organisers to leave Australian flags at home.

Big Day Out promoter Ken West caused a storm earlier this week when he asked fans not to take flags to today's concert at Sydney Showground.

Mr West said he wanted to avoid a repeat of last year's concert, when he said some fans used the flag as "gang colours" or for racist taunting in the wake of the Cronulla riots.

However, political leaders rejected his appeal, and many fans on their way to the event appeared to be ignoring his request as well.

Many were draped in flags, or wore T-shirts with flags on them.

Up to 55,000 people were expected to attend the Big Day Out, which stretches over 12 hours.

?AAP 2007

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=178654

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCliffy#01
    I have travelled oversees many times and i can honestly say Australia is one of the few countries in which openly denounces national pride as white supremist racism, we the Anglo-Saxon Majority are slaves to the politically correctness Nazis, i bet those who slam anyone for showing pride in our nation haven't got the ball and the spine to put their lives on the line in the defense of this country, like the 200,000 Aussies that have died in all wars and the many hundreds of thousands that were wounded as well, so in ending if they don't like it they are free to leave.cya.
    Excellent post Cliffy. My thoughts exactly. Why should I be made to feel like a friggin klansman just because I love my country and love to show it at every opportunity? Well if patriotism is Aussie for racist, I'm guilty, just ask all my Asian, Muslim, wog etc. mates who have a equal pride for the country they live in. We could all be tried together, now wouldn't that be nice and multi-cultural.

Titan First Grade Regular

I went to melbourne for a Judo thing, and there were these German guys staying at the same hotel as us, and i became mates with them, and now they love australia, they can't speak alot of English, but i remember them yelling out the hotel window 'AUSTRALIA RULES!' it was awesome.

I love Australia
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star
    I went to melbourne for a Judo thing, and there were these German guys staying at the same hotel as us, and i became mates with them, and now they love australia, they can't speak alot of English, but i remember them yelling out the hotel window 'AUSTRALIA RULES!' it was awesome.

I love Australia

Now THAT'S what we need to see!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Future Star

I love Australia
    Uh oh. Germans yelling things to the public in the streets. Thats how it all starts.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

:dizzy: :ok:

Great to see so much national pride...

We should be proud to be Australian, to be able to live in a country that is not affected by war, where we can go out and play in the backyard and can enjoy sports with mates, where we have proud traditions in both sporting and knowledge bases and where we are always striving to do our best, whilst having a carefree attitude and acting as if we are doing nothing at all...

I am so glad I live in a country such as Australia, and I hope those who become citizens tomorrow realise how lucky they are to be a part of this great land, and why we as it's occupants should never take advantage of it and respect it always....