Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Comedian Has Case Dismissed For Stunt AT Bulldogs Match

Judge dismisses Chaser Bulldogs case

January 23, 2007 10:46am
    Article from: AAP

A SYDNEY magistrate has dismissed a case against comedian Chas Licciardello who was charged with offensive behaviour for a stunt at a Bulldogs rugby league match.

Licciardello, from ABC TV's satirical program The Chaser's War on Everything, had pleaded not guilty to the charge, with his barrister Stephen Russell telling the court yesterday "A lot of conduct might be very stupid, but it's not offensive."

Magistrate Joanne Keogh dismissed the case this morning, saying the prosecution case was not made out.

"The overwhelming majority recognised it for what it was - a joke," she told the court.

"They took it with good grace and humour. The fact that for some people the joke wasn't to their liking doesn't prove that it was offensive."

Mr Russell sought costs, arguing police had charged Licciardello as "a knee-jerk reaction" to aggression from some members of the crowd.

Mr Russell also told the court that police had apparently not reviewed footage of the incident - the main evidence in the case - before deciding to proceed with the prosecution.

However, Ms Keogh said there was no suggestion that police had failed to properly investigate the case.

It was reasonable for them in the circumstances to arrest and charge Licciardello, she said.

"It definitely wasn't a case in which there was never any prospect of a conviction," Ms Keogh said, dismissing the costs application.

Yesterday, Sutherland Local Court was played footage of the sketch, in which Licciardello touted fake knuckledusters, a rubber knife, imitation flares and balaclavas ? all in team colours ? as "official Bulldogs merchandise".

Decked out in a blue and white Bulldogs jersey and beanie, he tried to sell the items to fans filing into Kogarah's OKI Jubilee Stadium for the Bulldogs' National Rugby League clash with St George-Illawarra last July 14.

The segment aimed to send up recent violence at Bulldogs matches, which had led to a sevenfold boost in police numbers at the match.

But police prosecutor Sergeant Michael Sinadinovic told the court that, as shown on the tape, some fans were outraged and disgusted by Licciardello's conduct.
    Last edited by jenny; 23-01-07 at 12:20 PM.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

I was actually a little offended by it. Overall I saw it as a joke, but in doing so he kind of stereo-typed all Bulldogs fans. Violence is not something I stand for and never will. A stunt like this shell-shocked the Bulldogs club and really got to all our true fans. It's ok to let him off this time, however if he does it again, I think he should do some time. I remember in 2006 he also (as part of his tv show) walked into various stores in Sydney with a womens stocking over his head just to see what the reactions of the shops employees would be. Naturally most of them screamed and ran for cover etc... that's just plain stupid. In my opinion that stocking over the head joke was almost a criminal offence because he delibrately scared the living daylights out of everyone!

Anyone who takes the Chasers seriously obviously needs to learn a thing or two about the show! It may have been wrong, but it was all in good spirits. It's good to see even Judges will see the light side of things as well.

The Chasers do a Sh** load of stupid things, nothing should be taken to heart from the show!!!

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    Anyone who takes the Chasers seriously obviously needs to learn a thing or two about the show! It may have been wrong, but it was all in good spirits. It's good to see even Judges will see the light side of things as well.
    I see the funny and non harmful side of the Bulldogs prank, but the stocking over the head in a shop is going a bit far. I'm surprised they didn't find themselves in a court room for that one TBH.

The Chasers do a Sh** load of stupid things, nothing should be taken to heart from the show!!!
    Just because you do something often doesn't justify it if its wrong lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan Club Captain

Uhhm I agree with Sonny Skill when he said that it sterotypes all Bulldogs fans.

But tbh I don't really care that much about this whole umm thing?..cos I don't even know what this bloody show is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny-Skill
    I was actually a little offended by it. Overall I saw it as a joke, but in doing so he kind of stereo-typed all Bulldogs fans.
    That was the point.

I don't see anything wrong with it TBH. Sure, it's not exactly 'safe' humour, but it is funny, and thats it's only intention.

And I don't see anything wrong with the stocking thing either, so what if he wears some form of clothing on his head!

Titans First Grader

I thought it was great humour, most of the fans seemed to agree. I dont think it was chas who did the stocking head prank but surely in the same way its a stereotype of all would-be robbers. It was hilarious too.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

sanity prevails...

and lol at his after court comments.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

I reckon he trojan horse episode was the best and far more dangerous from a security sense of view. so this "joke" is nothing compared to what they have and will do.

Titan One Clubman

Chaser is the best show on television. I agree this was nothing compared to their other antics. They take the piss out of everything, the bulldogs just happened to be news that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy2007Dragons
    I reckon he trojan horse episode was the best and far more dangerous from a security sense of view. so this "joke" is nothing compared to what they have and will do.
    haha that episode was hilarious, actually, they're all hilarious! But you're right, They have/Will done/do much worse things on that show! Can't get enough of the chasers!

anyone know when a new season's starting back up? I've missed it so much!

GO THE MAROONS!

Junior Titan

Chas always livng up to the standards he has shown:

"Look, there's Matthew Newton," he called to media to distract them as he left.

Taking the chance to lampoon another current controversy, Licciardello emerged from court draped in the Australian flag and said he was off to the Big Day Out.

He vowed to appeal the decision all the way to the Jedi Council.

"I'd just like to say how deeply disappointed we are with the court's decision," he told reporters.

"We will not rest until this injustice has been corrected.

"We will be appealing the decision to the Supreme Court, to the High Court, to the UN, to the Jedi Council and to the snickometer."

Told he'd in fact had a victory in court, Licciardello said: "I'm sorry, I didn't actually prepare any material for the off-chance that we won."

Questioned at the time about Licciardello's behaviour, Premier Morris Iemma condemned the prank as "grossly irresponsible" and "well beyond just having a joke".

On Tuesday, Mr Iemma accepted the magistrate's decision, saying: "It's a decision of the courts; the proper process has worked its way through."

The Morris Iemma bit is for the people who follow the best show ever

Morris- Lighten up!
    Last edited by nflin3; 23-01-07 at 10:57 PM.

Junior Titan

haha that episode was hilarious, actually, they're all hilarious! But you're right, They have/Will done/do much worse things on that show! Can't get enough of the chasers!

anyone know when a new season's starting back up? I've missed it so much!

New seaon starts around march. Should go check out the chaser forums once in a while

http://www.chaser.com.au/index.php?o...smf&Itemid=203

Titan One Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by nflin3
    Chas always livng up to the standards he has shown:

"Look, there's Matthew Newton," he called to media to distract them as he left.

Taking the chance to lampoon another current controversy, Licciardello emerged from court draped in the Australian flag and said he was off to the Big Day Out.

He vowed to appeal the decision all the way to the Jedi Council.

"I'd just like to say how deeply disappointed we are with the court's decision," he told reporters.

"We will not rest until this injustice has been corrected.

"We will be appealing the decision to the Supreme Court, to the High Court, to the UN, to the Jedi Council and to the snickometer."

Told he'd in fact had a victory in court, Licciardello said: "I'm sorry, I didn't actually prepare any material for the off-chance that we won."

Questioned at the time about Licciardello's behaviour, Premier Morris Iemma condemned the prank as "grossly irresponsible" and "well beyond just having a joke".

On Tuesday, Mr Iemma accepted the magistrate's decision, saying: "It's a decision of the courts; the proper process has worked its way through."

The Morris Iemma bit is for the people who follow the best show ever

Morris- Lighten up!
    The bloke is a legend