Lightbulb Late Night Legends Thread

Upcoming classic rugby league matches on ABC2.

February 12 - Grand Final, 1968 Souths vs Manly
    February 13 - Grand Final, 1972 Manly vs Easts
    February 14 - Grand Final, 1973 Manly vs Cronulla
    February 15 - Grand Final, 1974 Canterbury vs Easts

Enjoy these rugby league fans!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

what time will the bulldogs one be?

I hope I get a TV from my valentine cause I'll probably put a stubbie through mine watching this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Upcoming classic rugby league matches on ABC2.

February 12 - Grand Final, 1968 Souths vs Manly
    February 13 - Grand Final, 1972 Manly vs Easts
    February 15 - Grand Final, 1974 Canterbury vs Easts

Enjoy these rugby league fans!
    Three Manly GF's!!!!

Late Night Legends is pretty much the closest thing Australia gets to an "ESPN Classics" type channel. It is great viewing for any sporting fan.

A full list of what is on is available here:

http://abc.net.au/sport/legends/

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Late Night Legends is pretty much the closest thing Australia gets to an "ESPN Classics" type channel. It is great viewing for any sporting fan.

A full list of what is on is available here:

http://abc.net.au/sport/legends/
    yea it is a good show, I watch it a fair bit, it's very interesting to see how much sports have changed and developed over the years!

GO THE MAROONS!

Titan First Grade Regular

They should of had the '89 Grand-final, saw it on foxtel, best ever!
    [

QLD Cup Titan

It's great to watch these old games- I saw a '67 test at Lang Park , thursday week ago....What a side Langlands, Gasner, Fulton etc V NZ... Black & White but hey!

For all the Rev Heads- Legends shows old Touring Car races. Watched Moffat in GTHO phrase III race XUIs', chargers etc Sunday Night!

This is a brillant station...pity the ABC destroyed the old Brisbane GF's...But still the Sydney ones are OK for 2nd best!

Hopefully we'll see more of those old/tough rough test matches...Gee the refs would have heart attacks if some of the old rough house/high tackles I saw in that 67 Test happened now....Definitely worth watching

Late Night Legends

Australia Vs England: Rugby League 1966

11:30pm Saturday, 10 Mar 2007

The Rugby League World Cup had gained momentum, with Great Britain winning the inaugural competition in 1954, followed by an Australian victory in 1957, before the Lions won again in 1960. We head to 1968 for the next tournament.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

i always forget about this show and im yet to watch a game. damn it! :noidea:

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Late Night Legends

Australia Vs England: Rugby League 1966

11:30pm Saturday, 10 Mar 2007

The Rugby League World Cup had gained momentum, with Great Britain winning the inaugural competition in 1954, followed by an Australian victory in 1957, before the Lions won again in 1960. We head to 1968 for the next tournament.
    Thanks for telling us Diehard ( and to the rest of you out there- no he's not my love child!) I'm really looking forward to watching this game.

But by god this Diehard must have an IQ of 160 or more!

I love watching the old League games on LNL. I have mentioned before how much I miss the 'old days'. The days when scrums actually meant something! Hell, games used to be won or lost on scrums. The days of real forwards, super-tough guys like Ray Higgs, Bob 'The Bear' O'Reilly, Bill 'Herman' Hamilton, and the late, great John 'Dallas' Donnelly. These guys could last an 80 minute game without the need of an interchange. Ray Higgs played most of the 1976 Grand Final with a broken jaw. Can you imagine telling a guy like that he needs to come off the field?
    And yes, I know it's a different game today. I know it's faster. I know all that, and I understand the benefits of interchange. But that doesn't stop me missing the old days. I have been following League since 1971 or so, and in that time I have been lucky enough to see some of the true greats of the game playing. I can remember being at the SCG for the 73 Semi-Final between St George and Newtown. I was at the first ever drawn Grand Final (Parramatta - St George 1977). I can remember like it was yesterday that great Steve Gearin try for the Bulldogs against Easts at the 1980 Grand Final. I was seated front row against the fence in front of the old SCG Hill (something else I miss from the old days), and I was at the wrong end of the ground to see the actual try. All I saw from my vantage point was Greg Brentnall put up the bomb, Gearin following through, and the next thing I saw was the other side of the SCG literally exploding in blue and white, and I knew he'd scored! I can remember the weekly Saturday afternoon Match-Of-The-Round at the old Sydney Sports Ground (these days it's Aussie Stadium or something. I lose track of sponsorship name changes). The old Sports Ground had one very unique feature. It ran East-West instead of North-South like every other major ground in Sydney, so one team had to run into the sun for the 2nd half of the game, and so of course the other team with the sun at their backs would usually put up bomb after bomb after bomb (or, as we used to call them back then, Up-and-Under).

Anyway, that's my rant. I better stop now, because I really can go all night on this subject! Much as I love the game today, I still say it was better back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Diehard
    Thanks for telling us Diehard ( and to the rest of you out there- no he's not my love child!) I'm really looking forward to watching this game.

But by god this Diehard must have an IQ of 160 or more!
    Well I'd have to be pretty smart, I am a Valleys fan.

And yes the rumours aren't true...Old Diehard isn't my long lost father.

Wish they'd show old BRL game, too bad that isn't possible....