Default Titans: Conn to power up the Coast

Conn to power up Titans
    By Damien Stannard
    January 20, 2007 11:00pm

WHEN you're trying to build a hard-hitting forward pack it pays to go straight to the Bulldogs.

That's where Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright found second-rower Daniel Conn.

One of the bright young unknowns in the Titans' 25-man squad, Conn has brought to the Gold Coast the type of mongrel for which Canterbury is famous.

"Most Bulldogs players bring a very good work ethic with them," said Cartwright, who sees a lot of former Canterbury hardman David Gillespie in the 20-year-old.

"When you're looking to buy a player, you look closely at the Bulldogs. They probably have the best back row in the league and he was on the verge of forcing his way in."

Conn made his first-grade debut at 19 in Round 11, 1995, and played two more NRL games in a Bulldogs pack dominated by Test and State of Origin forwards.

The teenager was battling for recognition behind Willie Mason, Sonny Bill Williams, Andrew Ryan, Nate Myles and Tony Grimaldi before catching Cartwright's eye in a trial against the Warriors on the Gold Coast last February.

It was against that similarly powerful pack he showed the Titans coach he deserved an opportunity.

"I just like the way he played that night against a very tough pack," Cartwright said of the Dubbo junior.

"He went very hard and was very aggressive. And since then he has been even more impressive in training."

Conn credits his former club with instilling in him the discipline and aggression needed to succeed in the NRL.

It was at Belmore that he first encountered the methods of legendary Titans strength and conditioning guru Billy Johnstone.

Johnstone left the Bulldogs for North Queensland before joining the Gold Coast after last season.

"Billy set those standards at the Bulldogs and this pre-season (under Johnstone) is the toughest I've done," Conn said.

"It's similar here to what it was at the Bulldogs but it's another step up."

Conn said the arrival of dual international Mat Rogers and the settlement of the Steve Turner dispute had heightened the players' anticipation of the club's looming trials.

"The intensity has definitely picked up. Everything we do is becoming more game-related and less being smashed by Billy."

Conn is the youngest contender in the scramble for Titans back-row spots.

Brad Myers, Gavin Cooper, Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello have longer resumes but it will be trial form against Melbourne (February 17), Parramatta (February 24) and Penrith (March 2) that will decide who gets first crack.

"Because we didn't exist last year we don't have any legacy. We don't owe anyone any favours," Cartwright said.

"Everyone's desperate to get into the team and how hungry they are will probably determine how we go this season."

Conn is aware of the competition for places and insists all players have been treated equally.

"It all comes down to attitude and everyone in my position has a great attitude," he said.

The wide-running forward will be limited to cross training for at least another week while recovering from ankle surgery in early December.

But he loves his new surroundings at Burleigh Heads where he has bought a beachside unit and taken up surfing.

He has been joined briefly by his mum Diane who has helped him settle in.

"I'm loving the coast, it's the best place ever," he said.

The Sunday Mail

Titan Club Captain

I didn't want him to leave!!

I hope he goes good at the Titans.

Conn made his first-grade debut at 19 in Round 11, 1995, and played two more NRL games in a Bulldogs pack dominated by Test and State of Origin forwards.
    Man he looks good for a 30 year old.... ... nice typo there...

Seriously though, he is an awesome asset for the club and someone I am sad to have seen left Belmore.... as he had a bright future at the Bulldogs but I am sure he will have an even brighter one at the Titans...

He has learnt a lot from the likes of Willie, Shrek and Bobcat and has grown from being a tough nugget to being a highly skilled, strong running, enforcer... the kind that Canterbury are famous for.

He will get his chance, and when he does, expect him not to disappoint... he has a true future as a star player, with the skill and ethic of a David Gillespie, and the power of a Peter Tunks... he is complete package player, and a fantastic back up for the GC.

He will also get fans through the gate and create groupies... of the female variety... something he did very successful for the Bulldogs, not to mention that Cleo centerfold... but that is for another day...

I wish Dan the man all the best at the GC, because he is a fantastic player who deserves to do well...

Titan Club Captain

I guess it'll make me just a little bit interested in the titans