Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I'm not much of a soccer fan but good to see some healthy crowds for the A League. If the Roar weren't so ORANGE I might even buy a jersey.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I'm not much of a soccer fan but good to see some healthy crowds for the A League. If the Roar weren't so ORANGE I might even buy a jersey.
    haha. you could blind people with one of those things.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    haha. you could blind people with one of those things.
    Or get some work in traffic control.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Junior Titan

Go Queensland
    "Go the Titans"

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Yeah, i reckon those things rock, stand out and be proud (thats the impression i get when ppl wear them)

Might buy one if i get some money

the whole story behind the orange jersey is because before they were called the roar then the lions they were called the Hollands team hence the orange jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by HodgoBerro
    the whole story behind the orange jersey is because before they were called the roar then the lions they were called the Hollands team hence the orange jersey.
    Yea I know that, but it still looks crap. Maybe they should have kept it to orange highlights or something...

i know a lot of people who hate the maroon socks - each to their own

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

i love them, looking at getting one and going to a game around the 22nd of september

Yea I know that, but it still looks crap. Maybe they should have kept it to orange highlights or something...
    something interesting from their wikipedia entry:

On 31 July 2005 the club announced that it had ordered a strip that was half orange and half maroon, but that the current colours were manufactured for prominence on television.

SYDNEY FC have vowed to replace departing star Dwight Yorke with another marquee player. Yorke, 34, will return to England after accepting an offer from Championship strugglers Sunderland, where his former Manchester United teammate Roy Keane has taken over as manager.

It is believed Keane has promised the Trinidad & Tobago skipper more than a $600,000 pay rise and after two days of uncertainty, Yorke has decided to accept the offer.

The two clubs came to an agreement late last night after a day of negotiations. Because Yorke had a year left on his contract, Sydney are entitled to a transfer fee, believed to be $500,000.

Yorke did not travel with his teammates to Melbourne yesterday, where Sydney FC began preparations for tomorrow's match against Melbourne Victory at Telstra Dome.

With Yorke going, Sydney FC chairman Walter Bugno made it clear the club would seek another big-name signing. One possibility is former Japan skipper Hidetoshi Nakata, who played against Australia in the World Cup.

"Sydney FC has always maintained that marquee players have an important role to play in the early stages of the A-League," Bugno said in a statement last night.

"Before the A-League started we believed in the principal of a marquee player and now we have seen the advantages, on and off the field, we will set out to find another player who can contribute as much to the game as Dwight has ? Our coaching staff will start drawing up a list of targets straight away and I am in Europe for the next two weeks so I am available to meet with any prospective marquee players."

It is believed Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy, whose family holds a controlling interest in the club, has already approved purchasing another star player. But with the transfer window closing this morning, only out-of-contract players will be available.

Yorke yesterday would not comment, telling Fox Sports: "I've got a contract here [with Sydney]. Unless I'm told otherwise, there's no point me commenting on the situation. I've been told to stay here and do a bit of gym work ? and just stay by the phone."

Sydney coach Terry Butcher, who 24 hours earlier said he knew "nothing" of any transfer, was disappointed to see Yorke leave but echoed the thoughts of Bugno.

"It's sad to see Dwight leave," Butcher said in the statement. "He is a great player and a tremendous personality to have in the team and he has worked very hard since I came to Sydney to be in shape to play. He has great respect amongst the players and coaching staff and he will be missed."

Earlier in the day after arriving in Melbourne, Butcher told reporters: "We would all like the situation resolved ? it's been a difficult preparation. This is a huge match for us. We've had a lot of disruption this season, and this is another episode."

Despite the distraction, Butcher said he understood Yorke's motives, adding: "I think he could definitely still do a job back in England, right at the top level ? I think he's still keen to prove himself on the top stage ?

"It's only because of Roy Keane's appointment that the interest has finally materialised. He's a great marquee player for us and the league as well, and the league would certainly be worse off, and we would certainly be worse off, if he wasn't to be here."

Butcher remains optimistic he will find a suitable replacement.

"If Dwight does move, we will still be in the market for a marquee player, the club's in agreement about that," he said. "There's not that many going around at this stage of the season ? So we will have to really get our thinking caps on."

Soruce: SMH
    Last edited by grimmace; 01-09-06 at 08:10 AM.

Um Grimmace, you posted the article twice... :lol!:

I guess in the game of football, no one is that loyal to their clubs and you try to get the best out of players while they are playing...

Dwight gave great service to the Sydney FC club and did us a great deal in ensuring the name of Sydney FC got around the world, he's wasn't too bad a player either and wish him all the best over in Sunderland, I know he's gone over there for a chance, here's hoping he gets it.

Oh well, nothing lost, means we can chase someone else, that's what happens in football, players go, find another, I hear Shearer and Di Canio are in town next week...

Personally I hope we can get someone really good, but with the transfer window closing in an hour, a short term contract is the best we can hope for...

Oh and Hyphen aka. Topor-Stanley will do the job this weekend, we can still teach those Melbourne boys a lesson...

real pity that your best player can leave right at the start of the season. it can't be a good feeling for the rest of the players...

Junior Titan

that's a shame hopefully they can get a another good player
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    real pity that your best player can leave right at the start of the season. it can't be a good feeling for the rest of the players...
    Yep that is right Steve, but it happens all the time overseas, that is transfer windows for you... and its a part of the game, everyone is use to it and the ramifications of that... so they expect it.

Sad for the club, but they will soldier on, we have enough quality players to fill the void, but DL yep Sydney FC will chase another, as Marquee players are needed to market the Sydney FC ideals overseas to others and get them aware of the FC brand..