Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans: Let's get Lote!

Titans: Let's get Lote!

With the untimely retirement of Brian Carney and the release of Steve Turner, we find ourselves as a team in a fortunate position of having some cap room to spare for the 2008 season. Who not better to throw money at than dual international Lote Tuqiri who in either code, stands with the elite footballers on the planet.

Australian captain Darren Lockyer is quoted in the Daily Telegraph as saying, ""If I was a betting man I would think [the Reds] are favourites if he wants to come back to Brisbane." - so be it - though favourites don't always get up, just take a look at the St George-Illawarra Dragons

Lote is a marquee player who puts bums on seats and attracts sponsorship interest. On and off the field, Lote is a winner who will provide his new employer endless opportunities in areas afforded to only the most marketable in professional sport. Lote can make the Gold Coast Titans appeal to world wide market.

Would Lote be a winger for the Titans or would they try and get him close to the action at fullback, five-eighth or centre? I'd love to see him in Titans colours but don't know if any Rugby League club can justify the asking price for a winger, although Lote is one that could be the focal point of the attack!

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose
    Would Lote be a winger for the Titans or would they try and get him close to the action at fullback, five-eighth or centre? I'd love to see him in Titans colours but don't know if any Rugby League club can justify the asking price for a winger, although Lote is one that could be the focal point of the attack!
    As an overall package, I can argue to justify his price - we make that money back through sponsors on and off the field + ticket sales and other corporate avenues outside of that.

Lote I think can handle fullback and would love the open spaces afforded to him from the back. Either way, winger, centre or fullback - Lote scores tries and would look right at home in a backline featuring Prince, Rogers, Campbell and in the not too distant future Sandow.

Does anyone really believe he would return to league to any other team other than the Broncos.

I'd like to think he might but I really don't think so. :: :hmm:

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim
    Does anyone really believe he would return to league to any other team other than the Broncos.

I'd like to think he might but I really don't think so. :: :hmm:
    I never thought I would see Steve Price in any other club colours outside of Belmore ... Brisbane as a league option would be the favourite though we are right in the hunt for the former Bronco

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    As an overall package, I can argue to justify his price - we make that money back through sponsors on and off the field + ticket sales and other corporate avenues outside of that.

There's no doubting the Titans (or any other club for that matter) would have the money to pay him as long as they stay under the salary cap But that's not the issue when the question of if he's worth it in a monetary sense comes up.
    The more important issue is freeing up the huge amount of money he'll no doubt be after at the expense of many other players salaries and keeping them all under the cap.

It's great to have a marquee player, but what players will you lose down the track or won't be able to sign due to the fact that you can't afford to keep them or buy them? All because one player is taking up such a large chunk of your cap? It takes much more than one man to win the comp and it's no good having him or anyone else of his calibre if you haven't got the talent and depth to back him up.

There's been plenty of teams with one or two stars over the years in any sport but how many titles have they won. A big fat zero that's how many. I just think it's something that all clubs should and will look at when they try to sign his name.
    Last edited by Supernova; 18-01-07 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Coast Bulletin
    Extra cash so Titans are now chasing Tuquiri

17Jan07

THE cashed-up Gold Coast Titans have set their sights on snaring Wallaby Lote Tuquiri following the shock retirement of Great Britain winger Brian Carney yesterday.

The loss of winger Carney came just hours after the Titans finalised a deal to trade troublesome 22-year-old winger Steve Turner back to Melbourne.

It also took the gloss off the news the club had picked up dual international Mat Rogers for the 2007 season.

Carney was signed for the next two seasons while Turner was to play in Titans colours for the next three.

The decisions by the pair to exit the club has freed up a substantial sum of money, which Searle now plans to put to good use and buy a marquee player for next season.

Searle will arrange a meeting with Tuquiri's manager within the next week or so.

"His agent contacted us saying he (Tuquiri) had a genuine desire to return to league," said Searle.

"I think definitely, we are in a good position now with our cap.

"If he was genuine about coming back to league I would rate us an equal chance as the next club to secure him.

"Our priority is to secure another marquee player, given we have the cash in our cap. Lote Tuquiri definitely fits into that category."
    Hope we get him, he would be an awesome buy.

Hey if there is a remote chance of getting Lote then you have to try. The signings of Rogers, Prince, Bailey and Campbell are all high profile and the addition of Lote would be great for the Titans. And Titans will be one of the few teams with any money to throw.

One thing though Deegan.

The money situation isn't a problem in the sense of it would send the Titans broke but signing Lote for half a mill is money spent on one player when you could look at signing two quality forwards with money left over without signing him.

But hey, what better way to get the rivalry going with Bronco's as they would despise us for getting Lote. Not only would the Bronco's dislike us but the Titans would be the ENVY of the whole NRL.

Like I said in another thread, Lote would have to drop his asking price. No winger/centre can demand union competitive prices in League with our salary cap.

I see what you saying DeeGan about getting it back in ticket sales and sponsorship etc, but regardless of the size of the Titan's bank account, they're still only allowed to spend 4 million on the top 25. While there is no doubt about Lote's ability, I think the money could be better spent on building depth, especially in the front row, where you could probably buy a decent starting set of bookends for the price of Lote.

However if Lote really wants to be back in League, and the GC can attract him their way at a reasonable price, it'd be an excellent signing. If for nothing else, the Titans would deserve praise for bringing the converts back to League.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

He would be awesome, the only doubt is the whole salary cap issue, I can't help to think, if The titan's will struggle to fit him under the salary cap, how the hell would the broncos be able to do it? They got, jeez, I've lost count of all their State/Country Reps they have! :roll:

Also i have to agree with CS, The remaining money in the salary cap could more efficiently be spent on a bunch of solid Front Rowers, and at the end of the day, having good depth is better than having 1 good Winger! As much as I would want him back in League, playing for the Titans, I really don't think it's gunna happen. But whatever is done, It will the best for The Titans, and that's what matters most!

GO THE MAROONS!

As much as I'd love to see it... if Lote doesn't want to sign to union for the wads of cash their giving him, then there must be another reason.

I can assure you he could be back in league, but his asking price is too high... and that leave you thinking, what does Lote want.... it's not money, otherwise he would have signed with Union by now, but it's also not a chance to play league, otherwise he'd drop the asking price.

It's a strange one, and it will be interesting to see where Lote puts the piece next...

Titans First Grader

It will be good if Titans could secure him, how much would be the upper limit to pay him though?

Didn't the Tigers use some of their leftover salary cap from the year before or something to sign Benji or another high-profile player? Surely the Titans could do that and use this years excess funds and use them to sign Lote for next year and beyond couldn't they? Even though I don't agree with it, if it has been done before, can it be done again? It should

If he's not going to play for the Broncos then I'd say that the Titans and Reds have the best chances of signing him. And since he's pretty disillusioned with union I reckon if the Titans would have to be a pretty big chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ||-GOB-||
    If he's not going to play for the Broncos then I'd say that the Titans and Reds have the best chances of signing him. And since he's pretty disillusioned with union I reckon if the Titans would have to be a pretty big chance.
    The Broncos would most likely be the club he would want to return to, but they don't have any money left under the salary cap to offer him much. If he does decide it is time to come back to league, I reckon the Titans would have to be one of the front runners, with the money now available to us, due to Turner and Carney, and the fact that we are a club in his home state.

Hopefully we know more in the next few weeks.....
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 19-01-07 at 08:40 AM.