Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown
    Well..at least Steve Turner had the nerve to let them know...six months' in advance of the start of the season. Brian Carney lets them know 2 months away from round 1, and less than 24 hours after arriving, and after making this statement:

"I just want to get in the side, to be honest," Carney said.

Looks like he wasn't being honest...but if you call that class...then we must agree to disagree.

Both players have at the end of the day, done what's best for them, and have enough strength to follow through with their (obviously tough) decisions.
    Or he could of took the money and run ...

No one has to agree here. Titans management were impressed with how Carney went about his decision, that's all that matters in the end. When a player knows it's time to retire, I would rather know this far out from the season and not during it - this was the case in 2006 with the Knights whereby Matt Johns was influential in keeping him in the NRL competition.

Let's not bring Steve Turner in to a thread he has nothing to do with - there are plenty on this forum discussing the Titans/Turner situation.

BTW, Carney went to management last night re: the retirement - should he have informed the media before going to Michael? I think not hence the comment that was made.

Extremely disappointed for the Titans, but good luck to Brian and his family. It all seems a bit surreal for the Titans at the moment with players coming and going and injuries flaring up before the first game. Looks like Walker's on!!

Reading over the comments that Carney has made of late, it sounds like he was trying to talk himself into it and realised after being flogged by Billy Johnstone that he indeed couldn't bluff his way through. Big loss not only for the Titans who will cover it, but for the sport of Rugby League.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Wow, at first I thought 'Carney couldn't be gone, pfft', but then I saw the news articles, and, well, wow. Very unexpected. I was really looking forward to seeing Brian on the sideline for the Titans. He is a class player and a big loss. Sure, the Titans have players to cover for him, but Brian is very hard to replace. But in the end he made the right decision. Playing a season or some of a season when you don't want to is not the right thing to do, and as Supergoose said, he was probably trying to talk himself into playing, probably thought 'I will change my mind and play once I get over there', but didn't. Good luck to Brian, and I commend him for not seeking a release so that he could change his mind and play for another club.

Just saw on news he offered to compensate the club, not sure if they took it but Brian Carney is a good bloke.
    I wish him luck in the future.

Disappointing for us but his reasons are understandable, maybe just a bit more notice would have been better. I don't think he is a malicious bloke and whilst it would have been great to have him on the wing and in the team fullstop, we gotta keep moving on, draw a line under it and look forward.

As they say, you can't saw sawdust

GO THE TITANS!!!!

OH and Channel 10 news in Brisbane.....they on some sort of vendetta or just Bronco mad?

They lead with the Titans story....'Sinking faster than the titanic' .....'Farcical day' among other choice quotes before singing the praises of the fittest Broncos team....looking to emulate 2006.......

I support ANY team from Queensland but being Born & Bred on the Coast , Titans is now THE way to go and for info.....the ship is far from sinking Channel 10 sports dude :box:

wanker

GO THE TITANS!

What can you say but that is a shock... and really sad to see.

I totally understand that if Brian's heart is no longer in Rugby League due to what is happening back home, then he should call it a day. The fact he was willing to compensate the club illustrates that he was 100% willing to play for the club if his heart was in it.

It takes a big man to admit that they should call it a day and risk it all... but if you aren't 100% dedicated to it, then you should, as it means that someone who is dedicated will do the job.

Brian did this and should be commended, I wish him all the best for the future, I know there are certain people here who will not be happy about this, but remember, he told the club first and leaves on good terms, and he always did the best for the GC, and for that, he should be farewelled with the utmost respect.

What a bloody joke this is becoming now. It is **** been a titans fan at the moment.

Let's hope nothing else happens. See ya carney you no talent hack.

carney is a joke glad hes gone leaving it so late before teh start of the season

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

I personally couldn't wait for this guy to land and start training. I was very excited to see the photos in the paper. But......

Why did you even bother to get on the plane Brian.

As for acted proffesionally and should be commended..... THATS B.S. Its a typical comment from people that sits on the fence and don't want to upset the wrong people.

At the end of the day he has wasted alot of peoples time. Don't say anything else, Get back to where it is you want to be and Thanks for nothing.

All I can say is....

WALKERS ON!!!!!!!!!

i agree hope walker kicks some butt and has a awsome season

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Junior Titan

So nothing to read here between the lines? Often where there is smoke there is fire. Turner.... Carney.....

Reminds me of the lobster thief and his 'signing' with Souths and then mysterious retirement only to resurface at Manly.

or Jamie Lyons quitting Parra for the bush because he waz homesick only to move to ..... England??

Something smells.

Was it the heat or the desire (first day of training) but good luck to him.
    Maybe we could give the extra money to some of the younger players (if they perform) to make them stay and it would incourage them to try that little bit harder. Like a bonus.

It was always going to be tricky to get this side off the ground, without hiccups.

Im just glad we have lost two wingers, and not Scotty Prince or Bailey of any of the really important positions.

Lets face it, Titans management would have known about this before he flew back into the country, he showed his face at training, he waited untill other matters had been sorted out, and then announced what they all allready knew. He did handle this well, and if he ends up back at another NRL club, then so be it, after all he is a winger.

With all this spare cash, its time to get Tequiri back in QLD
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Bing103 & Diehard I think its fair to apoligise to Lowdown! & Steelers how are you going mate