Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Junior Titan

Default Brian Carney Has Retired

This may or may not be true, but 'apparently' reports are filtering through only now have Carney citing personal reasons and turning his back on the Titans....

This may be a wind-up...but what drama it would be if true...
    Last edited by Lowdown; 16-01-07 at 12:47 PM.

Junior

I highly doubt that! Unless you have a Link, he yesterday was saying how great it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BING103
    I highly doubt that! Unless you have a Link, he yesterday was saying how great it is.
    Right on!

For the record, I changed the title of this thread and added Rumour: in front of it.

I believe it was a misleading title and would give users an unwarranted shock.

I believe it's merely a gee up anyway.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 16-01-07 at 01:01 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

Link...lookis like its fair dinkum:

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12641

Carney walks out on Titans
    Written by: Matt Starkey
    January 15th, 2007 09:13 PM
    The Gold Coast Titans have suffered a major blow to their 2007 campaign with International winger Brian Carney walking out on the club after one day.

In has been a tumultuous week for the club with estranged winger Steve Turner gaining a release and dual International Mat Rogers signing for 2007 a year ahead of schedule before rolling his ankle in his first training session today.

Titans CEO Michael Searle is due to give a press conference shortly, but intrigue has surrounded the signing of Carney from day one.

He was one of the first purchases for the club in 2005 before seeking a release from Wigan and landing in Newcastle to play one season with the Knights in ?06.

Rumours abounded that he desired to stay put in the Hunter but they were later denied in the press by both player and club. Recently, reports surfaced that he was having work visa issues and only landed on the Gold Coast this week to take part in his only training session yesterday.

This leaves many questions unanswered as to the reasons behind his sudden change of heart, but after failing to show for training today he is widely expected to announce his retirement from the game.

PS - Please remove 'rumour' from the thread title - thanks Super Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown
    PS - Please remove 'rumour' from the thread title - thanks Super Mods!
    We will either wait for an official statement from the Titans or an article from a major news outlet.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    We will either wait for an official statement from the Titans or an article from a major news outlet.
    Harsh...but fair.

Harsh...but fair.
    Whys it harsh, he was quite right to wait for anything from the Titans administration for official news.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Whys it harsh, he was quite right to wait for anything from the Titans administration for official news.
    I was actually being quite jovial about the 'Harsh but fair' - but its not a rumour is it? - it might be an incorrect news article...but it aint a rumour.

But whatever...if we want to be pedantic and protect your readers from getting a rude 'shock' then I'm cool with that...but lets not forget this is merely a fan forum. A lot more rumours and inuendos are posted without 'RUMOUR' being stamped all over it...

I was actually being quite jovial about the 'Harsh but fair' - but its not a rumour is it? - it might be an incorrect news article...but it aint a rumour.

But whatever...if we want to be pedantic and protect your readers from getting a rude 'shock' then I'm cool with that...but lets not forget this is merely a fan forum. A lot more rumours and inuendos are posted without 'RUMOUR' being stamped all over it...
    Oh ok fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumour
    Definition of rumour - A story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts
    We will wait and follow this story as it develops.

Let's focus on the story at hand and forget about the title of the thread and get it back on track.

Stay tuned.

Thumbs down

Brian Carney quits rugby league

Great Britain winger Brian Carney has quit rugby league only days after starting training with his new club.

The 30-year-old international joined the fledgling Gold Coast Titans team after a year playing with the Newcastle Knights and was expected to take a leadership role within the team.

But sources close to the player say Carney simply realised he had lost his passion for the game over the summer break.

It is also believed he is missing his family in Great Britain and Ireland, where he began his career in Gaelic football before being lured across the Irish Channel to play rugby league with the Wigan club in the north of England.

The news caps a horror day for the club after fellow star signing Mat Rogers succumbed to an ankle injury in his first training session.

Carney came to Australia at the urging of league legend and good mate Andrew Johns and was one of the standout players in the 2006 Knights team.

But speculation about Carney's desire to play for the Titans started to circulate last week when he was delayed in joining the club's pre-season training regime.

At the time, Titans coach John Cartwright said the Irishman was held up by visa problems and would not follow in the footsteps of unsettled winger Steve Turner.

The wing position is becoming something of a hoodoo for the Titans, with Turner still locked in negotiations with the club to remain with the Melbourne Storm.

NINEMSN
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 16-01-07 at 01:51 PM.

Junior Titan

NINEMSN...RUMOUR ENDED:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=177666

Brian Carney quits rugby league
    Tuesday Jan 16 13:00 AEDT

By Danny Weidler
    National Nine News
    Sport reporter

Great Britain winger Brian Carney has quit rugby league only days after starting training with his new club.

The 30-year-old international joined the fledgling Gold Coast Titans team after a year playing with the Newcastle Knights and was expected to take a leadership role within the team.

But sources close to the player say Carney simply realised he had lost his passion for the game over the summer break.

It is also believed he is missing his family in Great Britain and Ireland, where he began his career in Gaelic football before being lured across the Irish Channel to play rugby league with the Wigan club in the north of England.

The news caps a horror day for the club after fellow star signing Mat Rogers succumbed to an ankle injury in his first training session.

Carney came to Australia at the urging of league legend and good mate Andrew Johns and was one of the standout players in the 2006 Knights team.

But speculation about Carney's desire to play for the Titans started to circulate last week when he was delayed in joining the club's pre-season training regime.

At the time, Titans coach John Cartwright said the Irishman was held up by visa problems and would not follow in the footsteps of unsettled winger Steve Turner.

The wing position is becoming something of a hoodoo for the Titans, with Turner still locked in negotiations with the club to remain with the Melbourne Storm.

Massive blow to the club on and off the field

Quote Originally Posted by Hindyscrack
    Massive blow to the club on and off the field
    Also for Irish rugby league!

CARNEY RETIRES!

Great Britain International and Jetstar Gold Coast Titans #3 signing Brian Carney has retired from all levels of Rugby League, effective immediately.

The thirty year old arrived on the Gold Coast on Sunday and commenced training with his Jetstar Titan team mates yesterday before informing Managing Director Michael Searle and Coach John Cartwright he?d had a change of heart and no longer had the desire to play.

While the news came as an obvious shock, Searle says Brian has the full support of the club. ?We totally support Brian in his decision to retire from professional football and support his decision to return home to commence his Masters study at University and to be with his family.?

I would like to personally thank Brian for his integrity and the manner in which he handled this, he had the fortitude to do this face to face and that strength of character is rare today.?

?Only a footballer knows when it is time to retire and Brian has been struggling with this decision for some time and we wish Brian all the best in the future.?

While not wishing to comment publicly, Brian Carney said the decision had been the toughest of his life and he had been struggling with it for some time.

?I have made this decision with a heavy heart and it has been a difficult decision for me to make but I dearly want to get home to my family and I couldn?t act like a fraud by taking the Club?s money when I knew in my heart I couldn?t see the year out.?

Ironically Carney was one of the squads best performers during yesterdays training session at the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre. ?The boys are a great bunch of lads and I could not do it to them. Continuing on would have been for all the wrong reasons and I have never played the game for money, it has been for the challenge and I know my mind is not up for this new challenge.?

In a further show of sincerity, Carney has requested that the Jetstar Titans hold back a contractual release.
    ? To ensure there is no speculation about my future I have told the Titans to hold back a contractual release so that offer may go some way to ensure that media speculation is not about me doing this to go back to Great Britain to play rugby league or rugby union?

?I have made this decision to return home so I can go back to the UK to finish my Masters and to reunite with my family. I have always made decisions for me and now it is time for me to make a decision that is in the interests of my family.?

Source: Gold Coast Titans.