Junior

Default Rogers Sprains Ankle

Not The Greatest Start

Training mishap for Rogers

January 16, 2007 DUAL international Mat Rogers sprained an ankle in his first training session with the Gold Coast Titans today.

Rogers sought medical treatment after receiving the injury in his first workout with the new NRL franchise, but it is not considered too serious.

The 31 year-old agreed terms for the 2007 season after quitting rugby union last month, citing personal reasons.

He was not due to join the Titans until the end of this year.

Rogers accepted a massive pay cut to defect to rugby league, and it's understood he'll be paid $140,000 to play for the Titans this year.

Wow that is very unfortunate. Hope he is ok and that it won't give him much trouble.

Also do you have a source for the article BING103?
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

No biggy.

Just a twist, he'll be fine in a couple of days, I'm sure.

The Titans are the new kids on the block so are well and truly under the microscope by news sources, doomdayers and opposing fans.

Every little or big event is blown well beyond realistic proportions, bringing into question their competitiveness, credibility and future.

Speculation becomes hearsay; hearsay becomes gossip; gossip becomes unsubstantiated rumour and rumour becomes fact.

Christ, I'm sure I've done more damage falling out of bed.

Very true Bigjim.

I've been surprised how much Titans coverage there has been on the national news bulletins lately. You'd think you were just watching the local Gold Coast news the way they are dominating the sports reports.

Let's just hope that they keep getting plenty of coverage in a couple of months for positive reasons (winning).

y Josh Massoud

January 17, 2007 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

UNTIL yesterday, Hollywood on the Gold Coast resided at Movie World.

But after hosting the most calamitous morning in pre-season memory, the Gold Coast Titans now rival the neighbouring themepark for edge-of-the-seat action and drama.

Between Mat Rogers injuring his ankle and Brian Carney's shock retirement, there were thrills and spills aplenty at Runaway Bay Sports Centre.

With a horde of cameras gathered to capture Rogers' first training run, the ex-Wallaby added another reel to a saga-filled couple of months.

Less than 30 minutes into the session, Rogers rolled his right ankle and the image of him limping off gave credence to naysayers who maintain he is injury-prone.

"It was just a simple roll of the ankle ... everything will be okay, there's nothing to worry about," Rogers, 30, said.

"I had a crook ankle about a year ago but it's not that ankle anyway."

He later vowed to be back, but the same cannot be said of Carney.

Having flown 20,000km from England on the weekend, the Irish winger completed just a single training run on Monday.

But as Rogers sought treatment for his sprain, rumours were rife Carney would never return after failing to show for training.

By lunchtime, Titans CEO Michael Searle confirmed the Great Britain star had already began his trip home after deciding to retire.

"It was a total shock," Searle said. "You could have picked me up off the floor on (Monday) night."

Innuendo arose as early as last August that Carney was set to renege on his two-year deal.

But after defying visa delays to land on the holiday strip, the 30-year-old enthused about "being part of something special" after training on Monday.

Sources close to Carney last night confirmed he battled homesickness since debuting in the NRL with Newcastle last year.

A trip back to his homeland for family Christmas only made it harder to leave again.

Despite that, Carney thought he would be okay once he arrived on the Gold Coast and began training.

However, as one friend put it, "his Irish gypsy spirit" left him walking the Gold Coast streets lost and forlorn.

Carney's mind was made on Monday night to return to the UK. Once there he will finish a masters in commercial law and spend more time with father Brian, who lives in Hungary.

"I have made this decision with a heavy heart and it has been a difficult decision for me to make," Carney said via a statement yesterday.

"But I dearly want to get home to my family and I couldn't act like a fraud by taking the club's money when I knew in my heart I couldn't see the year out."

Carney's departure leaves the Gold Coast desperately short out wide after Searle granted winger Steve Turner a release to Melbourne less than 24 hours earlier.

Rubbing ample salt into the wound, Turner yesterday afternoon stepped out for his return training run with the Storm.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Geeze.. And he hasn't even hopped on a massage table yet..
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo