Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans no threat to Broncos: Gillmeister

Titans no threat to Broncos: Gillmeister
    11:00 AM January 11

Gold Coast Titans assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister does not believe the new club will impact greatly on the supporter base of the Brisbane Broncos.

The club held its first open training session on the Gold Coast this week and will play its first trial against Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour next month.

The Broncos currently draw the best crowds of any club in the National Rugby League (NRL).

The Titans play their first ever NRL match at the Broncos' home ground, Lang Park, but Gillmeister said south-east Queensland was big enough for two NRL teams.

"I think this is a sign of the times that probably in south-east Queensland, the amount of people, the population and you've probably got the element of people who don't like the Broncos or follow any Queensland side," he said.

"And I'm sure the amount of people in Brisbane who I speak to as well just want see good NRL football on every weekend."

Source: ABC

from http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/stor...rt/1824970.inp

Quote Originally Posted by Casey's Angel27
    The Broncos currently draw the best crowds of any club in the National Rugby League (NRL).
    That's coz it's in QUEENSLAND! All QLD teams draw huge crowds, no matter how important the game is, or who they're playing! QLD'ers love their footy, and really, do deserve to see more international matches!

I'm assuming it will be exactly the same with the Titans, packed out crowds, great atmosphere, and awesome footy!!! Titan's won't effect Bronco's crowds and Bronco's won't affect Titans crowds! :hi:

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    That's coz it's in QUEENSLAND! All QLD teams draw huge crowds, no matter how important the game is, or who they're playing! QLD'ers love their footy, and really, do deserve to see more international matches!

I'm assuming it will be exactly the same with the Titans, packed out crowds, great atmosphere, and awesome footy!!! Titan's won't effect Bronco's crowds and Bronco's won't affect Titans crowds! :hi:
    The Broncos in terms of drawing crowds are starting to get some competition hehe

Go Gilly!

We will only be a threat to the Broncos on the field, of it, we offer their fans a true rivalry and the boost to crowds and media buzz will be massive.

As Trevor says, Queensland is big enough to support three teams. Infact SEQLD can support more than two, but that is another story. Queenslanders also have the ability to support more than one team, most, nearly all have a #1 but would follow the other two.

Especially when there previously was only ONE NRL game a fortnight in SEQLD. We can support two and it will do rugby league, the Broncos and the Titans so much good.

We have also proved we can build a blue chip sponsorship stable on our own. With local, national and international brands (If you include Coca Cola Amaital in that).

For too long rugby league at NRL level in Queensland has been a bit stale and stagnate, the Titans are about to light a fire under it, instilling and encouraging passion for all our teams.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

it's healthy competition.

it'll be good for the game in queensland, for sure. there's no way we've reached saturation point... 3 clubs in a big state isn't a crowd.

It is also because the Broncos are a one-city town, while teams in Sydney need to battle against heaps of other teams for crowds every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    It is also because the Broncos are a one-city town, while teams in Sydney need to battle against heaps of other teams for crowds every weekend.
    yea but also the finals, leading up to the big one, they don't draw near enough ppl, where as I'd say if they were played in QLD, they would be sold out quick as a flash!

GO THE MAROONS!

yea but also the finals, leading up to the big one, they don't draw near enough ppl, where as I'd say if they were played in QLD, they would be sold out quick as a flash!
    I agree with you on that, but thats because Brissy doesn't get much footy (as DIEHARD said, up until this year it has been a game every 2 weeks, while Sydney has around 3-4 games a week).

I agree with you on that, but thats because Brissy doesn't get much footy (as DIEHARD said, up until this year it has been a game every 2 weeks, while Sydney has around 3-4 games a week).
    yea true that, But This shall be a good season, with the ability to see more games getting played in the South East! We do deserve it after all!

GO THE MAROONS!

yea true that, But This shall be a good season, with the ability to see more games getting played in the South East! We do deserve it after all!
    There is no doubt we deserve it! Really SE QLD deserves 3 or 4 teams IMO, but don't expect that to happen anytime soon

There is no doubt we deserve it! Really SE QLD deserves 3 or 4 teams IMO, but don't expect that to happen anytime soon
    I agree but the Boncos will huff and puff about that.

Spot on Dragons... The Broncos dominance of the area and success has ensured it will be tough for new SE QLD teams to be created... however good luck to the Gold Coast on taking some ground off the Broncos... any ground taken away is a good thing... we need competition in one of RL's heartlands...

The Broncos shouldnt really think about whos a threat anyway because they gotta focus on their upcoming WCC game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    The Broncos shouldnt really think about whos a threat anyway because they gotta focus on their upcoming WCC game.
    Something tells me that sustaining a prominent fan base in the SE QLD area for many years to come is more important than the most important trial match of the year

Something tells me that sustaining a prominent fan base in the SE QLD area for many years to come is more important than the most important trial match of the year
    Lol i guess thats true. The Broncos trial game would be decent preparation for the season though.