Default Cronulla stealing Rogers from Titans grasp?

Sharks chasing lost son Rogers

CRONULLA last night flagged an audacious bid to lure favourite son Mat Rogers back from the Gold Coast following the resignation of Darren Albert.

Reeling yesterday from Albert's decision to walk out in pursuit of a British-based love interest, Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce said he was willing to explore the possibility of Rogers filling the sudden hole next season.

"We'll get over Alby first and then I'll have a chat to (coach) Ricky Stuart and see what he thinks," Pierce said.

"There are not many experienced outside backs going around now.

"I've always got on well with Mat and I'm happy to ring him if Ricky wants me to."

Rogers's former NRL club, however, would face an uphill battle for his services against new franchise Gold Coast Titans.

After securing a release from the ARU last month, the ex-Waratah shifted his young family to Queensland just over a week ago in what most considered a surefire sign he would join the Titans in 2007.

The 30-year-old has also moved to enrol his son into his former boarding school, The Southport School.

Already contracted to Gold Coast from 2008, Rogers cited a need to start afresh outside Sydney as one of the main reasons for walking away from rugby a year early.

Starting with the death of his father Steve last January, he has endured a traumatic year that culminated when brother Don tried to take his own life last month.

Despite taking up residence on the Gold Coast, Rogers remains a free agent for the coming season.

He could not be contacted for comment yesterday.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle said last night he was confident of finalising a bridging deal early next week.

Asked if Rogers's signature was a done deal, Searle replied: "We don't have to lock him up in a dark room with a lamp and get him to sign a contract.

"We have sort of spoken about where we are at, but haven't executed a deal yet."

Pierce acknowledged the Sharks would start at long odds to tempt Rogers into a return.

However, Albert's sudden departure has given the Sharks some added bargaining power - believed to be about $150,000 - under this year's salary cap.

Foxsports.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

No return for Mat, says Stuart

RICKY Stuart has thrown cold water on the prospect of Mat Rogers returning to the Sharks - declaring the former Australia rugby player is not in his sights.

Sharks chief executive officer Greg Pierce on Tuesday entertained the prospect of Rogers returning to Cronulla after the sudden departure of wing Darren Albert.

Stuart last night said the former Sharks wing would not be recruited back to the side.

"I am trying to build for the future here," Stuart said.

"It is obvious he wants to start a new life up there and I wish him all the best."

Contracted to the Titans for 2008, the new Gold Coast club is confident of soon finalising a deal with Rogers for 2007 as well

FOXSPORTS.COM.AU
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Smart man Ricky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Plus, I thought Mat couldn't wait to leave Sydney?

Hopefully we can secure him for this year soon.

Like Father like Son
    I wouldnt mind if he played at the Sharks.

Greg Pierce was just stirring the pot to get a reaction.
    How would Matty's credibility look after saying he left Union to get out of Sydney and return to the Gold Coast to then turn around and join Sharks for 2007. :whatd: :whatd:

Was never a consideration. Just a mouth flapping in the wind.

Titan First Grade Regular

More to the point of a severe case of wishful thinking.cya. :hi: