Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Aus v WI First Test Thread.

For all discussion on the first test!!!

Australia v West Indies, first Test

Bracken swings in ahead of Hodge

Cricinfo staff

October 27, 2005

Nathan Bracken offers the selectors more options on a pitch expected to seam ? Getty Images

Nathan Bracken's left-arm swing bowling has earned him a recall after he replaced Brad Hodge in the 12-man squad for the first Test against West Indies at Brisbane. Bracken, who played the last of his three Tests for Australia in 2004, was picked ahead of state rival Stuart Clark as Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, insisted on more options for a wicket that traditionally suits the fast men.

"We felt it was prudent to introduce another paceman to the squad in place of an extra batsman," Hohns said. Stuart MacGill was retained and the decision means Shane Watson will almost certainly be given a short-term run at sealing the allrounder's spot.

Hohns said a decision on whether MacGill and Shane Warne would again be used in tandem depended on the pitch and weather conditions in the lead-up to the start on Thursday. "Since the end of the Super Test in Sydney there has been a lot of speculation about the option of playing the two spinners," he said. "With both Shane and Stuart in the squad we still have that option."

The announcement was another setback for Hodge, who has been the reserve batsmen on the tours to India, New Zealand and England without playing a match, and was 12th man for the Super Test. "It's disappointing to miss out on a place, but following our solid start to the season I'm looking forward to playing for Victoria," he said. "Hopefully I can put together some solid performances and put my name up before the selectors again."

Australia squad 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Justin Langer, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Simon Katich, 6 Shane Watson, 7 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 8 Shane Warne, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Glenn McGrath, 12 Stuart MacGill.

? Cricinfo

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Great to see Shane Watson still there at 6 though I stay firm in my belief we can take the two leggies into this test with Watson the 3rd seamer.

DeeGan

○ 27/10/05 1:45PM WW.Hinds has suffered a fractured his little finger on his left hand, will take no further part in thr match. he will also miss the first test and the 2nd warm up game

Thats the last thing the West Indies need. thats bad because i really want to see the West Indies go well but Aussy still win the matches

I think the Aussies should of played the 2 spinners for this test. Warney has admitted that the Gabba is his favourite pitch to bowl on, so why shouldn't we play both him and MacGill?

Wavell Hinds is a big loss for the Windies. Thatll hurt them.

I'll be surprised if they go in with MacGill, wouldnt surprise me one bit to see them leave him out. Watson is not a good enough bowler to be the 3rd quick, Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, hes straight up and down, hes got pace but thats it, no swing, no movement, and you need that to be a good test bowler

Why the hell is Bichel 12th man!? What a rip!! Its because theyre blooding that young quick I guess!

The fact that Watson got bugger all runs against the Windies, furthers my point that he shouldnt be there yet, his battings not up to scratch for the tests either.

If he comes out and gets runs and wickets in the first test, i will be more than happy to admit i was wrong.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

To me, Watson is overrated. The position-of-choice today is the bowling all rounder.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

Patience is a virtue! Wait and see how Watson goes before we throw him in the trash bin as he, Clarke and some other youngsters are going to be the future after the World Cup in 2007. Good to see Bracken get a run again, another under utilised guy in my eyes. Only downside I see to this team is that Stuart MacGill had to miss out again ...

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Shane Watson is written off after one test? Thankfully selectors persisted with a certain overweight, blonde hair leggie over a decade ago when he went 1 for 151 (or there abouts) vs India in his test debut.

Shane Watson's First Class Career

Matches 46 INN 79 N.O. 8 Runs 3283 H.S. 203* AVG 46.23 100s 9 50s 17

Balls 4356 Runs 2591 Wkts 85 BBi 6/32 AVG 30.48 S/R 51.24

There is plenty of potential in Shane Watson to fulfill the flavour of the month that being out test all-rounder and the selectors will persist with him as they will Michael Clarke as they are both 24 years of age.

Up and down bowler? We will see. Watson is a very good swing bowler especially at the GABBA.

DeeGan

Im not writing him off, I'm saying he's not ready for it yet as hes not a good enough bowler to be third quick in a test match. If they were picking him, as well as 3 other quicks and a spinner, then I wouldnt have an issue with him being there as there wouldnt be so much focus on his bowling.

If you don't think hes straight up and down, you must be watching a different bloke to me and the rest of the cricketing community. Even when you watch the tests the commentators have said countless times that all Watson is, up and down. Sure he can swing it abit, but not enough for a test match. Most bowlers can swing it a bit at the Gabba anyway, so if he doesnt even do that my point will be furthered.

Once again, I HOPE he proves me wrong, but at the Gabba and the WACA, even more so, he has to be able to swing it and get a movement, otherwise he's gonna be useless.

He needs abit longer in pura cup to learn how to swing, have Waquar Younnis do some net sessions with him, hes already indicated his willingness to teach these young guys so get him in, and go through some net sessions with Watson. The Bulls also have 2 very valuable resources in Michael Kasprowicz and Adam Dale, these 2 guys have forgotten more about swing bowling than Watson knows, they should be in there helping him too.

Your speaking for the rest of the cricketing community now PaRaNoIR? I thank you for speaking on their behalf.

As much as "If you don't think hes straight up and down, you must be watching a different bloke to me and the rest of the cricketing community" whilst that sounds terrific and adds to the post, it is incorrect as many sat and marvelled at the exhibition Watson served up at the GABBA in season 2004/05.

Your judging seemingly Watsons exploits with the ball after only two tests which both happened to be at the spin friendly SCG where the spinners dominate. Watson is pacey as they say, he is quick enough to be our 3rd or 4th seamer and will swing the ball.

Can Watson come out a winner after the GABBA Test PaRaNoIR? You have done a Phil Gould and covered both outcomes.

Even when you watch the tests the commentators have said countless times that all Watson is, up and down. Sure he can swing it abit, but not enough for a test match. Most bowlers can swing it a bit at the Gabba anyway, so if he doesnt even do that my point will be furthered.

Once again, I HOPE he proves me wrong, but at the Gabba and the WACA, even more so, he has to be able to swing it and get a movement, otherwise he's gonna be useless.
    If he bowls well, swings the ball...you give him no credit as it is at the GABBA or WACA.

If he bowls with no success...we will get a Gould-like "I told you so" when you get the chance. Very clever.

The art of swing bowling is not a matter of rocking up to the ground, rolling your arm over and the ball starts 'dancing' through the air. There are many variables that contribute to the ball moving and even the great bowlers can have trouble inducing swing with the ball if the conditions do not suit.

Shane Watson is at the moment a batsmen/bowler all-rounder. With the bat he is technically sound, with the ball he does need to improve and he will playing at test level in a team with McGrath and Warne.

Again, Watson is 24, like Clarke, we will persist with them as they are the future of this cricketing maching that is the Australian cricket team. Watson will be a mainstay in the Test side at number 7 as long as he remains injury free.

On a side note - anyone know what Terry Alderman - one of the best swingers WA has produced - doing now days? Why cant they get someone like him to coach the young 'uns!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    On a side note - anyone know what Terry Alderman - one of the best swingers WA has produced - doing now days? Why cant they get someone like him to coach the young 'uns!
    Great question, he would be great to bring in to the team with a Bruce Reid, Geoff Lawson or what about Billy McDermott?

We need a bowling coach, our bowlers need that support whether they admit it or not. Brett Lee is too expensive and wayward, Watson needs to continually develope in that area and Bracken needs the re-assurance.

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by PARANoIR
    Most bowlers can swing it a bit at the Gabba anyway, so if he doesnt even do that my point will be furthered.

Once again, I HOPE he proves me wrong, but at the Gabba and the WACA, even more so, he has to be able to swing it and get a movement, otherwise he's gonna be useless..
    Watsons home ground is the Gabba and he swings it really well their

Quote Originally Posted by PARANoIR
    The Bulls also have 2 very valuable resources in Michael Kasprowicz and Adam Dale, these 2 guys have forgotten more about swing bowling than Watson knows, they should be in there helping him too.
    I don't know how much you know about cricket but Adam Dale has been retired fro 3 years now. i think you mean bichel. Kaspers coming back from injury aswell.