Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans: Chris Walker making impression on Cartwright

Walker making impression on Titans coach
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 5:20 PM

Impressed by Chris Walker's work ethic at training, Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says he's leaning towards signing the controversial winger to the NRL club.

The Titans picked Walker off the scrapheap and offered him an NRL lifeline in November but a final decision on whether to sign the 26-year-old won't be made until after the club's three trials.

So far the former Queensland Origin player, released by Melbourne last year, hasn't put a foot wrong.

"Chris has done everything asked of him," said Cartwright, who worked with Walker at the Roosters where he was assistant coach under Ricky Stuart.

"He's training really well and from my time at the Roosters with him I know fitness and football is not a problem with Chris.

"We'll assess Chris at the end of the trials but he's not going anywhere.

"He's only got to keep doing what he's doing and there'll be a (first grade) spot for him somewhere."

Walker knows this could be his final chance to play NRL following stints with Brisbane, Souths, Sydney Roosters and the Storm before his move to the Gold Coast.

He gained a bad boy reputation during his time in Sydney but Cartwright believes the former Queensland Origin player is reformed.

"He's come here with a clean slate and he's done nothing wrong," the coach told reporters at an open training session.

"His training ethic is first-class and he's a positive member of the squad.

"If he maintains that through the trials I see no reason why he wouldn't be pushing for a first grade spot."

Cartwright said he had spoken to his squad about the importance of developing the right attitude as competition for spots heats up.

"I had a talk to them yesterday and a lot of times you have to pick the side on attitude," he added.

"We've got 31 in the squad here and I can't fault any one of them.

"If they're all level on attitude then it will come down to how they perform in the trials.

"It's a warm fuzzy feeling at the moment but they're all competing for 17 spots.

"That's a good thing to have in your club. I couldn't be happier at the moment."

The Titans play their first trial match on February 17 against Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

They will have two more games in which to gel as a team - against Parramatta and Penrith - before taking on St George Illawarra in their NRL premiership debut at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.

Source: AAP

Great news for Chris Walker and the Titans - I think he may just have the last laugh in 2007 and wipe egg on the faces of some critics

I have met him in past years and he seemed a little arrogant. Everytime I have seen him at Titans training, he always says hi. He seems more relaxed and settled. Lets hope he does prove his critics wrong and has a blinder on the wing for us this year. Im sure he will be an asset to our backline or interchange bench.

WALKERS ON!!!!!!!

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

The bad injury to peterson may open the door further for chris walker.

Titan First Grade Regular

If peterson is ruled out for the first few rounds or sumfin like that - Walker is signed.
    [

There is no doubt that Chris has realised this is his final chance, and this had led to him taking that chance with 2 hands. I am fairly confident that Chris will not be involved in any off-field incidents, and hopefully with all of that crap behind him, it will lead to success on the field

Its going to be a big ask for Chris. After all, the Gold Coast is the nightclub capital of Australia. Plenty of temptation and plenty of chances to get into trouble. :rotflmao:

Seriously, I hope the guy carves it up onfield. Everything else aside. He is actually a brilliant player when he puts his mind to it.

Evening DeeGan, hows things?

how old is Chris?
    [

I think he was born on13th September 1976, making him 30yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by dee13
    I think he was born on13th September 1976, making him 30yrs old.
    Nah mate it says in the article that he's 26.

But I agree with Steelers. I think Chris has FINALLY woken up to himself and realised he is going backwards in his career. From QLD jerseys and healthy contracts to bloody match payments. I really hope he has a cracker of a season, and career for that matter. Right back to his old try scoring best, adding even more contention to the QLD backline for SOO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Weighing up Walker
    January 10, 2007

FORMER Melbourne Storm bad boy Chris Walker is poised to grab another NRL lifeline, this time offered by new club Gold Coast Titans.

Walker, axed by Melbourne last August, has impressed expansion club Gold Coast since he began training there in November and appears set to make the Titans his fifth NRL team.

Titans coach John Cartwright, who worked with the 26-year-old when an assistant to Ricky Stuart at the Roosters, said Walker had not put a foot wrong after a tumultuous end to his time in Melbourne.

"Chris has done everything asked of him," Cartwright said. "He's training really well and from my time at the Roosters with him, I know fitness and football is not a problem with Chris.

"We'll assess Chris at the end of the trials. He's only got to keep doing what he's doing and there'll be a spot for him somewhere."

The Titans won't make a final decision on Walker until after the club's three trial matches, the first against Melbourne on February 17 in Coffs Harbour.

Walker was released by Storm in August after a tumultuous season, including a clash with police (no charges were laid) and high-profile relationship problems with soap-star partner Kate Ritchie.

Walker began his NRL career in Queensland with the Broncos in 1999 and played six Origin matches for the Maroons in 2001/2002.

He joined Souths on a lucrative three-year deal in 2003, but walked out of Redfern to join the Roosters midway through that season.

The Roosters cut him after 2005 before Melbourne gave him a 2006 home.

During his career, Walker has spent a night in a Townsville jail after a party and has been dumped by Queensland selectors after police used capsicum spray to subdue him in a Brisbane nightclub incident.

Cartwright said he thought Walker had reformed.

"He's come here with a clean slate and he's done nothing wrong. His training ethic is first-class and he's a positive member of the squad.

"If he maintains that through the trials I see no reason why he wouldn't be pushing for a first-grade spot."

Winger Steve Turner's future remains in doubt, with his manager David Riolo and the Titans still in discussions about which club he will play for in 2007. The NRL has ruled Turner must honour an agreement he made with the Titans last year, but he is desperate to remain with Storm.

AAP

My mistake, I thought 30 was to old. I did a google search and that was the first DOB I saw. Obviously they got it wrong as well. Sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by dee13
    My mistake, I thought 30 was to old. I did a google search and that was the first DOB I saw. Obviously they got it wrong as well. Sorry guys
    Its all good, mate.
    [

Wouldn't it be good to see Chris Walker have a huge 2007 season and show up that cat Steve Turner