Default Albert dumps Sharks

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

Albert dumps Sharks

WINGER Darren Albert has walked out of the Sharks with a year still remaining on his NRL contract.

The Sydney club released a statement saying Albert, 30, has decided to leave the club to live in the United Kingdom.

"We are extremely disappointed in Darren's decision, especially coming so close to the start of the 2007 season," Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce said.

"It must be stressed that the Sharks are not releasing Albert from his contract and he will not be able to play football for another club in 2007."

Albert's manager Gavin Orr cited personal reasons for the player's decision to walk out on the Sharks.

"My client has decided to leave the NRL for personal reasons," Orr said.

"Darren has no issue with either the Cronulla club, coaching staff or his teammates.

"He was very apologetic for leaving at such short notice and wishes the Sharks every success for the upcoming season."

Albert spent four years with English Super League side St Helens, where he scored 88 tries in 124 appearances from 2002 to 2005 before joining the Sharks last season.

He made his debut with Newcastle in 1996 and is best known for scoring the winning try for the Knights in 1997 ARL grand final.

Strange, but no massive loss. Albert had speed but his footwork to go with it was lacking. Wasn't much for getting out of dummy half on kick returns before the forwards got back either. This will open up the back line for some other blokes like Mitch Brown, maybe even Brown to fullback and Simmons into Albert's vacant wing spot. Who knows.. Hopefully Ricky Stuart knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titan First Grade Regular

Go For Lote.
    [

For me to know and for you to find out...lol

Bah...Johns made him look good at Newcastle ffs!!!

Real reason why Albert quit

Sharks officials are moving to end Darren Albert's career amid allegations the 32-year-old has been secretly negotiating a return to the English Super League.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that Albert was planning to link with English Super League powerhouse Huddersfield after dramatically walking out on the Sharks on Tuesday.

The former Newcastle flyer told coach Ricky Stuart he was quitting the club to move to England to be with his UK-based girlfriend and had no intentions of playing football.

But just hours before the meeting, Albert told teammates he was planning to join the Giants in 2007.

An irate Sharks chief executive officer Greg Pierce last night said the Sharks would blackball Albert from playing in the UK.

The move could leave Albert in a similar position to that which Jamie Lyon found himself in when he quit the Eels in 2004, with Lyon eventually turning out for Group 4 bush side Wee Waa.

"We will stop (Albert) playing in the UK," said Pierce. "He doesn't have a release from us so he won't be playing.

"I can give him a release but put conditions on where he won't be able to play - like in the NRL or the English Super League in season 2007.

"He can go over there and play second division if he wants, but he can't play in the Super League.

"If I gave him a clearance to play over there there would be nothing from stopping him coming back to play in the NRL.

"I like Darren but he told us he wasn't playing two months before kickoff.

"If he would have come to us in September and said he was going, we might have looked at it differently.

"We might have had a chance to pick up someone else then."

Albert has been avoiding the media but coach Ricky Stuart said he was disappointed with the wing flyer's shock resignation.

"It will be very difficult for him to play in Huddersfield because he is not going to get a release," Stuart said.

"I would have liked to have known about his departure before this.

"He didn't hint it to me or anyone else in the club, but it didn't seem to surprise the players. They knew something we didn't."

Stuart said he would fill the void left by Albert's departure with a player from within his squad.

"It is very late in the season and there are not a lot of players available," he said.

"We will use the money wisely and it doesn't need to be spent. We lose experience and pace with Albert leaving, but it does create an opportunity for a young player to grab a first-grade spot.

"At the end of the day it won't be a big loss to the side because someone else will come through."

Albert is expected to depart for the UK early next week. He spent time in England with his girlfriend before the pre-season and asked her to move to Australia with him.

FOXSPORTS.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Dog act from Albert and I'm glad to see my club won't be letting him get away with it so easily. Like Ricky said, its no big loss as it gives a great opportunity for a young fella to come through. I have mixed feelings about the fact some other players seemed to know though and kept it quiet. Shows loyalty amoung players, but not much toward the club as a whole. However I doubt it was an entire squad knowing Albert's intentions, probably more like a handful of blokes who he'd said a couple things about a possible return to the UK to.

Albert tells: No drama, I've just fallen out of love with footy
    Adrian Proszenko
    January 21, 2007

DARREN Albert has broken his silence about his controversial exit from the Sharks, revealing he'll pursue overseas business opportunities after losing his passion for league.

Albert stunned club officials 12 days ago when he told them he wouldn't fulfil the final year of his contract, citing personal reasons.

It was believed a love interest was the primary reason behind his shock decision to return to Britain, but the former NSW winger said he had "just had enough" after 11 seasons of top-grade football.

"During the year I just had enough of playing footy," he said.

"I enjoyed being around the boys and having a good time, but I've just had enough. I've been in first grade for long enough and I just don't want to do that any more.

"I've been given opportunities overseas so I'm moving on."

The 30-year-old said he had felt awkward breaking the news to Sharks CEO Greg Pierce and coach Ricky Stuart so close to the start of the new season.

"I felt bad for the club to leave at this time," he said. "It was something I didn't realise beforehand. I thought I'd see how pre-season went, but I didn't feel I could go on.

"Footy has been a big part of my life but I've got a lot of it to go and I'm ready to move on."

Albert, who will be best remembered for scoring the match-winning try for Newcastle in the 1997 ARL grand final against Manly, said he had wrestled with his decision for more than a year.

"I wanted to retire but I thought, 'It's one more year to go, just get through pre-season'," he said.

Asked if he had fallen out with club officials, Albert said: "No, it's nothing like that. I want to stress that point.

"We went out for a beer last Friday for a farewell drink so there's nothing wrong there.

"I've really liked being in Cronulla. It's a great side, they've got a lot of young kids coming through, a lot of promise and it should be a good season from them."

The Sharks have had a heavy turnover of players in the off-season, losing Phil Bailey, Hutch Maiava, Beau Scott, Matt Hilder, James Stosic, Nigel Vagana and Darren Mapp.

Michael Sullivan and Chris Beattie are other recent stars who failed to fulfil their contracts, and Tevita Latu was sacked for disciplinary reasons.

The Sharks management have blocked Albert from playing league for the rest of his contract, but he said he had no intention of playing again, despite having been linked with English club Huddersfield.

He played 124 games for St Helens between 2002-2005 before returning to the NRL last year.

"I've got a few things lined up in the UK," he said.

"I've loved my time in rugby league and have loved my time in the NRL.

My life is taking me elsewhere and that's just the way it is."

Source: The Sun-Herald

The Sharks have had a heavy turnover of players in the off-season, losing Phil Bailey, Hutch Maiava, Beau Scott, Matt Hilder, James Stosic, Nigel Vagana and Darren Mapp.
    Apart from Bailey and Hilder, the rest will not be missed. Stosic and Maiava both did good for us, but the forwards are well stocked and they're more than replaceable. Scott has a near terminal case of butter fingers and Vagana and Mapp could probably go down as the two biggest wastes of money to pull on a Sharks jersey.