Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk
    No, he only signed a letter of intent.....the titans said they had signed him tho. Well atleast the articles did.
    According to the Herald Sun he didn't even sign a letter of intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingytek
    Here is the full article from the above link:

Steve turns on Titans
    Karl deKroo
    August 16, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Storm winger Steve Turner performed a stunning about-face last night, turning his back on the Gold Coast Titans to remain with Melbourne for the next three years.

Turner, 21, was unveiled in June as a key signing for the new Titans franchise which enters the NRL in 2007.

Incredibly, the former junior Kangaroos representative was never asked to sign a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast and he has had a change of heart.

"Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today.

"We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem."

The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said.

"I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either.

"I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons.

"From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle could not be contacted last night.

Waldron said he could understand the Titans' position, but said they had only themselves to blame.

"If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said.

"But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club.

"We were in a similar position when we thought we had signed (Parramatta prop) Fuifui Moimoi a year ago.

"We thought he was coming here but there was a problem with his manager. It became clear he wanted to stay with Parramatta and we decided it was fair and reasonable."

A Penrith junior, Turner was signed by Storm in 2003 as a replacement for foundation fullback Robbie Ross.

He battled injury in his first two seasons and Billy Slater and Greg Inglis surpassed him in the fullbacks' pecking order.

Used this season as a winger, Turner has proven a sensation, starting all 21 games and scoring 13 tries.

"I feel like I am playing the best footy of my career," Turner said.

"I have probably adapted to the wing better than most people expected.

"I am really enjoying playing out there and I realise that playing fullback isn't my priority any more."

The Titans have signed Storm hooker Nathan Friend and centre Jake Webster for next season. Turner had been expected to be their first-choice fullback ahead of British rep player Richie Mathers.

The Hearld Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    I am not understanding any of this. I thought he signed with this
    I am trying to get a grasp of it myself.... from what I am reading, a letter of intent is a non-official agreement between two groups over a certain issue. It seems numerous people sign letters of intent in Rugby League, Adam Mogg did for Les Catalans, Wendell Sailor did when he first joined the ARU.

It sounds like they are signed when the offer is confirmed, but there are finalisations that need to take place, however normally it seems clubs sign the contracts soon after as a Letter of Intent is NOT A CONTRACT and has no binding power what so ever.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    I am trying to get a grasp of it myself.... from what I am reading, a letter of intent is a non-official agreement between two groups over a certain issue. It seems numerous people sign letters of intent in Rugby League, Adam Mogg did for Les Catalans, Wendell Sailor did when he first joined the ARU.

It sounds like they are signed when the offer is confirmed, but there are finalisations that need to take place, however normally it seems clubs sign the contracts soon after as a Letter of Intent is NOT A CONTRACT and has no binding power what so ever.
    As mentioned above the Herald Sun suggests no letter of intent was signed.

Quote Originally Posted by mb63
    As mentioned above the Herald Sun suggests no letter of intent was signed.
    Ah ok, sorry I read the article this morning in the Telegraph where it talks about a Letter of Intent... if there was no letter of intent signed, that is even more of a mistake.

There is a need to sign players to something to ensure they have some liability to a club if they decided to leave the club after agreeing to play for a club IMO.

i still cant believe it what a blunder i hope the rest of the 24 is signed we need to find out the truth maybe Deegan can enlighten us

I simply cannot believe it!!

Someone at the Titans needs to be held accountable for this monumental stuff-up. If they think it is OK to recruit players in a professional game without stitching them up on paper, they must be from another world.
    As a previous thread asked....how many more of these unsigned arrangements exist?

It simply smacks of an unprofessional approach and there had better be good learnings from it.

This happens every year- Shane Elford, now Steve Turner.

While there is no denying Turner's talent, I think we are better off without a player who can't stick with a decision. Mark my words, he will come to regret this one day. We can always replace him with Nick Parfitt.

But that's a wonder blunder by the management.
    Last edited by Crushers; 16-08-06 at 12:37 PM.

Titans fume over Turner contract dispute
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:54 PM

Melbourne is "tickled pink" Steve Turner has re-signed with the NRL competition leader but the Gold Coast Titans are furious after hailing the in-form winger as a key buy for the new franchise.

The Titans trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19 but the 21-year-old had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm until the end of 2009.

Melbourne football manager Peter O'Sullivan said Turner had never signed a contract or letter of intent with the Titans, who claim the former Penrith player has broken an agreement to join the club.

"Steve came to us on his own accord and said he hadn't signed anything (with the Titans) and wanted to stay at Melbourne," O'Sullivan told AAP.

"We were only too happy to keep him."

Titans managing director Michael Searle was to meet with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case.

"It's come to light overnight that Steve Turner may have entered into an agreement to play the next three years with the Storm," Searle told reporters on the Gold Coast.

"That's contrary to the agreement that he has with our organisation and whilst deeply disappointing, we intend to resolve this matter in coming days.

"What I want to reaffirm is that there's no doubt Steve Turner made a commitment to this organisation to play football here for the next three years and we'll be working with the National Rugby League to ensure our rights are protected.

"Other than that we'll be making further comment tomorrow and we'll be putting out a release tomorrow. At this stage that's all I can say."

The contractual dispute overshadowed the announcement that Gold Coast business ABC Brick Sales will be the club's sleeve sponsor for the next three years.

Stuck behind Queensland Origin stars Billy Slater and Greg Inglis as a fullback at the Storm, Turner has found a new lease of life on the wing where he's scored 10 tries from 19 games this season.

"We're thrilled to bits," O'Sullivan said about Turner re-signing with the high-flying club. "We never wanted to lose him in the first place.

"We're tickled pink to have him on board again. He's a great person and he wants to be part of our organisation.

"He's playing on the wing and he can see himself playing rep footy there."

Source: AAP

Quote Originally Posted by maroon man
    I simply cannot believe it!!

Someone at the Titans needs to be held accountable for this monumental stuff-up.
    It may be best to hold back a bit until the whole story is out . So far we have the News Ltd/Storm version. I doubt it is as one sided as they are saying.

On the bright side maybe it will leave the door open for a young academy player to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by News article
    Titans managing director Michael Searle was to meet with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case.

"It's come to light overnight that Steve Turner may have entered into an agreement to play the next three years with the Storm," Searle told reporters on the Gold Coast.

"That's contrary to the agreement that he has with our organisation and whilst deeply disappointing, we intend to resolve this matter in coming days.

"What I want to reaffirm is that there's no doubt Steve Turner made a commitment to this organisation to play football here for the next three years and we'll be working with the National Rugby League to ensure our rights are protected.

"Other than that we'll be making further comment tomorrow and we'll be putting out a release tomorrow. At this stage that's all I can say."
    I hope this doesnt turn into a court battle. That is something this club doesnt need coming into their first season.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    I hope this doesnt turn into a court battle. That is something this club doesnt need coming into their first season.

I hope not either... its the last thing the team needs after all the very strong and great work done so far... but something tells me, if what is being said by the media is true, then there is no chance of winning on legal grounds... On Macquarie News Network at 2pm when I was outside they said that the contract was a verbal one.

Now if that is true, it ain't good, but something tells me considering the latest info into this from the Titans, I suggest something is missing from the media statements... just doesn't add up to a media person like me to issue something like the release without there being more to the story... stay tuned...

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

MMMMMMMMMM. Read that this morning in the Daily Telegraph. Will wait for the outcome before passing judgement.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    On Macquarie News Network at 2pm when I was outside they said that the contract was a verbal one.
    This will make a few ppl wonder, if at all, how many contracts with players are "verbal?" Hopefully there's no more for the clubs sake.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!