Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Just in case my post was missed:

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Do you want Gold Coast Titan fans to beg and plead for your support? Get over yourself.

All the time and effort you put in to building your case against Steve Turner and the Melbourne Storm to now revert to a pro-Turner/Storm stance only makes you look the fool in this whole episode. Our Storm fans on this forum will enjoy the laugh.

An observation on my part is enough to see you change your opinion

I will change my stance too - you're not a "fishermen", you're simply craving attention

I like I imagine most will choose to skim over any future post which will lack any credibility what-so-ever.
    I am guilty as charged for giving an opinion on a member who loves to constantly repeat his or herself :lol!:

Again members, remember, whether it be the traditional "fishermen" or simply an attention seeker, just ignore him or her if you don't care for what he or she has to say

A reminder is here
    Last edited by DeeGan; 21-12-06 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Q Dave
    Thats your opinion, thats fine. I note the alluded swearing.

Mr DeeGan ambushed me for no reason, not only that, his points in so doing were weak, no, they were quite wrong.

He should apologise for his pre-emptive strike on a Titans supporter or at least retract what he said.

Until then, failing any other contingency, so long as I am allowed, I will put the Storm's arguments fairly.
    So you abandon arguing something you have seemed to feel so passionately about, and start defending the opposition in this mess, just because someone made a pre-emptive strike on you? Seems a bit much if you ask me. You didn't let the opinions of many other members on this forum change your position, which I thought was great, but someone says some stuff about you repeating yourself and you go and react like this? Really seems like a silly thing to do IMO.

Anyways, no matter what your new stance in the argument is, lets all (well, most of us} agree on the facts

- Steve Turner won't be coming to the Titans, he will either be at the Storm or on the sidelines
    - The Titans aren't going to let Turner get away with leaving them in the cold like this, and rightly so
    - The Storm are being arrogant and trying to act like the innocent party in this situation, even though they are mainly to blame

CASE CLOSED UNTIL MORE NEWS COMES TO HAND

Spot on Steelers...

The Following thread has run it's course and is Closed until any new information comes to hand at which it will be re-opened. DO NOT post any new Turner threads, as they will be either merged here or deleted. Mods will post new articles in this thread as they come to hand.

*Thread Closed*

Default Turner Sick Of Situation

Turner sick of situation

Peter Badel

January 06, 2007 11:00pm
    Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

STEVE Turner has implored the warring Gold Coast and Melbourne clubs to find a resolution, admitting the bitter and protracted fight for his services is sending him broke.

With the 2007 season kick-off just nine weeks away, Turner says he is "sick" of the dispute and "devastated" at the prospect of being sidelined for at least 12 months.

The winger has resorted to training alone in a Melbourne gym as the Gold Coast and Storm attempt to thrash out an agreement that would allow Turner to remain with last year's grand finalists.

The fiasco has now spanned 145 days.

Turner revealed he has not seen a cent from either party in the past two months, despite reports the Titans were paying the winger a salary, minus deductions for every training session he missed.

"Apparently I've been getting payments from the Gold Coast but I haven't got any payment from anyone.

"I'm living on what I've saved up," said Turner, who returned to Melbourne on Wednesday after holidaying on the Sunshine Coast.

"I've gone a couple of months without pay so I'm living off my savings, but I've spent a fair bit already and I can't live off my savings forever. It's been tough.

"To be honest, I'm sick of the whole thing but the fact is I've put myself in this situation.

"The hardest thing is the uncertainty. I still don't know where I stand and I just wish the clubs would come to some agreement that would allow me to stay where I am."

The 22-year-old was a notable absentee when Melbourne players returned to Princes Park for training on Thursday.

Instead, Turner outlays up to $50 a week working out in solitude in a suburban gym, hopeful he will be cleared to play in the Storm's season opener at Olympic Park against Wests Tigers on Friday, March 16.

"It's $10 a visit and I've been going five days a week, so it's getting expensive," he said.

"I don't mind training on my own, but, ideally, it's not what I want. I miss the team environment and you feel like a bit of an outcast when you know the guys are back training and you're doing your own stuff in a private gym.

"At this stage, I'm assuming I'll play in the NRL this season.

"I don't even want to think about the legal side of things.

"I'm sure nobody, not the clubs or the NRL, want to go down that path. I just want to play football again."

At the height of the saga in October, it was suggested Turner wanted to remain in Melbourne due to personal issues relating to his partner Kate.

But Turner said: "That's not an issue at all.

"Kate's happy to do what I want to do. She's handled it really well. There was never a hint of her keeping me here, she has said she'll support whatever decision I make."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has held fresh talks with NRL boss David Gallop in the past week.

But the NRL, which is refusing to register Turner's Melbourne contract, is unlikely to alter its stance.

Turner's agent David Riolo will meet with Titans managing director Michael Searle tomorrow.

"The only way this can be resolved is between the two clubs," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"Our position is quite clear.

"While there is a dispute, we have no intention of registering his contract with the Storm."

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Searle slams Storm in Turner saga
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 4:39 PM

Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle has accused Melbourne counterpart Brian Waldron of failing to take his share of responsibility for the messy Steve Turner saga.

With the NRL season just two months away, the bitter tug-of-war between the clubs over Turner's services is no closer to being resolved.

Waldron has washed his hands of the matter, telling AAP: "It's a matter for discussion between Steve's manager (David Riolo) and the Titans.

"It's got nothing to do with Melbourne."

But Titans managing director Searle said a speedy resolution would be extremely difficult without the full co-operation of Waldron.

The Storm chief executive has already rejected a proposal to provide two contracted junior players and financial compensation to Gold Coast in return for Turner being released from his three year agreement with the Titans.

"We're the ones trying to drive a resolution but Melbourne is just saying they don't need to compensate us," Searle said.

"We'd set a horrible precedent for our game if we release a player on the basis he has changed his mind."

Turner, who recently told a News Ltd Sunday newspaper the saga was sending him broke, is still being paid by the Titans but has been fined $1,000 for every training session missed.

"No-one wants to see someone hurt financially but it can be resolved very quickly," Searle said.

"It needs to be resolved with the input of Melbourne and Steve Turner."

The long-running battle is constantly taking the gloss off the Titans' inaugural season set to start against St George Illawarra in Brisbane on March 18.

In further bad news, winger Matt Petersen suffered a knee injury while performing a defensive drill during an open training session at Pizzey Park, home of the Burleigh Bears.

The players later signed autographs for about 1,000 fans who turned up in the rain but Petersen went straight to see the club doctor.

The former Parramatta flyer was later sent for an MRI scan but may not know the extent of the damage until Wednesday.

It's a bitter blow to Petersen's hopes of earning a first grade spot, with a trial against the Storm in Coffs Harbour to be played on February 17.

Source: AAP

Searle lays blame with Storm
    By Dan Koch
    January 10, 2007

GOLD Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle says Melbourne has left wing Steve Turner "high and dry" by refusing to discuss a deal that will see the youngster stay at Storm.

There is no apparent end in sight to the protracted stand-off between the clubs, which began when Turner attempted to back out of a deal with the Titans by signing an extension to his contract with Melbourne in August last year.

Having originally threatened to make Turner sit out the next three seasons, Searle offered an olive branch to Storm chief executive Brian Waldron, to allow Turner to remain with the 2006 runner-up in exchange for junior stars Kevin Proctor and Smith Samau.

Waldron dismissed the proposal and has refused to entertain any sort of compromise, despite a plea from Turner, who is not being paid by either club, to resolve the dispute.

Searle said Turner had "come to the party" by offering to pay the difference between the two contracts as compensation to the new NRL team, but he claimed Storm was refusing to even meet on the issue.

"There is an offer on the table we believe is very fair in regards to a player exchange and Steve Turner has even offered to pay some compensation out of his own hip pocket, which shows he is willing to work on this," Searle said.

"But it seems Melbourne won't even engage in a discussion, which means Steve is left in no-man's land.

"From our point of view, we are an unwitting participant in all this from the start but we have agreed to come to the table to try to sort it out.

"If Melbourne don't do the wrong thing in the first place by putting a contract in front of Steve back in August, none of us are here.

"But they did and now they are refusing to help find a solution."

The Australian

Turner may miss season
    By Mark Hayes
    January 12, 2007 STEVE Turner appears increasingly likely to sit out the 2007 NRL season, with Gold Coast saying its long-running battle with Melbourne had become a matter of principle.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle yesterday maintained that Melbourne must compensate the new franchise in order to release the wing back to Storm, or the player would be left stranded.

"Unless a commercial arrangement can be reached between us and the Storm, that's a very real possibility," Searle said last night.

"No one wants that to happen, but I don't think it's unreasonable for us, as the aggrieved party, to expect compensation."

Turner agreed a three-year deal with Gold Coast in June, but he didn't sign a contract. By August, he had cold feet as his season and desire to stay in Melbourne blossomed.

The NRL sided with the Titans in the tug-of-war, and refused to register Turner's Storm contract.

Searle said the Titans had put several options before Melbourne, but each had been dismissed. He has also offered Turner a release to play at any club other than Melbourne.

Turner, through his manager David Riolo, is understood to have offered a cash payout to the Titans in a bid to be released from his deal.

But Searle said it was not about the money, rather a commercial principle.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron refused to comment on the battle, dismissing it as "a matter between Steve Turner, his manager and the Titans".

Riolo would only say he was awaiting a response from Searle on his latest proposal.

Some Opinons about The Turner fiasco
    Mick Daly
    January 10, 2007 11:00pm

SHOULD the Gold Coast Titans release Steve Turner from his three-year agreement with the club and allow him to play for Melbourne Storm, or should they continue to hold their ground?

GARY FREEMAN
    Former New Zealand Test captain and Fox Sports commentator

"My personal opinion is I think it has been dragging on too long. In the end, if the kid doesn't want to play on the Gold Coast, why make him? I know he agreed to a deal, and the Titans are entitled to stand their ground, but really, you want a player to actually want to play for you. In the long run, it's going to be better for the Titans if they just let him go. I remember when Ruben Wiki signed with both Canberra and Auckland for 1995, he threatened to sit out the season if forced to play with the Warriors. The two clubs eventually sat down and found a resolution, and Ruben stayed with the Raiders. It's like anything in business ? if you're not happy somewhere, there's no use you being there. You should just play where your heart desires. I really don't know what the rules and regulations are of Steve's deal, but I do understand how hard it would be to leave a side when they've made the grand final. If he does have to go to the Titans, he might find it hard initially but they have an excellent coaching regime and they would accept him into the fold."

GREG DOWLING
    Former Australian and Queensland Origin prop

"One thing's for sure and that's that this whole saga is not doing the image of the game any good. No one who cares about the game wants to be reading about it in the papers. It's not good for the NRL, the clubs or Steve Turner. The parties just need to sit around a table and not leave until a resolution is reached. Surely they can come up with something. If Steve has to sit out the next three seasons, it's not going to do his career any good. He's fighting this just to spite his face. He's doing himself no favours. And he doesn't really have any grounds to fight on. He gave his word to the Titans and you should go by your word. The Titans have every right to hold their ground. I see Steve is complaining it's costing him money but I've got no sympathy for him. If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear he's signed with the Storm for more money and that's what it comes down to. If he is allowed to renege on his agreement with the Titans, it will be bad for the game."

GARY BELCHER
    Former Australian and Queensland Origin fullback

"The Titans should stick to their guns. I was a bit shocked when I read in the paper that he was complaining about the whole thing costing him money. The reality is, Steve made a rod for his own back. He agreed to a deal with the Titans and that's that. I don't think the contract he signed with Melbourne or his feelings about wanting to play there should come into the equation. Steve wholeheartedly agreed to join the Titans and if they let him go, it sets a bad precedent. (Titans managing director) Michael Searle has repeatedly said it is a whole of game issue and it really is. I can't see how they could release him on compassionate grounds. It's clear he's just changed his mind. Hopefully the NRL continue to support the Titans. If it was me, I would accept the fact I made a deal and honour it."

MICK ENNIS
    Brisbane Broncos hooker

"I don't the specific ins and outs of Steve's situation, but obviously you read the papers and you form opinions. If Steve's got family issues, or needs to stay in Melbourne for genuine reasons, then hopefully the clubs can come to a suitable agreement. But if it just comes down to him signing a contract with the Titans, then turning around and changing his mind, it's a whole different story. I think if he is allowed to play for Melbourne, it just opens up the possibility for everyone to do it. I realise it would be hard to leave a club when you've played in a grand final and bonded closely with your teammates, but that's life. Even though it could set a precedent, I don't think too many players will go down Steve's path. Despite what people say, there's still a lot of loyalty in the game."

ROSS LIVERMORE
    Queensland Rugby League managing director

"The Titans should continue to hold their ground. Steve and his manager agreed for him to play there, and you've got to honour that. Steve wants the best of both worlds, but he can't have it. It was wrong of Melbourne to make him another offer. If a situation like this arose in the Queensland Cup, we would rule exactly as the NRL has. Otherwise why have contracts? Gorden Tallis sat out the 1996 season for St George because he wanted a release to play for Brisbane. He paid a big price that season because St George made it through to the grand final. Now, I think he should have honoured his contract with St George, but at least he had the courage to do what he believed in. If Steve is going to continue to dig his heels in, he needs to accept the fact he will probably sit the next three seasons on the sideline. He shouldn't make a song and dance about it ? he created this situation. I can understand that if he doesn't want to be there, he shouldn't be made to. But if everyone adopted that attitude we'd have players signing contracts everywhere and then just picking the best one for themselves."

Article from: The Courier-Mail

Sharks join Turner race

By Rebecca Wilson and Phillip Heads

THE Steve Turner saga has taken a dramatic twist, with the Cronulla Sharks now firmly in the mix to make a last-minute grab for the winger.

We can reveal that Gold Coast Titans insiders have confirmed they offered Turner to the Sharks as a replacement for Darren Albert - and that Turner sees the Sharks option as a strong possibility.

NRL boss David Gallop confirmed on Friday the Sharks would like to sign Turner, and that he would not stand in his way.

"If he is happy about it and the Titans are happy, then we would approve the move,'' Gallop said.

Titans boss Michael Searle says he contacted Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce late last week.

"I knew they were struggling to find a suitable replacement for Darren Albert so close to the season kick-off,'' Searle said.

"If we can reach a commercial settlement with the Sharks, we would be happy to see Turner go to that club. We are very, very keen to see an end to this impasse.''

Melbourne remain determined to hold on to Turner, even though he gave the Gold Coast a verbal and written commitment that he would move to the Titans for the start of the season.

Storm boss Brian Waldron is refusing to budge on Turner and has offered two Storm juniors to the Gold Coast as a trade.

Waldron refuses to acknowledge that he is liable to pay the Titans compensation for Turner. Even former Storm boss John Ribot has made several deputations to the NRL on the Storm's behalf.

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart confirmed the Gold Coast had made an approach. "We are very interested if Steve is, because he would fill the gap left by Darren Albert,'' Stuart said.

Turner's manager David Riolo said the Sharks were an option.

"But none of this takes away from the fact that from day one Steve Turner has wanted to remain in Melbourne, and that is the heart of the matter. The Shire is a fair way from Olympic Park.''

Daily Telegraph

Thread re-opened.

Keep in mind we will close it if: the threads gets out of hand or we feel the thread has gone far enough...

This is an interesting decision... one I am sure will anger the Melbourne fans and not one I am entirely a big fan of.

I like the idea of the GC helping out Cronulla and helping Turner get his career back on track in some way, and offering him another option, but it does to an extent seem like a going back on the idea of keeping Turner no matter what, and will make the club look like they have taken the easy way out, which it is not, but for those who already think that, this will just give them more ammunition.

In all honesty though, this is Melbourne's fault.. they could have had Turner by now if they had given us the 2 juniors and this could all be over, but Waldron's been trying to get the cake and cherry too and now he could lose it all...

I'm surprised the NRL are happy to have this war between Melbourne and GC continue by stating that they are happy to have Turner sign with the Sharks... I guess for them it's a case of a player of quality getting to play.

Whether Turner will want this will be very interesting, because if he does go to the Sharks, he will not only be disliked by GC fans who will feel robbed, but also by Melbourne fans who he has said he wanted to play for.

The next move is Steve's, and will tell a lot about this saga... be interesting to see what he and Riolo do....

surely there would be some sort of a trade agreement with the Sharks similar to the one attempted with Melbourne.

What deal has gone on under the table for this to happen? Titans are releasing Turner to the Sharks for what in return, just money? I thought this was now a matter of principal.

Cronulla gets Turner...
    Turner gets to play NRL next year...
    What else do the Titans get?

*EDIT* Who cares about Melbourne, they had their chance......
    Last edited by Ryan; 14-01-07 at 02:10 PM.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

This situation is what the Titans didnt need or deserve coming into their first season.
    Hopefully it will be done and dusted soon .

WTF!?! Where did this come from? If he's willing to play for the Sharks, why not the Gold Coast? Neither of them are Melbourne, where he wants to be.

Not that I'm complaining. Regardless of anything Turner is a quality player and will be more than a replacement for Albert, as he's got the wood on Albert by miles. He'll probably get a good crack at his preferred fullback spot at Cronulla too with David Simmons not really having secured the role in my opinion.

Kudos to Michael Searle too, from a Sharks fan point of view. However I dunno why the hell he'd care about the Sharks struggling to find a replacement for Albert at this late date, his main concern should be the Titans and Titans only. Like others have said, I'd like to know whats in this for the GC, surely not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

This is all Ricky Stuart's influence if you ask me. There is no way the Sharks administration could have pulled off something like this in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo