Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Truly over the whole Turner saga :')

Let's swap and move on.

Though Melbourne will be careful not to give up a rising champ

& Titans will be careful not end up with no hope chump.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. :fence:

Junior Titan

Well there's the flip from Melbourne already. Warney would be proud of that one.

As soon as cold hard, peace loving, law-abiding, cashish is mentioned, the Storm resile from the good news, put the air conditioner on and are at pains to emphasize that the parties are further apart than reported.

Meanwhile over at Storm training:

Bellamy: "I am looking for a few volunteers, a couple of good men who think that the glory of our club is more important than living here in dreary Melbourne. Players who can arise above... You, the boy Slater, sit down son, you aint going nowhere." No Inglis, youre staying too..damn it is anybody still sitting down? No Turner, not you either !!"

Nope, its back to square one folks and all of the indications are that his dispute is only going to get a lot worse.

The only good news is that Riolo has taken a holiday. Lets hope its an long way but not in South America.

Searly, you just cant talk to these people, I told you so earlier in this thread.

Waldon's recent comments appear to represent a slight on the Titans as they differ in tone and tenet from Searle's words of conviction.

Dont stand for it Searly, I remember your words of courage: "financial solution." We were proud of that, I was anyway!

Dont go soft on us now. Straight up the middle son, dont you sidestep!

I SAY NO DEAL FOR SAD STEVE.

LIBERATE THE NRL FROM THE TURNER INSURGENCY!

This is not just about Steve Turner, its a battle for the integrity of the game itself!
    Last edited by Q Dave; 01-12-06 at 09:23 PM.

Titan First Grade Regular

Post of the Year!! :win: :win: :win:
    [

Junior Titan

Well it's good to see that Mr Searle has done a backflip from his previous comments that 'Steve Turner would not be released under any circumstances'.

The wheels are turning, but eventually it looks like Steve will be staying with us.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Quote Originally Posted by philstorm
    Well it's good to see that Mr Searle has done a backflip from his previous comments that 'Steve Turner would not be released under any circumstances'.

The wheels are turning, but eventually it looks like Steve will be staying with us.
    Is that a good thing you are going to loose two players of steves calibre, When you look at the picture this is not a good deal for the storm but for the Titans.

If i was a storm supporter id be hoping steve stays with the Titans.

Titan First Grade Regular

^ yep :lol!:
    [

QLD Cup Titan

Unfortunately this matter still may have a way to go to be sorted out.Waldron insisted on radio this morning no players would be released to the Titans as part of the Turner deal.Reading between the lines it sounds like a cash settlement will be offered only.

NRL battle over Turner to continue
    Friday, December 1, 2006 - 3:39 PM

The tug-of-war over Melbourne winger Steve Turner looks set to continue after Storm chief executive Brian Waldron denied reports a player swap had been struck with the Gold Coast Titans.

Waldron met with Titans managing director Michael Searle on Thursday and several reports have surfaced since claiming they had agreed a swap that would allow Turner to remain in Melbourne if the Storm provided the Titans with a player of similar ability.

But Waldron slammed the reports, saying people were "jumping the gun".

"No-one from Melbourne Storm has mentioned anything about swapping any players and when we've got something to say on the matter, we'll say it publicly," Waldron said.

"All I've said is I'm very happy to work with Michael Searle to try to alleviate the stress of the situation off Steve Turner and everyone else.

"All that came out of the meeting is that we'd have to continue to work together.

"We've both got ideas, we've just got to come to a common idea."

Turner agreed to join the Gold Coast for three years earlier this year but had a change of heart and re-signed with Melbourne.

Despite this Waldron says he doesn't believe the Titans should be owed compensation if Turner was to stay with the Storm.

"For what?" Waldron asked.

"People need to understand the rules, he hasn't signed a contract, he never signed a thing.

"His manager indicated to (the Titans) that he'd go and Steve changed his mind."

But Searle said on Thursday there was a legally-binding agreement and the NRL previously indicated its believes Turner should honour his agreement with the Gold Coast.

"From our point of view it's still very much he's got an agreement with us," Searle said.

"If we do come to a settlement between Melbourne and us then he'll play in Melbourne, but if we don't come to a settlement he's got a decision to make if he comes to play for the Gold Coast or sits out the next three years."

Searle said Turner had received his first pay cheque from the club this week, minus fines for missing training.

"He's only been fined for the last three days, but those fines will be ongoing now. So he's got his first payment, less a couple of thousand dollars."

An end to the Saga seems no closer despite Thursday's meeting, with Waldron saying the Storm would take no immediate action.

"There is no next step and no timeline, we'll sit and wait like we have said for a number of weeks and work through things slowly," he said.

"David Riolo (Turner's manager) is away for the next ten days so unfortunately there may not be a (solution) until he returns."

Source: AAP

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    Is that a good thing you are going to loose two players of steves calibre
    Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    But Waldron slammed the reports, saying people were "jumping the gun".

"No-one from Melbourne Storm has mentioned anything about swapping any players ..." Waldron said."

Junior Titan

Its still game-on viewers.

Melbourne left their walletts and rising stars in bleak city.

You just cant deal with rogue clubs.

It seems that one can have a more meaningful discussion with North Korea

It appears only one CEO was having a meaningful discussion last night, the other had a fork firmly wedged in his tongue.

The Titans dont need a Melbourne lucky dip of premier leaguers. Nup. They dont need a coupla spare dollars either.

They need Steve.

So lets get Steve-focused again.

With no 'settlement' on the horizon, its time for the Titans to settle the account.

Three years is long enough to launch an acting career or to start a band and release an album. He could even complete a qualification that could help him after his footy has finished. A lot of players miss out on this.

He could bulk up pretty considerably too I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Q Dave; 02-12-06 at 02:21 AM.

Junior Titan

Enough with the 'Rogue Club' nonsense that you've been spouting around the place over the last few days, Q Dave. I find it funny that despite your accusations, you still are not 'man' enough to label your own club to the wider community.

Despite your claims to rid the competition of the 'Rogue Club', why not rid the competition of a team that has been consistently (to be it bluntly), crap over the past 15 years. How about we rid the competition of such a team which devalues the rest of the competition and ensures each team looks forward to the Bye they face once, if they are lucky, twice a season.

I am, ofcourse, talking about the Rabbitohs.

But you're right, let's get Steve-focussed again. It is rather funny to hear comments about a 'forked tongued CEO' (who funnily enough still hasn't made a step wrong since he came into the job). Yes, he went into discussions yesterday where no such comments were made about a player 'swap' nor financial retribution to the Titans.

Instead, Michael Searle decides to release this to the media yet accuses Mr Waldron of jumping the gun and speaking to the media two weeks earlier.

Strange how these CEO's work.

As the matter stands currently, Mr Waldron is doing a terrific job in sticking by his guns and ensuring that Steve, a Storm contracted player, gets his wish to stay with the club despite not physically signing anything else with any other club.

May I ask then why now Mr Searle has backed down from his original claims (and I dont speak verbatim), that 'Steve will not be released from the Titans under no circumstances' - a comment he made 5-6 weeks ago?

The wheels are in motion - the best both sides can hope for now is hope for a somewhat amiable conclusion to the matter without a rift being created indefinitely between the two clubs forever.

May I ask then why now Mr Searle has backed down from his original claims (and I dont speak verbatim), that 'Steve will not be released from the Titans under no circumstances' - a comment he made 5-6 weeks ago?
    Backdown? Depends how you look at it. I see it as for the second time looking to find a middle ground to end this nonsense by taking the higher ground here?

No one has been released yet and as it turns out Waldron is not a willing participant in this "swap" as it turns out according to the morning papers - we look like heading to the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by SMH
    MELBOURNE chief executive Brian Waldron insists his club will not offer financial compensation for winger Steve Turner, nor agree to a player swap, but concedes his early bullish approach to negotiations with the Gold Coast Titans jeopardised a deal.

Waldron and Titans managing director Michael Searle had coffee together during the NRL chief executives' conference this week, effectively opening dialogue.

"In retrospect, some of our early press releases accusing the Titans of being unprofessional were too strong," Waldron said.

The outspoken former AFL club chief executive antagonised Searle, who was keen to demonstrate that the new kid on the block would not be bullied.

The tug of war for the playing services of Turner developed into an ego battle between the two club chief executives.

Now, however, a deal appears possible with experienced winger/fullback Chris Walker trialling for a contract and reports versatile Wallaby Mat Rogers is keen to play with the Titans a year ahead of his 2008 agreement. However, Waldron maintains the Storm would not agree to financial compensation or a player swap.

Told that Turner was so desperate to remain in Melbourne that he would sacrifice his contract to allow the the Titans to buy another fullback, Waldron said: "He can give compensation but not us."

Searle said this would be an unsatisfactory outcome but conceded the circumstances for a deal now existed.

"The replacement of playing talent is important for us, especially from a depth point of view," Searle said.

Asked whether the presence of Walker and Rogers changed the Titans' expectation of compensation, Searle said, "Per se, they did not come from Melbourne. There is an onus on the Storm to sacrifice some playing strength."
    If we head to the courts, as per David Gallop in this article:http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/tu...22.html?page=2

"While Gallop acknowledges that a similar act of clemency would save Turner, he points to evidence which won't look good in court - the Gold Coast flying him to Coolangatta on June 29 to view possible accommodation and a 2KY interview on August 18 in which he confirmed he was playing with the Titans.

Gallop says: "I wonder how the Storm will overcome in court Riolo's email to [NRL salary cap executive] Ian Schubert which reads, 'I am steadfast in the belief that a deal was agreed to in my mind with the Titans in June. I could not in good conscience deny an agreement was made'."

Going off what we are reading, I can this mess ending up in court sadly. Unfortunate, perhaps unavoidable if Waldron is not willing to look at player swap or compensation for Steve Turner.

:topic: ...

Let's remember that each fan has his/her right to side one way of the other. Let's all keep that in mind

p.s. Show me the NRL registered contract whereby Steve Turner is a Melbourne Storm player as of right now
    Last edited by DeeGan; 02-12-06 at 09:20 AM.

Titan One Clubman

Why on Earth are the Storm so unwilling to give any financial compensation? They are backed by News Limited ffs....

Anyway it's sad that this is heading for the courts, I don't know why the Storm management have been acting like this when they are clearly on the back foot... That Riolo bloke also has a lot to answer for...

Junior Titan

I think someone needs to quickly poin out the facts to steve turner that his ceo is no longer willing to broker a plyaer/money compensation deal and therefore his support from the storm is fading.

The season is really about ramp up and ceos dont wanna be dealing with this bull **** and brian waldron is certanliy looking like one of the them steve cut your loses take searles deal of come for year stay for two longer if you like it will be his best option

he will loose big time in court i know alot of people in the law industry and they all think storm have a very weak case!

go titans

more importantly go broncos lol
    CHURCH OF LOCKYER AND THE LATER DAY BRONCOS

LOCKYER IS GOD - THEREFORE SUNCORP IS MY CHURCH

Lockyer Psalm 1.1

"Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. "

Junior Titan

i dont believe riolo has alot to answer to fom the outset he has said steve signed with titans

he is know only trying to look after his friendship with steve

if steve dumps riolo as a manger it is a selfish decision to try and move the blame to someone who was only looking after his clients best intrests and giving him a big shot at being a superstar

i belive the titans will have alot of true supporters because alot of the players have come here looking for there big break that "dare to be great' situation and here it is the titans could well be alot stronger than everyone thinks if they can form a close bond which i think they will this will get them over the line when they need those little one percenters!
    CHURCH OF LOCKYER AND THE LATER DAY BRONCOS

LOCKYER IS GOD - THEREFORE SUNCORP IS MY CHURCH

Lockyer Psalm 1.1

"Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. "