Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Press release from the Titans and as expected, the Titans have the support of the NRL on this issue:

NRL Blows out Storm?s hopes of securing Turner!

The National Rugby League has officially sided with the Gold Coast Titans, refusing to register a playing contract lodged today by the Melbourne Storm and rising star Steve Turner.

NRL CEO David Gallop informed Titans Managing Director Michael Searle of the League?s decision this afternoon, finding that a binding agreement is in place between the Gold Coast Club and the 21 year old flyer.

?It?s a vindication for us that we have followed the right protocol and procedures and that we have a binding agreement with Steven. From our point of view, providing Steven accepts the referee?s decision, we look forward to having him here in 2007.? Searle said

The decision all but rules out the possibility of Turner playing Rugby League in 2007 for anyone other than the Gold Coast Titans.

?His contract with the Storm hasn?t been registered and obviously any contract that he tries to register other than with the Titans will be rejected by the National Rugby League. Mr Gallop has also indicated that this ruling extends to U.K Super League, so one would hope he makes the right decision and honours his commitment to the Titans.?

Searle has maintained his tough stance by refusing to enter into a round of negotiations with the Melbourne Club. However he has extended an olive branch to Turner, saying he?ll be welcomed with open arms to the Titans fold once his finals commitments have concluded.

?We have been very open with Steve and feel that he has probably been pushed into a corner. We understand that he is only a young man and at the end of the day there are no misgivings from our point of view. We just look forward to meeting with him and talking things through and assuring Steve that he will be more than welcome here in 2007. I am looking forward to seeing Steve excel at fullback for the Gold Coast franchise in 2007.?

That branch didn?t extend to the Storms administration. ?I lay blame squarely on the Melbourne Storm administration who signed the player without the presence of his agent. If Melbourne had taken our advice that we had a clear agreement which is what the NRL have found today, then things would not have got to this stage.?
    Short version: Turner plays for the Titans in 2007 or no team at all.

I honestly believe that Turner is caught up in the emotion of being a part of a successful Melbourne Storm team who are setting the bar high for the 2006 competition. He is finally getting regular starting time and "all is fine" at the moment. If he was able to stay in 2007, would "all be fine"? Bellamy would have had Slater, King, Inglis, Geyer, Quinn and Turner to fit in to a backline - would Turner yet again be the odd man out as he has been in the past? We will never now know.

The best thing for Turner to do is re-committ to the Gold Coast Titans and this all blow over. I know for a fact he will be welcomed with open arms by the team on and off the field. A end of season trip to clear his head will do the world of good.
    Last edited by DeeGan; 21-08-06 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Press release from the Titans and as expected, the Titans have the support of the NRL on this issue:

Short version: Turner plays for the Titans in 2007 or no team at all.

I honestly believe that Turner is caught up in the emotion of being a part of a successful Melbourne Storm team
    The best thing for Turner to do is re-committ to the Gold Coast Titans and this all blow over. .
    You might be right DeeGan...if Turner commits to the Titans, we'll forget about this next month

Titan CEO

Im surprised noone else has leveled blame at the NRL. The Storm are only doing what the NRL said.

The NRL told the Storm they could sign Turner because he hadnt signed a contract with the Titans, they failed to tell the Storm that a letter of intent or a verbal agreement is also binding. NRL share some blame in this....they cant say its ok and then say its not the next week. Were the Storm supposed to doubt the NRL? after all they run the game they are supposed to know whats going on, right?

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Agreed, but then melbourne could have said ok, sorry we didn't realise that had happened, say something to the nrl, then release him, instead their trying to fight a losing battle.

Wink Are Relations Thicker than Club Loyalties...

Well we are all about to find out...

-INTRODUCING MELBOURNE'S NEW WEAPON FOR THE FIGHT FOR STEVE TURNER-

None other than Brother in Law to Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright and Melbourne Storm player..... Matt Geyer...

Geyer wants to be Turner mediator
    By Karl deKroo
    August 22, 2006

MELBOURNE stalwart Matt Geyer looms as a potential peacebroker in the battle over in-demand wing Steve Turner.

The wrangle between Storm and the new Gold Coast Titans franchise appears destined for the courts after the NRL last night ruled the 21 year old's agreement with the Titans was binding.

Turner was trumpeted by the Titans as a key recruit in June.

But Turner announced last week that he intended to stay with Storm on a new three-year deal, claiming he had not signed a contract with the Gold Coast.

NRL boss David Gallop last night ruled the Melbourne contract void.

"We have informed Melbourne we will not be registering the contract they have lodged for Steve Turner," Gallop said.

"It remains our view that an agreement was reached between the Titans and the player. This has been confirmed by the player's agent (David Riolo).

"The decision whether to register or not register a player contract is at our absolute discretion and there is no appeal mechanism. I trust the Storm will accept the decision."

That appears unlikely to happen, with Storm indicating legal action was now a definite possibility.

The only hope of a resolution appears to sit with Geyer, whose brother-in-law is Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

"I obviously have some contacts up there," Geyer said yesterday.

"I haven't spoken to Carts about it, but I would be happy to.

"It is already a messy situation and I'd hate to see it get even uglier. Stevie is a great kid and the last thing he needs is to be stuck in a war between two clubs.

"I can understand the Gold Coast's position. They are trying to build a competitive team for next year. But hopefully they can understand the human side of it."

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle claimed victory last night following the NRL's ruling.

He said the Titans would not back down.

"I cannot be any stronger than to say there is no way the Gold Coast Titans will relent," Searle said.

"If we did, it would set a dangerous precedent not only for us but for our whole game. I don't subscribe to the theory that a contract is only binding if the player wants it to be.

"It's a vindication for us that we have followed the right protocol and procedures and that we have a binding agreement with Steven.

"From our point of view, providing Steven accepts the referee's decision, we look forward to having him here in 2007."

Turner said he remained hopeful a resolution could be reached and admitted it would be an awkward situation if he was made to join the Gold Coast team.

"It'd be very hard to work with the players and the coaching staff after I've been through this and knowing that they knew I wanted to stay in Melbourne," Turner said.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said Storm would not rush its next step.

"We absolutely respect the NRL's right to take this position," Waldron said.

"We will now take the appropriate time to consider all issues related to this matter.

"Our position has not changed but we'll let the dust settle and address it again once our playing commitments are over for the year."

Just let him go.

Or even better sell him to the storm, for say 100k, that should cover costs and help towards getting a replacement, and make all parties think about doing this again.

Did the Titans do everything correctly - NO
    Did Turner do everything correctly - NO
    Did the Storm do everything correctly - NO
    Did the NRL do everthing correctly - NO
    Did the manager do anything correctly - NO

This is not a win/win situation, and i think it would be best if we started concentrating on finding a replacment.

I dont like the idea of someone playing that is not 100% commited, and would hate for him to take up coin and a spot that could be filled by a Gold Coast Junior that would jump at the chance to play.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    Just let him go.

Or even better sell him to the storm, for say 100k, that should cover costs and help towards getting a replacement, and make all parties think about doing this again.

Did the Titans do everything correctly - NO
    Did Turner do everything correctly - NO
    Did the Storm do everything correctly - NO
    Did the NRL do everthing correctly - NO
    Did the manager do anything correctly - NO

This is not a win/win situation, and i think it would be best if we started concentrating on finding a replacment.

I dont like the idea of someone playing that is not 100% commited, and would hate for him to take up coin and a spot that could be filled by a Gold Coast Junior that would jump at the chance to play.
    Pretty fair assessment Coaster & club's are better off when players are totally committed.

QLD Cup Titan

Had a sports lawyer on radio this afternoon.He expressed surprise that there was no appeal avenue open to the Storm after Gallop made his decision & he was surprised that Gallop made a prelimnary finding also.If went to court he felt it could go either way & was not an open or shut case for either side & was dependent upon a number of factors.

The last time I looked, the NRL was a professional football competition, with professional teams full of professional players all with their own lawyers, managers, assistants and aids.

Turner is just 21 years old and has the right to play wherever he wishes, but he also has the responsability of playing to his best ability at the team of his choice.

He made a choice, gave a committment and made a promise to the Titans, management and their fans. He must honour that decision and act like a man and regain some credibility. He's a professional player and must be made to realize, that his word is his bond.

Stop acting like a spoilt child. :baby:

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim
    He made a choice, gave a committment and made a promise to the Titans, management and their fans. He must honour that decision and act like a man and regain some credibility. He's a professional player and must be made to realize, that his word is his bond.

Stop acting like a spoilt child. :baby:
    Well said bigjim...The more time he spends thinking about playing for the Storm next year, the more credibility has loses on the Gold Coast.

LOL with Coaster..."sell him back to the Storm"

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    LOL with Coaster..."sell him back to the Storm"
    Why not?

They can make an arragement with turner to deduct his salary to pay it back,

This way GC dont lose out on the deal they had struck with him. And dont lose face.
    The NRL dont lose face, as a deal was struck, and it wont likly happen again at another club, as they will look at this example.
    Melbourne get the player they want but instead of giving Turner the extra cash they give it elsewhere.
    Turner gets to play where he wants, but has to reduce his salary to get what he wants.

Its a win/win/win/win situation, better then what we have now.

Why not?

They can make an arragement with turner to deduct his salary to pay it back,

This way GC dont lose out on the deal they had struck with him. And dont lose face.
    The NRL dont lose face, as a deal was struck, and it wont likly happen again at another club, as they will look at this example.
    Melbourne get the player they want but instead of giving Turner the extra cash they give it elsewhere.
    Turner gets to play where he wants, but has to reduce his salary to get what he wants.

Its a win/win/win/win situation, better then what we have now.
    Has it been done before?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Has it been done before?

Does it need to be? Try thinking outside the box.

This is about setting a precident, and getting whats best for all 4 parties.
    It also throws the situation back into Turners lap, and says "ok mate, you want to go, then prove it, take a pay cut"

If all this kid is about is the money, then stiff cookies, he should have thought about that before commiting to a deal

Does it need to be? Try thinking outside the box.

This is about setting a precident, and getting whats best for all 4 parties.
    It also throws the situation back into Turners lap, and says "ok mate, you want to go, then prove it, take a pay cut"

If all this kid is about is the money, then stiff cookies, he should have thought about that before commiting to a deal
    I'm not saying not to do it but was more curious if someone had done it in the past.

I don't think it was just about the money, I think he was only focused on the succees of this year and not visioning what the future may hold on the Gold Coast

Junior Titan

Thumbs down

Do We Want Steve Truner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey All
    Man am I looking forward to 2007 when the Titans Play - bout time we had a Gold Coast team........

Now let me ask all of us loyal TITAN fans one question......

DO WE REALLY WANT STEVE TURNER?????????????? :box: :box: :box: :box:
    He must have had a change of heart - or his heart was not with us in the first place. As far as I'm concerned contract or no contract let storm keep him. We dont need a player if his heart is not with us.

In our first year we will want and NEED players who want to play for and with us and not wish they were else where....... AM I RIGHT????
    Does anyone else agree with me?????????????????