Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    Hey dude its a new day dont worry about that move on plus having people come in here and have a different outllok is allways a positive thing but yeah i agree if the player doesnt want to be there why would you want them
    Really great, positive advice and suggestions grimmace :win:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I gotta agree with Souths here. At the Storm we only want players that want ot be with us, hence why we didn't fight for Chewy Chewy Moi Moi and Jackson Nickolau who is not well known but is a very promising young kid.

Maybe before telling me not to call names have a word to Michael Searle, where not bullys or any of the names he called us.
    Michael Searle was right in labelling the Storm administration as "arrogant" when they chose to sign Steve Turner when they were already informed that we had come to an agreement with their player.

?We were very clear with the Storm?s administration before they offered him a new three year deal that we had an agreement with Steve Turner that was legally enforceable and his manager was very clear that we had an agreement but they chose to ignore that very clear advice and sign Steve Turner anyway. Their actions were arrogant and showed complete contempt for our Club?

?Subject to David Gallop making his final determination we want to unequivocally reaffirm that our club will NOT be releasing Steve Turner from his agreement. We also want to confirm he had approached our club last week about a release and after long consideration by myself and John Cartwright we decided that his request did not warrant any special consideration and we informed his management of that.?

I suggest Mikey you grower a thicker skin when all is said and done. Whilst you don't have to agree with our opinion here, harping on about Michael Searle's comments labelling the Storm as arrogant and bullies in this situation is not out of place. Michael chooses words carefully and for the majority in the league world he is well within reason to label Melbourne as such after this week's incident.

The short story is this: the player and or/club management approached the Titans about a possible release which was denied. The player and/or club did not get the answer they wanted and went ahead in signing a contract anyway. Arrogant and showing contempt for our club. It is a slap in the face.

Melbourne are a great club who rarely put a foot wrong on or off the field - in this situation they are clearly in the wrong in their actions. This was always going to put the Titans offside and such comments were to be expected before they made their "signing" announcement.

This is far from over and with the Titans and Storm not backing down, sadly, we will see this go to court in which Steve Turner will more than likely see some time sitting on the sidelines.

QLD Cup Titan

I hope that both clubs & Turner accept the NRL's decision on this matter & that it doesn't go to court.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Michael Searle was right in labelling the Storm administration as "arrogant" when they chose to sign Steve Turner when they were already informed that we had come to an agreement with their player.

?We were very clear with the Storm?s administration before they offered him a new three year deal that we had an agreement with Steve Turner that was legally enforceable and his manager was very clear that we had an agreement but they chose to ignore that very clear advice and sign Steve Turner anyway. Their actions were arrogant and showed complete contempt for our Club?

?Subject to David Gallop making his final determination we want to unequivocally reaffirm that our club will NOT be releasing Steve Turner from his agreement. We also want to confirm he had approached our club last week about a release and after long consideration by myself and John Cartwright we decided that his request did not warrant any special consideration and we informed his management of that.?

I suggest Mikey you grower a thicker skin when all is said and done. Whilst you don't have to agree with our opinion here, harping on about Michael Searle's comments labelling the Storm as arrogant and bullies in this situation is not out of place. Michael chooses words carefully and for the majority in the league world he is well within reason to label Melbourne as such after this week's incident.

The short story is this: the player and or/club management approached the Titans about a possible release which was denied. The player and/or club did not get the answer they wanted and went ahead in signing a contract anyway. Arrogant and showing contempt for our club. It is a slap in the face.

Melbourne are a great club who rarely put a foot wrong on or off the field - in this situation they are clearly in the wrong in their actions. This was always going to put the Titans offside and such comments were to be expected before they made their "signing" announcement.

This is far from over and with the Titans and Storm not backing down, sadly, we will see this go to court in which Steve Turner will more than likely see some time sitting on the sidelines.
    Such a shame to see the situation deteriorate to this. I really hope that both clubs,are able to find some more neutral ground...to continue discussions to resolve these problems before court action is neccessary....A deal is a deal....the player concerned really should honour his word...after all it's not just about him...he, by not honouring his commitments, would have an adverse reaction on the Titans....So happy to see the Titans fight for what is right....:win:....It is reasonable to expect the Titans, to stand up and state their case....instead of being walked all over..:win:

Source: Herald Sun

NEW Zealand Warriors enforcer Ruben Wiki last night implored Storm winger Steve Turner to stick to his guns, even if the wrangle for his services heads to the courts.

Wiki is qualified to comment after he found himself trapped in a similar tug-of-war more than a decade ago.

After winning the 1994 premiership with Canberra, the then 21-year-old Wiki signed contracts with both the Auckland Warriors and Canberra Raiders.

With neither side prepared to give an inch, Wiki found himself missing much of the next season as the battle moved to the Federal Court.

The court eventually ruled in Wiki's favour and he was allowed to stay with the Raiders.

"I don't know a lot about (Turner's) situation, but it certainly brings back some memories for me," Wiki said.

"It sounds like he is in a better position than I was, because I had actually signed two contracts."

Wiki ironically joined the Warriors last year ? electing to return to his native land to finish his stellar career.

Wiki said no matter how ugly things become, Turner needed to stand by his beliefs.

"It will be a tough time for the young kid," Wiki said.

"But in the end you have to stand by what you believe and do what you think is best.

"Hopefully it doesn't end up in the courts, like mine did, but even if it does he just has to be strong."

Wiki said he couldn't understand why the Titans would dig their heels in and said it was important the warring clubs remembered there was a human being at the centre of the dispute.

"I can't understand any club wanting a player that doesn't really want to be there," Wiki said.

"It sounds like he has his heart set on staying where he is and hopefully the other club can respect that."
    Im sure rules have changed on this topic, but wiki managed to escape an actual contract...though it cost him most of his next season. If we take past events into account at all, it SHOULD be ruled for turner to have the final say.

Ok people i know this is between the storm and the titans. For one minute lets look at the bigger picture. It looks like niether the Storm and the Titans are going to back down on this one now that means when the NRL makes its decison. The team who looses out is probably going to take this to court right? now what does this do for the NRL to have it dragged thorugh the courts. It means this instead of the focus going on about how good the footy is much of the Media attention will be on the court case and once the court case is over the media are still going to have a field day about it. Thats enough of my ranting one more final thing i will say on the subject though is this. I hope both clubs do whats best by the player
    Last edited by grimmace; 19-08-06 at 04:22 PM.

i haven't read all the pages of this thread, but anyways

i would say let him saty at storm - who wants a player who doesnn't want to be here. turner is a good player, but its not like he is prince or plays in a position like the halves/hooker.
    also, maybe titans are putting up a big fuss of not letting him stay at the storm, because they have other players who havn't actually signed contracts only verbal agreement, and don't want them to start pulling out too. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by ..::Coops::..
    i haven't read all the pages of this thread, but anyways

i would say let him saty at storm - who wants a player who doesnn't want to be here. turner is a good player, but its not like he is prince or plays in a position like the halves/hooker.
    also, maybe titans are putting up a big fuss of not letting him stay at the storm, because they have other players who havn't actually signed contracts only verbal agreement, and don't want them to start pulling out too. just a thought
    Hey..:Coops::.....Maybe it just comes down principal ?...And there is no getting around the fact the RL is a business....just like any other. They same laws and principals apply....So ( leaving out the players personal feelings for a sec)... are the Titans just exercising their rights like any other business would? And if the Titans cave(for want of a better word) :ok:.....then that really does'nt set a good precedence for themselves. Each situation that arises should be dealt with on a case by case basis...but at the end of the day business is business....Somebody made the right 'executive decision' to exercise their legal rights...Nothing wrong with that..:win:

I have to say that as a buisness decision, the Titans have made a massive mistake in not geting him to sign anything.

I have lost alot of confidence in some of our management becuase of these stupid errors.

1. Dolphins name- this was a major blunder, this should have been locked in well before made public.
    2. Carrara fiasco- Why wasnt this in writing? it may have worked out in the end, but thats not the point.
    3. Turner Turncoat - Why did we not have his signiture? $69 dollars to get to Melbourne by Jetstar, get on the damn plane and get the contract signed.

and counting, we still have a stadium to be built, which could potentialy cuase massive problems, and this before our first game.

Get things right the first time, and stop this leaking of stupidity now.

Well noted Coaster

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    I have to say that as a buisness decision, the Titans have made a massive mistake in not geting him to sign anything.

I have lost alot of confidence in some of our management becuase of these stupid errors.

1. Dolphins name- this was a major blunder, this should have been locked in well before made public.
    2. Carrara fiasco- Why wasnt this in writing? it may have worked out in the end, but thats not the point.
    3. Turner Turncoat - Why did we not have his signiture? $69 dollars to get to Melbourne by Jetstar, get on the damn plane and get the contract signed.

and counting, we still have a stadium to be built, which could potentialy cuase massive problems, and this before our first game.

Get things right the first time, and stop this leaking of stupidity now.
    The assumptions in here are just killing me... Turner doesnt "SIGN" a contract, therefore its a mistake of management - a throwaway line based on a guess ...

Why the contract wasnt signed ? Could be many reasons couldnt it... ?

Yes... Management "Might" have been to blame... But can management lock Steve Turner in a prison cell, tell him he's not coming out til he signs... Can they grab his hand.. and force the pen to the paper... I might be a tad naive but i dont think they can...

Here's my GUESS ... Turner purposely avoided signing the contract in case he was offered something better at the storm, in other words, he hedged his bets... Knowing full well he'd take the better offer... But unfortunatley for Steve Turner... he doesnt know anything about contract law... This guess is based on no known fact... And could be completely insane... But no more insane than the others passed around...

Quote Originally Posted by Brettymac
    The assumptions in here are just killing me... Turner doesnt "SIGN" a contract, therefore its a mistake of management - a throwaway line based on a guess ...

Why the contract wasnt signed ? Could be many reasons couldnt it... ?

Yes... Management "Might" have been to blame... But can management lock Steve Turner in a prison cell, tell him he's not coming out til he signs... Can they grab his hand.. and force the pen to the paper... I might be a tad naive but i dont think they can...

Here's my GUESS ... Turner purposely avoided signing the contract in case he was offered something better at the storm, in other words, he hedged his bets... Knowing full well he'd take the better offer... But unfortunatley for Steve Turner... he doesnt know anything about contract law... This guess is based on no known fact... And could be completely insane... But no more insane than the others passed around...
    Agree with you Brettymac...Sounds like you have nailed it! People at work today were saying the exact same thing! They are not happy about him at all!
    (up here on the coast) There is a really good vibe in the air about Titans. People are passionate about them!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

If Turner has approached the Titans for a release last week, then that proves he made a contract in the first place.
    A contract's a contract...verbal or written.
    A verbal isn't a very stable way of making a contract because it's hard to prove in court but still legal.

I can't believe the Titan's didn't have him sign a written contract...I hope they learn from their unprofessional mistake.

Storm are playing with ignorance and a poker face. The whole NRL community knew he made a contract with the Titans

If Turner doesn't have the brains to see what potential the Gold Coast has....then I say he has shown that he is not the charactor the Titans want to sign anyway.

QLD Cup Titan

Brian Waldron spoke at pre match & confirmed nothing had been signed by Turner.Their legal advice is that Turner has a contract with Storm not the Titans.He said he understood Titans disappointment but said had Turner signed a contract or letter of intent they would not have been able to sign Turner.He also mentioned Moi Moi & said if players don't want to be there then your better off without them.Why the Titans didn't get Turner's signature is beyond me.

Junior Titan

This will go to court unless the clubs themselves sort it out. The NRL really do not have a role to play here, its more a legal matter than anything the NRL have jurisdiction over.

BTW, the players association have been very quiet over this whole matter...what the hell is their purpose???