Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

I think we need to wait and hear Steve's opinion on this before we take this seriously. If Steve is committed to staying in Melbourne, then nothing 'should' come of this. If Steve says he wants to go to the Sharks, and the Titans allow it, first of all what will the Titans get from it, and second of all, why would the Titans let him go to the Sharks but not the Storm?

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg
    surely there would be some sort of a trade agreement with the Sharks similar to the one attempted with Melbourne.
    No,Only the Storm will have to cough up something to keep Turner.Searle has been trying to resolve this mess whereas the Storm haven't.I would think Searle is better doing nothing but I get the impression he wants this sorted out by Turner going anywhere except for Melb.Returning to Sydney must be tempting for Turner despite not being his 1st preference.

I find it very strange how Turner could have ended up in this position with so many minders, representing both him and the Melbourne Storm. Surely his own manager would have told him the consequences of his actions.

But what really puzzles me is the Storm's attitude of late to this whole situation. They allowed Turner to negotiate with the Titans, and when he had all but walked out the door they offer him a more attractive contract knowing full well the outcome.

Once the s#*t has well and truly hit the fan, they completely back off and state publicly that the contractual issues are solely between the Titans and Turner.

:whatd: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the issue evaporate if Melbourne simply withdraw their offer. :whatd:

They have left a young niave footballer, and an obviously incompetent manager, to clean up the mess.

It makes me wonder what the Storm's :disgust: true agenda was.

Steve Turner released from the Titans, heading back to Melbourne.

More details to come.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Steve Turner released from the Titans, heading back to Melbourne.

More details to come.
    Well I expected that to occur after Rogers signed with the GC, they don't need Turner and if Melbourne agreed to the deal, then it would be the right thing to do.

Lets hope though he hasn't been released with nothing in return though, as that would be a huge mistake, though I am sure the club wouldn't allow that to happen.

I look forward to the details.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Well I expected that to occur after Rogers signed with the GC, they don't need Turner and if Melbourne agreed to the deal, then it would be the right thing to do.

Lets hope though he hasn't been released with nothing in return though, as that would be a huge mistake, though I am sure the club wouldn't allow that to happen.

I look forward to the details.
    Could it be that the Storm will pay for Rogers contract this year?

QLD Cup Titan

Apparently Storm have released 2 juniors & have paid an undisclosed financial amount.

Titan First Grade Regular

Turner himself must pay $50,000 in compensation to the Titans and the Storm must give the Titans two Young Juniors
    [

Junior Titan

Finally a resolution.Congrats to the Titans for standing their ground , now we can focus on more important things.And to Steve Turner good luck in Melbourne-as the saying goes, break a leg.

Fantastic news! A good result for the Titans. Especially re: juniors.

I'm proud of my club for sticking to its guns and things really seem to be clicking for the Coast now. With a lot of great news today.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Turner to stay with Storm
    By Daniel Pace
    January 15, 2007 RENEGADE wing Steve Turner will play for Melbourne for the next three years after Storm agreed to pay compensation to Gold Coast in return for the Titans releasing him.

The compromise ends a five-month bitter dispute between the National Rugby League clubs, with Turner being granted his wish to remain with the 2006 grand finalist despite agreeing to join the Titans on a three-year deal in June last year.

Turner had a change of heart in August, sparking an ugly feud between Storm chief executive Brian Waldron and Titans managing director Michael Searle.

Waldron initially refused to pay Gold Coast any compensation after the NRL sided with the Titans in the tug-of-war for the 22-year-old Turner's services but he finally relented.

Storm will provide two contracted junior players to Gold Coast - fullback Smith Samau and centre Daniel Isaac - as well as financial compensation in return for allowing Turner to renege on the Titans deal.

It is believed the financial compensation is close to $100,000 - the difference between the Titans' $150,000 deal for Turner and the upgraded offer from the Storm in which he re-signed until the end of 2009.

"We're happy with the outcome," said a relieved Searle.

A News Limited newspaper (EDS: Sunday Telegraph) reported the Sharks were in the mix for Turner as a replacement for Darren Albert but coach Ricky Stuart will now have to look elsewhere.

Coincidentally, the Titans' first NRL match will be a trial against Melbourne in Coffs Harbour on February 17.

In a further boost to the club, dual international Mat Rogers, 31, today agreed to terms for the 2007 season after quitting rugby last month, citing personal reasons.

"He seems great," said Searle.

"`Even his body language shows he's really fresh and jumping out of his skin to start training.

"He would've gone to training this afternoon if he had the chance.

"He's had lots of positive vibes around the city. The people respect his space here.

"It was smooth negotiations and it wasn't intense. We've been pretty open about what we could and couldn't afford in our top 17 anyway."

The early acquisition of Rogers, who was not due to join the Titans until the end of this year, means coach John Cartwright will have six internationals in his squad.

"If I had said a year ago that the plan was to have six internationals available for game one of the 2007 season, you would have thought I was mad," Cartwright said.

"But not only have we done that, we've also secured a dual international as our final signing of the year.

"I'm pretty sure we would be the envy of the premiership right now."

In another filip for the Titans, Great Britain wing Brian Carney has resolved visa problems in the UK and began training today after arriving on the Gold Coast on Sunday.

"It's going to take me a couple of days to get settled into the country and get right into the training," the Irishman told reporters today.

"I've no doubts that when the season starts I'll be up to scratch."

AAP

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Fantastic news! A good result for the Titans. Especially re: juniors.

I'm proud of my club for sticking to its guns and things really seem to be clicking for the Coast now. With a lot of great news today.
    The Titans have done well & Searle is to be proud of the stance he took.Turner is a handy player but no superstar.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ
    And to Steve Turner good luck in Melbourne-as the saying goes, break a leg.
    What crap

It took Melbourne long enough! They are the reason that this whole situation occured, and it took them this long to finally come to terms with the fact they are the ones who needed to resolve it. Congrats to Searley on the way he has dealt with all of this.

Thank goodness this saga is over. Steve will feel relieved for now but is going to get smashed when the Storm play the Titans by both players and fans. Like the direction the Titans took but can't begin to understand how the Storm got so deep into this situation. How would you be going up to 2 junior talents that you have been pumping up, readying for first grade and telling them that they are being traded for a pea-hearted toss like Turner. I reckon about an inch tall. I hope Samau and Isaac turn out to be good first graders and score a truck load of tries against the Storm, whether it be for the Titans or someone else.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!