Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Junior Titan

Default Steve Turner - Staying in Melbourne?

Did anyone else hear the whispers that Steve Turner might not join the Titans after all and stay with the Storm?

A cousin of mine down in Melbourne who is also a mad Storm fan gave me the tip. Sorry for speculating, I don't usually like spreading rumours, but I really do hope it happens for the sake of my club!

Doubt it would happen anyhow lol. He's been in terrific form this year and i'm sure he'll slot in well at FB next year for the Titans!

shocked man i am shocked what going on

Default What's going on?

Are there any more "signings" that haven't actually signed? This is a huge loss for the Titans and I hope they are busily getting their other signings to put pen to paper! Let's hope we get a great replacement for him in the top 25.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

theirs much more players in the sea ripe for the pickin
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Can we make sure that players actually sign contracts... letters of intent allow this sort of thing to occur... and if he didn't sign a contract, I guess he has every right to reneg on the deal...

What can you do about it though I guess, we will just have to look for another player, shame though... but we also have to make sure that players on letters of intent get signed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingytek
    Here is the full article from the above link:

Steve turns on Titans
    Karl deKroo
    August 16, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Storm winger Steve Turner performed a stunning about-face last night, turning his back on the Gold Coast Titans to remain with Melbourne for the next three years.

Turner, 21, was unveiled in June as a key signing for the new Titans franchise which enters the NRL in 2007.

Incredibly, the former junior Kangaroos representative was never asked to sign a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast and he has had a change of heart.

"Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today.

"We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem."

The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said.

"I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either.

"I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons.

"From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle could not be contacted last night.

Waldron said he could understand the Titans' position, but said they had only themselves to blame.

"If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said.

"But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club.

"We were in a similar position when we thought we had signed (Parramatta prop) Fuifui Moimoi a year ago.

"We thought he was coming here but there was a problem with his manager. It became clear he wanted to stay with Parramatta and we decided it was fair and reasonable."

A Penrith junior, Turner was signed by Storm in 2003 as a replacement for foundation fullback Robbie Ross.

He battled injury in his first two seasons and Billy Slater and Greg Inglis surpassed him in the fullbacks' pecking order.

Used this season as a winger, Turner has proven a sensation, starting all 21 games and scoring 13 tries.

"I feel like I am playing the best footy of my career," Turner said.

"I have probably adapted to the wing better than most people expected.

"I am really enjoying playing out there and I realise that playing fullback isn't my priority any more."

The Titans have signed Storm hooker Nathan Friend and centre Jake Webster for next season. Turner had been expected to be their first-choice fullback ahead of British rep player Richie Mathers.

The Hearld Sun

Junior Titan

Default Titans brand Storm as 'bullies'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Tit...407944762.html

Titans brand Storm 'bullies' over Turner

Email
    Print
    Normal font
    Large font
    August 17, 2006 - 4:41PM

Advertisement

Advertisement

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle has accused Melbourne of bullying the NRL newcomers in the bitter tug-of-war over Storm winger Steve Turner.

The Titans had trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal in June but the 21-year-old this week re-signed with the Storm saying he had not signed a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Searle has branded the Storm's actions in trying to re-sign Turner for 2007 as "reprehensible" and "disrespectful" to the fledgling club.

Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to discuss the matter, which will likely be resolved by the league in the coming days.

"We feel that the efforts in the Melbourne Storm to secure Steven's services, despite the knowledge of this agreement, to be reprehensible," Searle said.

"We also think it's disrespectful to the Gold Coast Titans administration and its fans.

"If our advice had've been heeded on Tuesday when we said we had an agreement with Steve we wouldn't be in this situation.

"The Storm's tactics were bullying, they were very bullying on Tuesday, to sign an agreement with the knowledge he had already come to terms with us.

"The Gold Coast of old may have rolled over but this organisation won't.

"Subject to David Gallop's determination on the matter, Steven Turner will not be granted a release to play for the Melbourne Storm in 2007.

"He had approached us the week prior and we had, after long consideration between the coaching staff and myself, declined his request.

"The events of the past week have been greatly disappointing, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for rugby league fans in general."

? 2006 AAP
    That is absolute crap. I'm happy to accept that it's the responsibility of both parties to get this into shape, but for Mr Searle to come out and say this isn't very nice because it's a cheap shot on the Storm!

If Turner doesn't get a release then all hell will break loose ...

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

QLD Cup Titan

The Storm weren't bullies when they let the Titans talk to 3 of their players before June 30.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by mb63
    The Storm weren't bullies when they let the Titans talk to 3 of their players before June 30.
    Exactly ...

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Perhaps we should keep Turner discussions to one thread? This article has been posted there too, and it's the same sorts of discussions that are bound to take place.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    Perhaps we should keep Turner discussions to one thread? This article has been posted there too, and it's the same sorts of discussions that are bound to take place.
    Whoops sorry Steve, didn't see the article posted in the other thread. Perhaps you could merge these two threads?

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Threads merged and renamed 'the steve turner discussion thread' just to make things easy.

Junior Titan

Mikey, pull your head in mate. Calling opposition fans 'tight****s' is a stupid thing to do. I'm sure friendly banter and discussion is encouraged, but not crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by philstorm
    Mikey, pull your head in mate. Calling opposition fans 'tight****s' is a stupid thing to do. I'm sure friendly banter and discussion is encouraged, but not crap like that.
    :win: :win: :win:...Great post philstorm.urdy: