Default Its Boom Not Doom For Titans

t's boom not doom for Titans
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    Luke Turgeon

18Jan07

GOLD COAST coach John Cartwright yesterday hit back at doomsayers, defending his club and vigorously denying criticism that the Titans are in crisis.

Following one of the most tumultuous days in the club's short history, which saw star Irish winger Brian Carney suddenly retire and dual international Mat Rogers injure himself during his first training session, Cartwright expressed dismay at how quick some critics were to sink the boot into the NRL new boys.

The events further compounded the drama from Monday when the Titans lost renegade winger Steve Turner, trading him back to Melbourne in exchange for two promising juniors and compensation.

"The issues that have happened have been no fault of the club, just a couple of individuals who have changed their minds," said Cartwright, a former NSW and Test backrower.

"The Steve Turner one, we just stuck to our guns, which I thought we were entitled to do and we got a positive outcome there.

"Brian Carney, who was signed to us, came here, trained and decided to retire.

"I don't know what we could have done as an administration to change that.

"If you look at it, 99 per cent of our squad are here and happy and enjoying themselves and if certain people want to focus on the minority well it just reeks of something."

Reports by southern media yesterday predicted the Titans were now on a downhill slide and were seen as the 'laughing stock' of the league.

"Where that has all come from I don't know," said Cartwright. "We have got 30-something blokes who are still in full training and are jumping out of their skins waiting for a ball to be kicked.

"There have been issues with a couple of players that have been totally out of our control.

"This is the most professional organisation I have ever been involved with."

After losing both first-choice wingers, Carney and Turner, in the space of 24 hours, Cartwright conceded the situation was not ideal.

But he insisted it was far from panic stations.

Cartwright said winger Matt Petersen will recover from a knee injury in time for their first trial against Melbourne in Coffs Harbour on February 17 and there were numerous other wing combinations available to him.

"Lelea Paea, Chris Walker can play on the wing, Jake Webster, Mat Rogers and Josh Graham can as well, they can play either in the centres or on the wing.

"There are also guys like Jordan Atkins and Nathaniel Barnes out of Queensland Cup. Guys like that are hungry and bursting for a chance.

"While in a perfect world it would be great to have Carney and Turner on our books, the reality is they are not there.

"I am just as excited about the prospect of one of those guys names that I mentioned getting a chance."

Cartwright said the rest of the squad was quite surprised when informed of Carney's decision to call it quits, but it had not damaged morale.

"It was probably a bit of shock more than anything, he made a bit of an impression on his first day with us," he said.

"Footballers are a pretty resilient bunch.

"We will move on."

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

The same "experts" mocking the club in the pre-season will be the same "experts" stating they "told us so" when any success comes our way in 2007.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    The same "experts" mocking the club in the pre-season will be the same "experts" stating they "told us so" when any success comes our way in 2007.
    Why don't you just wait until the season unfolds before getting all upset. You guys have not payed one single game..and lets face it - this is where you need to put up or shut up.

Just like every other team...

gee the negative thoughts of some people out there, i got sick off hearing and reading titans a joke, remeber the titans etc, they are so negative some media, we have 5 internationals and plenty of back up in Q cup, our development squad is probably one of the most talented around and just because we lose carney they write the titans off, i dont care what everyone says we are in it for the long run.

Carty telling it like it is.

Australian rugby league journalists make English tabloids look like bastions of good reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown
    Why don't you just wait until the season unfolds before getting all upset. You guys have not payed one single game..and lets face it - this is where you need to put up or shut up.

Just like every other team...
    Who is getting upset? It was a rather innocent post from someone who has seen the "experts" on many occasions write off a team, player, coach etc. in the off-season only to give us a big, fat "I told you so" during the season. Paul Kent for one springs to mind, Steve Mascord another.

The Gold Coast Titans are an easy target for those being paid to give an opinion on the upcoming NRL season - easy target means an easy article here and there which in turns equals a pay cheque.

This is expected, why would I in turn be upset? I can live with the opinions of others albeit I don't agree with it. Any success that comes our way in 2007 is a great platform to launch from come 2008.

Thanks for the interpreting my mood/tone Lowdown - you were spot on