Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

League
    Titans get heavy with Turner

By Daniel Pace
    November 22, 2006

THE Gold Coast Titans have warned Steve Turner he faces the "full wrath" of the NRL club if he wants to stay with Melbourne for financial rather than compassionate reasons.

Titans managing director Michael Searle will meet with Turner in the next two days, probably in Sydney, to try to resolve the messy contractual dispute between his club and Melbourne that has dragged on for three months.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said today Turner had some "distressing'' personal issues to overcome but he would not reveal any details before the 22-year-old flyer had met with Searle.

Turner, partner Kate, player-manager David Riolo, Storm coach Craig Bellamy and club chief executive Brian Waldron met with Gallop in Sydney this morning to plead their case for the Penrith junior to remain in Melbourne.

It's been reported the Storm had offered Turner an extra $100,000 to re-sign for three years with the club, despite him already agreeing to join the Titans until the end of 2009.

Searle said he was happy to discuss granting Turner a release on compassionate grounds but the wing would have to mount a compelling case.

"If it is purely financial then he should expect the full wrath of our organisation but if there are compassionate grounds then we'll look at it,'' Searle said.

"To date we've been given no evidence other than that he wants to stay in Melbourne and that is not a reason to terminate any agreement.

"If those reasons have changed or been modified then I'll sit down and listen to him. The game has to take a strong position on players unilaterally terminating agreements.

"Our club's in a Catch 22. Realistically we're going to be the only loser out of this.''

Gallop said he had explained to Turner that the NRL's hands were tied on the thorny issue.

"The entire fabric of the system relies on clubs and players honouring their commitment,'' he said.

"It seems to be acknowledged that he had committed to the Titans but he certainly has some personal issues that make the situation complicated.

"The entire situation is very distressing and I got an appreciation of that.''

But Gallop said his position had not wavered and he would continue to support the Titans in their battle to ensure Turner honoured his agreement.

The Titans are privately fuming over Waldron's handling of the affair after Turner backflipped and re-signed with Storm in August.

Asked whether he was angry with Storm officials, Searle replied: "I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed.

"We probably do see the financial inducement that was provided as something that concerns us and I think it is a whole game issue.

"With the pending release of anti-tampering obligations on clubs, I think this has been taken to another step to be frank.''

Searle said Turner's change of heart defied logic and he questioned whether it was all about the money.

"Call me a cynic but I think when there is extra cash, it does lead to people changing their mind,'' he said.

"I'm not saying that's the sole reason he's made the decision but until we're shown anything that resembles compassionate grounds our club won't entertain a release.''

Waldron denied suggestions Storm would launch a legal challenge against the NRL, which has steadfastly refused to register the club's contract with Turner.

AAP

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

See,this is when the cynical part of me surfaces...
    If,as Turner alledges,he has personal issues then why the hell wasnt this mentioned to Searle and co?
    Why has it only surfaced now the deadline has passed?
    It all seems a bit too convenient... :ok:
    If the Titans and the NRL stick to their guns then Turner(coat) will be portrayed as the victim if he's not allowed to stay in Bleak City :dead:

Default Defiant Turner to stick with Storm

Defiant Turner to stick with Storm

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:11 PM

Defiant winger Steve Turner is refusing to leave Melbourne to join the Gold Coast Titans on a three year deal because he cemented a first grade spot with the Storm this year.

Turner is seeking a release from his three-year agreement with the Titans on compassionate grounds but club managing director Michael Searle is refusing to budge following a surprise meeting with him in a Brisbane hotel.

It's understood Turner told Searle he never believed he'd be playing first grade for the Storm when he agreed to join the Titans in June.

"It was all about the fact he wanted to stay in Melbourne because the Storm have been good to him," a Titans source said.

"That's doesn't constitute compassionate grounds for a release."

Turner went on to make 26 appearances for the Storm in a star-studded backline, scoring 18 tries for the losing grand finalists.

The news comes in the wake of a startling revelation the Titans are likely to grant Penrith forward Frank Puletua a release for compassionate reasons.

Searle had earlier told reporters on the Gold Coast that Turner would feel the "full wrath" of the NRL club if he wanted to stay with Melbourne for financial rather than compassionate reasons.

Searle said he was unconvinced Turner deserved to be released from the Titans after meeting with the Penrith junior.

"I asked Steve a direct question if there were any compassionate reasons other than him having an incredible loyalty to Melbourne and a desire to continue playing first grade for the Storm," Searle said.

"There was nothing new brought to light. We'd set a bad precedent for the game and the club if we released him."

Turner, partner Kate, player-manager David Riolo, Storm coach Craig Bellamy and club chief executive Brian Waldron met with Gallop in Sydney this morning to plead their case for the Penrith junior to remain in Melbourne.

Gallop said he had explained to Turner that the NRL's hands were tied on the thorny issue.

"The entire fabric of the system relies on clubs and players honouring their commitment," he added.

"It seems to be acknowledged that he had committed to the Titans but he certainly has some personal issues that make the situation complicated.

"The entire situation is very distressing."But Gallop said he would continue to support the Titans in their battle to ensure Turner honoured his agreement.

The Titans are privately fuming over Waldron's handling of the affair after Turner backflipped and re-signed with the Storm in August.

They claim the Storm have recruited "spin doctors" to put their case in a positive light.

"They'll come out and try to create something," a Titans source said.

Riolo said it was a difficult period for Turner, who was good friends with Titans coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler.

"He has strained those personal relationships because of this," Riolo said.

"It's been a very stressful time for him and his girlfriend."

Searle would now adopt a "wait and see" approach but Riolo said the ball was firmly in the Titans' court.

"Steve Turner wants to stay in Melbourne and he's pushed that forward to the Gold Coast," Riolo said.

"It's now up to them to decide what they want to do. It's been a difficult situation for everyone.

"The other problem the Gold Coast would have is replacing him in their roster."

Searle said Puletua had compelling family reasons to be released but stressed the club was yet to make a final decision.

"I'll probably sit down with John Cartwright in the next week or so and we'll work it through," Searle added.

"It is something we're considering and we'll go through the same process as with Steve Turner."
    Source: AAP

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

i think enough is enough.

i fully understand and commend the titans for taking the stand they have, they should and have done the right thing. But he is such a whiner at the moment, i think its better letting him go and letting someone who wants to play for the titans play.

and i think the nrl should ban him for playing for a year, so we don't set a precednet and allow other players to skip clubs.

A year?
    It should be three years,the same length of time as the original contract :curse:
    So,turners basic arguement is he only signed with titans so he could play first grade,and when promised a first grade position with melbourne he backflipped?
    The same melbourne who promised him the first grade fullback position,then reneged?
    I hope he cops a career ending injury in the off season.

I think the lesson learnt by all clubs in the NRL is get the player to sign an actual contract!!!!!

It seems like the most obvious thing to do, however the Titans haven't in this case. And based on reports it wasn't done with other players either.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    I think the lesson learnt by all clubs in the NRL is get the player to sign an actual contract!!!!!

It seems like the most obvious thing to do, however the Titans haven't in this case. And based on reports it wasn't done with other players either.
    He agreed verbally and intellectually,which is enough for the NRL :roll:

lets hope it is sorted out soon...

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

well, i can see from his point of view a little about wanting to play for melbourne, i jus tthink when he signed the titans contract (verball or whatever) he wasn't thinking it through throghully, hes is in the wrong, but i feel more will be accomplished by giving him a slap on the wrist rather than ruining a potential career for a stupid mistake. thus a one year ban.

He has acted like a child so treat him like a child...Punish him

It's a game of Rugby League...not a tree hugging, 'don't hit yout kids' type of game.

If he turns around, admits his mistakes and says he will work twice as hard as any other Titans player to win a grandfinal, then I will take him in...it just looks as though he's chasing the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by casey's_angel27
    lets hope it is sorted out soon...
    it id hes going to stay with the storm

QLD Cup Titan

Whilst I have sympathy for the Titans I can't see why they want someone that doesn't want to be there.The day will come when a player will want a release from his contract at another NRL club to join the Titans so it can work both ways.

No escape for Turner
    Patrick Molihan

23Nov06

TITANS boss Michael Searle has refused to back down in his battle with reluctant recruit Steve Turner and told the Storm flyer it's time to realise he's not being asked to 'go to war in Iraq'.

Turner flew to Brisbane late yesterday for hastily arranged peace talks with Searle after earlier telling National Rugby League boss David Gallop that extenuating personal issues were behind his desire to renege on a three-year deal with the Gold Coast.

Gallop asked Searle to meet with the 22-year-old for the first time after Turner stated his case at NRL headquarters with his partner Kate Novak, who had been in tears, as she pleaded for rugby league's chief executive to intervene to let her boyfriend remain in Melbourne.

"I was going there hoping we'd be told something new and he told me nothing new. He said he wanted to reward Melbourne for their loyalty," said Searle.

"So I don't see how anything he told me constitutes compassionate grounds for a release."

Searle says Turner is not in counselling for any issues outstanding and the Titans expect him to honour the deal.

The former Penrith junior has been told to report for training next week with Searle pointing out that Turner had agreed to the deal.

It was not an AFL-type situation where he was some 18-year-old who had been drafted unwillingly to a club interstate.

"I said to Steve and Kate, you're a professional rugby league player, coming to the Gold Coast to play football. You're not a soldier going to war in Iraq," said Searle.

"We as a club can't be any more reasonable than we've been.

"We have offered him a get-out clause after one year and I've got no doubt if he comes up here he'll never leave."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has called on the Titans to be sympathetic to his plight.

"Life isn't all about playing footy. Its about being happy," said Waldron. "We probably lose sight (of that) as an industry.

"They're not just footballers, they're human beings and we think because they play the game and (given) their profile, and there's some good wages that come with it, that they're not important."

However, Searle says if there were genuine compassionate issues they would let a player out of a contract.

He is worried about reports the Storm offered Turner more money to stay.

"So it's hard for us to imagine compassionate grounds when there does appear to be a financial result out of this," said Searle.

"Call me a cynic but I think sometimes when there is extra cash that obviously does lead people to change their mind."

Turner received plenty of sympathy for his case from NRL boss David Gallop but no support. Gallop maintains he would be doing an injustice to the Titans and the contract negotiation system that exists in rugby league if he bent the rules.

"I think our hands are tied on it," he said. "I think that there's a contract in place and unless the Titans change their view he (Turner) is going to have to face up to that

Source: GC bulletin

Turner offers to pay Titans
    Brad Walter
    November 23, 2006

TUG-o-war NRL star Steve Turner yesterday offered to pay Gold Coast any extra money he earns by staying in Melbourne to release him during his first face-to-face meeting with Titans managing director Michael Searle.

After receiving a sympathetic hearing from NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday morning, Turner and his agent, David Riolo, flew to Brisbane to outline the reasons the 22-year-old Penrith junior wanted to renege on his three-year Titans deal.

The matter remains unresolved and Turner has refused to rule out going to court rather than report to Gold Coast training next Tuesday, but Riolo revealed the lengths he and Turner were going to to find a solution.

With proposals falling over for the Titans to take firstly Clint Greenshields then Adam Mogg as a replacement, Riolo said Turner had offered to pay the difference between his Gold Coast contract and the one he later signed with the Storm as compensation to allow him and partner Kate Novak to stay in Melbourne.

"I can categorically declare that this is not about money and it never has been," Riolo told the Herald. "Steve Turner would play for Melbourne for less money than his contract with the Titans and he said he would be willing to give them the difference as compensation. He said he would be willing to play for nothing to stay in Melbourne.

"He is not some young pup just suddenly doing a backflip. Steve and Kate have some personal reasons why they want to stay in Melbourne and the club has been very supportive of them."

Gallop urged Turner to plead his case in person to Searle.

But he said there was little the NRL could do and unless Turner was able to come to an arrangement with the Gold Coast he would not be allowed to play for any other club.

Source:smh

Junior Titan

we don't need this ungratefull
    he has done nothing but bring bad publicity to the club and i'm very over his antics
    i'm a giant charging waves while the seagulls fly by