Default Missing persons hinder the Gold Coast Titans

The Gold Coast Titans returned to the training paddock yesterday, but their list of 'no-shows' has lengthened.

With the Steve Turner fiasco the only major ripple in the club's near perfect lead-in to debut, coach John Cartwright admitted to being frustrated by the absence of international winger Brian Carney.

The nuggety Irishmen is stuck in England with visa problems, which Cartwright hopes will be resolved over the next few days.

"I have no doubt that he (Carney) will be here as soon as he can be, but it is definitely a genuine problem," he said. "Satts (football manager Scott Sattler) has been working it through with Brian and we are hoping any day now he will get his clearance.

"When you are dealing with government departments, things tend to take a bit of time.

"Maybe we could have sorted it out quicker, but it has been Christmas time, and dealing with different departments has been a nightmare.

"I was under the impression that all things being well he would have been here between Christmas and New Year."

Sattler explained that the visa complications had arisen because Carney shifted between three different employers in recent months -- from Newcastle, where he played the last NRL season, to the Great Britain team during the Tri-Nations, then to the Titans.

Carney had returned to England after the international series and delays had arisen when he attempted to return to Australia.

"I have spoken to him (Carney) several times since just before Christmas and I have no doubt he will be here as soon as possible and that the hold-ups are genuine," said Cartwright. "However it is a bit frustrating as a coach because you would like to have your full squad here. I certainly would not like the situation to drag past Monday.

"The training sessions this week are all about blowing away the cobwebs and things really kick in on Monday."

Also missing from training yesterday was co-captain Scott Prince, who is on his honeymoon.

"When Scott was trying to organise his wedding, he was still in contention for the Tri-Nations, and so had to plans things around that," explained Cartwright.

"The only time he could get married was during the pre-season. He will be back by Monday."

Cartwright said the situation with recalcitrant Storm winger Steve Turner had not changed.

"Our stance is the same. We will release him if we are compensated."

There was also no change with the Titans other missing link, dual international Mat Rogers, who is contracted to the Titans in 2008 but is considering an earlier return to rugby league after cutting ties with the Australian Rugby Union.

"Mat's decision was to have time to get away and access where he's at," said Cartwright.

"For me that is where we are and I have not spoken to him.

"He has a lot of issues to sort out and then to focus on what he wants to do with his football career."

However Cartwright had concerns over whether the gifted utility would be ready for the Titans' kick-off against the Dragons at Suncorp on March 18.

"It is a possibility that he could play in our first game, but that would be very tough," he said.

"Mat has been a number of years out of the game and he has missed six weeks of training that we have done.

"There are players that have been here doing the work, so there is a lot to weigh up."

Plenty of people associated with Titans pre-season training have been impressed with the attitude of late squad inclusion Chris Walker.

However the speed machine who has trod a troubled path through several NRL clubs cannot expect a walk-up start into the club's debut team.

"There are a few guys in front of him at the moment," said Cartwright.

"He started late and the pecking order at this stage is that he is probably not in contention for a starting spot, but we have three trials to get through and things can change pretty quickly."

Gold Coast Bulletin
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I'm happy to see Chris Walker coming along, one of my former favourite players.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

The Chris Walker "gamble" as some put it was a great move.

Chris is living with family and the attitude I have seen is only that of a man knowing this is his last chance to make a career in the NRL - he appears to be enjoying the training, looks fit and like Brisbane have done with Justin Hodges, we could reap the rewards.

Critics in the media will only focus on the negatives of a turbulent career, that is their bread and butter for an easy "piece", though the same critics will be the ones lined up for interviews to discuss past and current success on the field if all goes to planned.

Chris has speed, as I like to say, you can't coach that and when "on" both physically and mentally, he is one of the most brilliant attacking weapons in the game. Any old Brisbane Bronco fan will back that claim, he was at times devastating on the end of that Brisbane backline and had many a try feature on "plays of the week".

I think the coaching staff can improve him defensively - this will bring confidence and the rest will look after itself.

Personally, following the year of Chris Walker is something I am looking forward too - I think he can prove a lot of "experts" wrong up North of the border just as his good mate Justin Hodges has.

I'm glad the Chris Walker move is turning out so far to be a good one... He was at one stage scheduled to join the Bulldogs in November of 06, he even was seen at a training session at Belmore... but the board voted against it... which in my opinion at the time was a wise move...

I hope Chris, with his family nearby and a chance to move away from the bigsmoke, yes even Melbourne is the bigsmoke... will now be able to settle down, get back to the lifestyle he enjoyed whilst at the Broncos and get back to playing some great football for the Titans...

I think he knows he is on his last chance, and his attitude seems to show that... lets hope it enables him to produce some of that vintage Walker from the old... because if that happens, then the Titans have picked up a nice handy addition to their side.

The Canterbury Bulldogs made the right move there for mine, putting Walker back in the "big smoke" of Sydney where some of the worst league journalists scavenge (especially around the Belmore club) was a recipe for disaster potentially.

Walker being back with family keeps his feet firmly grounded and I think we will reap the reward for taking a punt on the former Origin representative.

Walker really just needed a club he could truly stick with.
    I think the Titans is a great club for him to play with.
    He has great potential.
    Who knows he may be able to play State of Origin again.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Yes, looks like walker was a good buy()like i expected)

ps. i'm back from holidays happy new year everyone.

Junior Titan

You too

Thumbs up

So the Gold Coast, just down the road from Brisbane, isn't the big smoke? Come on....

I still agree, it'll be a better environment for Chris for a lot of reasons.