Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Cricket: The 2006/2007 Ashes Thread

2006/2007 Ashes Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wont be long now until we see full cricket stadiums, the barmy army, and the ashes back in our hands.

************************************************** **************************************************

Benaud backs battered England
    From correspondents in London
    July 26, 2006

RICHIE Benaud has insisted England can mount a successful defence of the Ashes when it travels to Australia this southern summer, despite its growing injury crisis.

Like minds ... Ponting and Benaud think England strong. Pic: Phil Hillyard

Michael Vaughan, the man who led England to a 2-1 Ashes triumph last year, has already been ruled out of the return series in Australia starting in November because of his long-standing knee injury.

Last week, all rounder and interim captain Andrew Flintoff was sidelined for the rest of the English season with an ankle problem.

He joined fellow Ashes-winning bowlers Simon Jones and Ashley Giles on England's list of long-term casualties along with reserve fast bowler James Anderson.

To make matters worse, today saw Durham paceman Liam Plunkett ruled out of England's second and third Tests at home to Pakistan with a side strain.

But former Australia captain Benaud, arguably now more famous as a commentator and TV pundit than he was as a Test all rounder during the 1950s and 1960s, insisted now was not the time to write off England's chances.

"There is so much time to go between now and the start of the Ashes (at Brisbane's Gabba in November). We are only just half-way through July. (England) might have 12 fit fast bowlers by the time the Ashes start.

"There is no point in anyone panicking. Eighteen months ago, I was saying that if England has a fully fit fast-bowling attack, they can easily regain the Ashes. Everyone laughed at me.

"The fast bowlers were the key then and they still are,'' he also told the London Evening Standard.

But Benaud admitted England would miss Vaughan, as much as for his leadership skills as his batting.

"It's a big blow for England not to have him. He was high-class last year. He had this very good control over the team and when they got into a tough situation he kept the players calm, which is not easy," he said.

Since the Ashes, England has won just two out of the 10 Tests it has contested.

"They made good progress in India, went a bit pear shaped against Sri Lanka. Now they are starting to play better again,'' Benaud said.

"We know already Vaughan is not going to make it but we hope Andrew Flintoff, Simon Jones and Ashley Giles will be there.

"There has been enormous interest back home in the coming series. Ticket sales have been unprecedented and it promises to be a wonderful occasion.

"Home ground advantage is a big thing, although the Test match pitches in England are much more similar to Australia than they used to be."

One of Australia's stars during the last Ashes campaign was leg-spin bowler Shane Warne, who indicated at the time that it would be his final Test tour of England, although he would continue to captain English county Hampshire.

But Benaud said he'd told his fellow leg spinner to reconsider and make sure he was around for the 2009 Ashes series in England.

"When the last ball is bowled he will still only be 39. I said to him, 'You are bowling better than you have done for a considerable amount of time'. He said to me, 'Richie, I will give it some thought'."

As for his own career, Benaud wasn't about to call time on that either.

The 75-year-old is still the cornerstone of Channel 9's commentary team Down Under.

Although his 42 years of broadcasting in England came to an end last year when UK terrestrial station Channel 4 lost broadcast rights to Sky Sports, Benaud continues to write his weekly column for Britain's News Of The World Sunday tabloid.

"I have this year and next year (with Nine) still to do. I don't know what I will do then. It just depends what Channel 9 wants to do."

Agence France-Presse

The only bad thing about the sudden extra popularity of cricket in Australia, is that some full-on and passionate supporters like myself didn't get tickets LOL

The only good thing about the off season of RL....Is the start of the :win: cricket. Hope Flintoff recovers quickly ...And Ritchie ....Love his commentary, great guy urdy:..:win: Keep up the good work

AUSSIES TO WIN NOT ENGLAND.lol

Quote Originally Posted by titansandcowboysfan
    AUSSIES TO WIN NOT ENGLAND.lol
    Aussie Aussie Aussie...:win:

Oi Oi Oi

Titan One Clubman

Richie is just giving English fans false hope, Can't wait to see the 5-0 series result

um yeh id have to say at most 4-1.havent had a cleansweep for decades.

I'm going for a 3-2 win to australia.

Quote Originally Posted by novacastrian_panther
    I'm going for a 3-2 win to australia.
    5-0 for mine...

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

I don't care what the series result ends up, as long as the Poms are thrashed, belted, flogged and the Barmy Army is quietened, i'll be happy.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Junior Titan

I want it to be a good series. Just so happenes that a good series is when those poms are flogged and dont win a game.

LOL - the only thing better than beating the Americans, is beating the Poms - at anything. Cricket is just even more fun!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

England are looking the goods leading into this series... don't write them off yet!

Source: www.foxsports.com.au
    AUSTRALIA and England will start the Ashes series later this year as top two sides in the International Cricket Council Test championship table, the world governing body announced today.

Confirmation that the series will feature the world's two leading Test nations came after England defeated Pakistan by 167 runs in the third Test at Headingley overnight (AEST).

That victory, which ensured England held an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the four-match series, saw the side regain second place in the table from Pakistan.

The gap between England and Australia ahead of the Ashes, which begins in Brisbane on November 23, is still to be decided but it could be as few as 11 rating points if England defeats Pakistan again at The Oval in the fourth Test, starting on August 17, and so claims a 3-0 series victory.

England's series win was its first since defeating Australia 2-1 last year to reclaim The Ashes.

Pakistan had not lost a series since losing all three Tests against Ricky Ponting's side in 2004-2005.

Junior Titan

Go England