Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    Titan Club Captain

now you all know how i felt when ruben, stace, nige AND awen retired last year..

and atleast you people knew before they did it!!!..ruben, nige and awen just like..sprung it on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_The_Doggies
    now you all know how i felt when ruben, stace, nige AND awen retired last year..

and atleast you people knew before they did it!!!..ruben, nige and awen just like..sprung it on us.
    :spit: yea but the difference is that langer mcgrath and warne all came from a winning side!!!! :whatd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :satan: :win: :lol!:

GO THE MAROONS!

I'm REALLY going to miss them :')

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    :spit: yea but the difference is that langer mcgrath and warne all came from a winning side!!!! :whatd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :satan: :win: :lol!:
    Lol just as well they finished winners cause they started in a losing side.

Aussies inflict Ashes whitewash

Adam Cooper

January 05, 2007 11:35am
    Article from: AAP

COURIER MAIL

AUSTRALIA inflicted only the second 5-0 whitewash in an Ashes series after beating England by 10 wickets in the fifth Test at the SCG today.

Australia joined Warwick Armstrong's Australian side of 1920-21 as the only Ashes teams to have made a clean sweep of the old enemy in a five-match series.

Opener Justin Langer, one of three Australian players retiring from Test cricket, embraced batting partner Matthew Hayden after the pair again got the job done. They took Australia to 0-46 and another resounding win.

Australia bowled England out for 147 in its second innings, by taking the last five English wickets in just over an hour today.

Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, who are also now retired from Test cricket, earlier bowled in tandem for one last time, and led the team off the ground with arms aloft after helping bowl England out for 147 in its second innings.

Langer was also honoured, as England's players formed a guard of honour for him as he and Hayden walked out to bat.

McGrath finished with 563 wickets, including one with his final delivery (England No.11 James Anderson), which gave him figures of 3-38. Warne finished with 708 career wickets.

The pair also finished with 1,001 between them from the 104 Tests they played together, a milestone reached when McGrath bowled Sajid Mahmood.

The whitewashed series is Australia's fourth in five-match series in Tests (all at home) and only the ninth in a five-match series in history.

The home side made light work of England's second innings this morning and took five wickets in just over an hour, which set a victory target of 46.

McGrath effectively ended England's resistance when he had Kevin Pietersen caught behind with the third ball of the day, having failed to add to his overnight 29.

As the scoreline suggests, Australia dominated the series from the first morning in Brisbane, and continually seized control in moments where games were up for grabs.

Australia won by 277 runs at the Gabba, won the second Test in Adelaide (six wickets) through a remarkable final-day performance after an even four days, regained the Ashes in Perth with a 206-run win and then crushed England inside three days in Melbourne, where it won by an innings and 99 runs and Warne took his 700th Test wicket.

Australia's victory was also its 12 in succession in Tests, which leaves Steve Waugh's side of 1999-2001, which won 16 Tests straight, as the only side to have won more matches in succession.

That streak is also the perfect send-off for coach John Buchanan, who has now overseen his last Test.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Well what can be said about this but a superb performance by the boys... SIMPLY BRILLIANT...

Picture from: www.cricket.com.au

Well done to Pigeon, sensational way to finish with the last wicket and some awesome bowling to send England capitulating to the end of the plank.

The boys played so well to regain The Ashes over every test match. From day one they were ready to play and their sharpness in the field, with the ball and the bat was superb at all times. They never let the game go off the hook and continued to put the pedal to the mettle right until the very end. This was a well deserved victory and one that should be congratulated for many a time to come, a deserved effort for one of the greatest teams of all time.

It must be said goodbye to Shane, Damo and Justin, and thanks for the memories guys... you have been awesome servants to the game and we will miss you terribly as cricketing fans... thanks for always giving 100% to the Baggy Green and you will always have our respect for what you have done on the pitch.

To Glenn and Buccs.... well the time is almost nigh... we have really enjoyed what you have done and thanks for making the last test a special moment, and we hope you enjoyed it.... I know I did.... wishing you all the best for the ODI's and may it be a fitting farewell to two greats of Australian Cricket, one the coach, one a great bowler.

Well it's all said and done... Amazing cricket and well done to the Aussies for winning 5-0, the first time in 80 years it's been done... GREAT EFFORT AND ENJOY YOUR CELEBRATIONS, because they are throughly deserved...

Finally, how awesome was the part at the end of the match, it brought a tear to my eye, it was that memorable and so special... and congrats to the English for their guard of honour for JL, a true mark of respect that... and another sign of why cricket is a great game...

Captaincy 'would have kept Warne going'

January 5, 2007 - 4:24PM

British TV host Michael Parkinson believes Shane Warne's glorious Test career would not be over if Australia had made him captain.

Parkinson was a keen spectator at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday to see Warne cap his 145-Test career with a standing ovation from adoring fans as Australia claimed a 5-0 Ashes sweep.

Speaking on ABC Radio, Parkinson joined former Australia skipper Ian Chappell in arguing the 37-year-old Victorian would have made a great Test captain.

Warne captained the Australian one-day side 11 times for 10 wins, but was stripped of the Test vice-captaincy in 2000 after a phone-sex scandal with a nurse in Britain.

"I mean, he loves skippering the side and he would have been a very good captain of Australia and I doubt had he had the job that he would be retiring now," Parkinson said.

Former England batsman Allan Lamb said in November that Australia's 2-1 Ashes defeat in 2005 would not have happened if Warne had led the side instead of Ricky Ponting.

While Ponting's captaincy has been widely praised this summer compared to the 2005 Ashes series, it hasn't stopped the likes of Chappell continuing to praise Warne's leadership skills.

"The good thing about Shane Warne, for all the faults that people perceive in him, that he's not a hypocrite," Parkinson said.

"He admits to his faults and ... he will talk about them.

"I have a view that his only obligation is to the audience as an entertainer and a cricketer - and the rest is private.

"But sadly that's not the world we live in."

Parkinson said while Warne was now lost to international cricket, English fans were keen to see the master leg-spinner play for county side Hampshire this year.

"Anybody who loves cricket will go and watch Shane Warne bowl. He really is a treasure," Parkinson added of Test cricket's world record-holder.

"He's a bit like George Best and a bit like Muhammad Ali.

"He's got an extraordinary quality of embracing people who know nothing about the sport."

Parkinson's interview with Warne will be aired on Foxtel's UK TV on Monday night.

"There is the other side to him too which we'll talk about. We have to," Parkinson said of Warne's controversial private life.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Warne was wrongfully denied the captaincy because of an offield thing.
    To me what he does or doesnt do offield has nothing to do with on the field.
    Shouldnt affect his cricket at all.
    It comes down to the media and theyre fansical stories.

Titan First Grade Squad BrisbaneBroncosRule's Avatar

:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: WE CLEAN SWEPT THE ASHES :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

I LOVE MICHEL

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Especially when it's his bedroom habits that the media are crucifying him on. It's not like he has committed assualts..or criminal behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Firstly I Shane Warne is a legend however he doesnt have much going on upstairs which lets him down.

Onfield Scandals: Warne was also apart of the bookmaker scandal that involved Mark Waugh a few years back. Warne was also suspended for 1 year due to use of a banned drug.

Offield Scandals: Warne cheated on his wife, plus many other things.

To put it simply Shane Warne is a great leader BUT not a man that I would like to see lead Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Firstly I Shane Warne is a legend however he doesnt have much going on upstairs which lets him down.

Onfield Scandals: Warne was also apart of the bookmaker scandal that involved Mark Waugh a few years back. Warne was also suspended for 1 year due to use of a banned drug.

Offield Scandals: Warne cheated on his wife, plus many other things.

To put it simply Shane Warne is a great leader BUT not a man that I would like to see lead Australia.
    I forgot about that scandal.
    Fair enough I see what your saying.

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

i miss warnie

Boycott puts boot into 'pathetic' Poms

January 5, 2007 - 7:56PM

Former England captain Geoff Boycott has put the boot into the national team after it slumped to a humiliating 5-0 Ashes defeat at the SCG.

Boycott teed off at the fact that many members of the team had been awarded MBEs for the 2005 Ashes triumph before suffering only the second series whitewash in Ashes history.

The former opener weighed into the debate after Shane Warne sledged Paul Collingwood on Thursday for receiving an MBE for his scores of 10 and seven at The Oval in 2005.

"For 18 years England haven't won ... Australia have been beating England every two years home or away," Boycott said on his BBC podcast.

"Suddenly, when England win, all hell breaks loose. They all get gongs at the palace.

"It just shows how foolish it was when they come out here two years later and are absolutely annihilated.

"I scored 8,000 runs and played a hundred Tests before I got one and what did he (Collingwood) score? Seventeen runs? And the others played five Tests to get one?

"I feel so bad about mine I'm going to tie it around my cat. It's a joke.

"Andrew Flintoff, who's a super player, Marcus Trescothick who's played a lot of Tests and done well, Michael Vaughan as the winning captain. But every Tom, Dick or Harry?"

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY

Wink Aussies Party After Ashes Win

What the Aussies did next

Sydney Confidential

January 06, 2007 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

FORGET stretch limousines. The victorious Ashes team set out on foot to celebrate their historic 5-0 win last night.

But it didn't take long before the team was ensconced in more luxurious surrounds, a group of about 40 players, family and friends partying into the night on board James Packer's 32m Mangusta 107 luxury yacht on Sydney Harbour.

There was no red carpet rolled out as the group left its base at the Quay West apartments. Shane Warne's ex-wife Simone Callahan was at the head of the party as they set off for Pier One while the leg-spinner was toward the rear.

There was little to distinguish the group from any other that might walk Sydney's streets on a Friday evening, save for Glenn McGrath being head and shoulders above the rest with his Baggy Green cap firmly on his head and fellow retiring hero Warne carrying a bat.

As they passed the Harbour View Hotel, one punter bellowed from the balcony: "Good on ya boys, well done."

Adam Gilchrist was the last off the team bus and into the hotel, still in his whites.

With a beer in one hand and shoes in the other, he looked tired and offered a simple: "Yeah, going good."

But after a quick shower and change of clothes he looked refreshed and ready to party.

Michael Clarke had earlier ventured on to the street, talking on his mobile and drinking water. Perhaps he was calling model Lara Bingle, who joined him and Andrew Symonds as the group reached Pier One.

Justin Langer also ventured outside with bottled water in hand, while Warne came out to sign a young fan's bat before retreating back into the hotel.

Langer, Clarke and Warne were wearing a defacto uniform of blue jeans and black shirts.

Former captain Steve Waugh was among the guests.

"It's not every day you win a series 5-0. They've worked hard and been very professional, so they deserve to let their hair down," he said.

The players had stayed in their dressing room at the SCG for six hours.

Making a surprise visit was Damien Martyn, who ended his self-imposed exile when he joined the celebrations.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY