Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy NRL is in trouble Again- Sexual Rape Allegations

NOT AGAIN and especially not before what is looking to be a great finals series.... I am keeping quiet because I know how bad it was for my club, but lets hope the Wests Tigers don't end up with the junk the Bulldogs had to put up with....

Tigers cheer girl in 'drug rape'

September 06, 2006 12:00
    Article from: The Daily Telegraph

POLICE are investigating claims that a cheerleader was raped in an attack at a unit owned by a Wests Tigers player.

The woman, believed to be part of the club's cheer squad, believes she may have been drugged then raped at an apartment block in Abbotsford, Sydney.

But a NSW Police spokeswoman would not confirm a radio report the alleged incident involved first grade players.

The police spokeswoman said a 26-year-old woman told officers she may have been sexually assaulted on Monday at a unit in Five Dock, in Sydney's inner west.

"Detectives from the Child Protection and Sex Crimes Squad and Burwood Local Area Command are investigating an alleged sex assault at Five Dock on Monday,'' she said.

"At 10.40am on Monday, a 26-year-old female attended Parramatta police station and alleged that she may have been sexually assaulted at a home unit in Five Dock.''

Questioned about her use of the words "may have been sexually assaulted'', the police spokesman stood by the formulation used.

It is believed to refer to concerns the woman had been drugged - and that details were therefore unclear.

Wests Tigers Chief Executive Steve Noyce has confirmed the woman had made the allegation that she may have been sexually assaulted on early Monday morning ?at a place where both Wests Tigers players and others were present??.

?We are not aware at this stage of any specific allegation against a Wests Tigers player and the Club is very keen to work with the police to establish what may or may not have taken place,?? said Mr Noyce.

The claim that the attack involved first grade players was made by 2GB presenter Ray Hadley.

"A club involved in the NRL is currently investigating allegations of a rape involving a number of first grade players,'' Mr Hadley said.

"I've had two different sources from the NRL confirm that they have been advised by the club that police are investigating allegations that a young woman claims she was sexually assaulted last night.''

"The club at this time is meeting behind closed doors to discuss exactly what they will do in relation to all the media inquiries they are getting.''

Not good. But nor is bloody Ray Hadley! This bloke will take anything anyone says and make into fact.

Just a reminder for people not to name names or to speculate.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

i'm pretty angry about this.

our game can't afford any more of these scandals. i'm just sick of it.

Titan One Clubman

Mad Monday? Tigers didn't exactyl have a lot to celebrate...

I very much doubt this story.
    yet another person taking advantage of the NRL's fragile position on controlling players and their actions.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

This to be honest has many holes in the story, i will just wait and see, i think the investigation will lead to false accuastaion and the good name of our game will stay.

My tip for all: resist the urge to speculate or dismiss the allegation until more details are released.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    My tip for all: resist the urge to speculate or dismiss the allegation until more details are released.
    Hey Deegan,

Totally agree with your comment there, but you can't help but get fired up when The Daily Telegraph run a backpage title of "Tigers gang rape claim" , and than fail to report how the 'gang' in the title realtes to the story.

Okay, none of us know the details of the story, but just because a group of footy players are having an end of season party, and an unfortunate, alleged incident like the woman is claiming may or may not have happened, does not mean that she immediately has been gang raped.

Listening to the Telegraphs editor the other night at the Dally M awards, he stated that 'his paper enjoys a close relationship with the game of rugby league', yet the next day he approves a potentailly damaging title which includes 'gang rape' in the hope to sell more newspapers.

The article does not mention gang rape once, and yet he feels justified to sensationalise the disturbing story. I am just amazed by the increase in sensationalised stories with no journalistic merit or fact that are continually being allowed to hit the news stand each week. And the worst thing is that the majority of the public only read these titles and decide and embellish on them, without reading the corresponding story.

By all means, print 'Tigers rape claim' but do you really need the 'gang' part in it, especially this early in investigations?

For those of you who missed the story, click on the link below -

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

I am not condoning the shocking act that the woman is claiming, but don't sensationalise somemone elses misfortune.

Just my thoughts,

Parra Petty.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

The fact that the woman says she "thinks" she was raped, was enough for me. This woman ought to crawl back under the rock she came from if this story is false.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Tigers go to ground over rape claims
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 7:41 PM

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce says it is too early to say if players will make themselves available for forensic testing over allegations a young woman may have been raped at a player's apartment.

A 26-year-old woman has told police she may have been drugged and raped at the Five Dock apartment of Tigers player Ryan O'Hara on Monday morning, although the player has not been implicated in the case.

Police have taken bed linen for forensic testing and told Noyce they would contact him "in the next couple of days."

Asked if the Tigers players partying at O'Hara's unit early on Monday morning would volunteer themselves for forensic testing to prove their innocence, Noyce said it was too early to make that decision.

"You're on about stage five of the process and we are all on stage one," said Noyce.

"With respect you're just getting ahead of where we are at the moment."

The police would not comment on the case, however an unnamed witness told Network Seven he complained to police about the noise being caused in the William Street apartment but wasn't aware if any action was taken by authorities.

"It woke everyone up between the hours of three and five in the morning with screaming and yelling and a person sounded in distress," he said.

"To the best of my knowledge they (police) did not turn up and from there things escalated.

"The young woman, possibly mid 20s was quite distressed. The person involved did not look too happy either."

Noyce spoke to the players who were partying at the unit at the time, but none had sought specific advice at this stage.

He advised the players to refrain from talking to the media.

"Short cutting it is not going to help anyone," he said.

"The players are aware that as CEO of the club it is my responsibility to talk to the media and I have made myself available to anyone and will continue to do so.

"(I have had) general discussions with the players in terms of communicating with the guys exactly what's happening with a police investigation underway.

"We need to respect that process, but obviously they're aware that I'm attempting to be as open and honest as I can be.

"As things happen if they need someone to talk to about any issues I am available to them."

Sydney Promotional Dancers coordinator Lisa Ince, who oversees three NRL cheer squads, confirmed the woman was not a cheerleader.

"The girl allegedly involved in the incident is not a Wests Tigers cheerleader," she said, declining to comment further.

When asked if the woman belonged to another cheer squad, she replied: "She is not part of any NRL squad".

Cheerleaders are not allowed to fraternise with players and have been sacked in the past for doing so.

Meanwhile South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson confronted rumours Rabbitohs may have been involved or present on Monday by asking his players upfront.

"I am not aware of any South Sydney players being there, no person has rung me, no policeman no anything whatsoever," Richardson said.

"There's not even a hint (our players were involved). I've obviously rung up a few players and they've said `no Richo'.

"I spoke to a couple of the players and they know nothing to the contrary at all.

"I only did that because I thought I had better check and make sure.

"But I've nothing to gauge that on at all."

Source: AAP

Home ? Sport ? League ? Article
    League date-rape claim hinges on drug result
    Email Print Normal font Large font Jacquelin Magnay
    September 8, 2006

Advertisement
    AdvertisementA WESTS TIGERS rugby league player has told teammates he was intimately involved with a 26-year-old woman who has made allegations of a possible drugged rape to police.

It now appears that any possible criminal case, and the severity of it, hinges on the presence, or otherwise, of any date rape drug in a urine sample provided by the woman.

The Herald understands that no one apart from the one player at the party - held at the home of Ryan O'Hara in Five Dock early on Monday morning and attended by about 20 other players and non-players - was involved with the woman.

The player's version of events has eased initial concerns of league officials that the alleged possible sexual assault may have involved more than one player.

The player - who is not O'Hara - has told teammates that he had sex with the woman but that it was consensual. It is understood others at the party may not have witnessed the two together, with others in the room saying they were asleep at the time.

The woman, who had met the player at a Kings Cross nightclub, had partied with the Wests Tigers group of players and then travelled to O'Hara's apartment separately in a taxi.

A NSW police spokeswoman said inquiries were continuing.

As yet no players have been interviewed by police, who are awaiting forensic results from evidence taken from the unit and from the woman. None of the players has yet engaged a lawyer. The Wests Tigers chief executive, Steve Noyce, said the police had told him that they would contact him in a couple of days. He said the club was trying to maintain normality, with scheduled weight training continuing three times a week.

"We are keeping a business-as-usual approach, they will continue to train," Mr Noyce said.

Hmmmm, the story sure is a whole lot different today. Sad that the media seemed to have totally blown this story out of proportion from the word go without any real details and fact to go by. These players have now had their names tarnished and after reading this new article, it seems for no reason. I just hope the truth comes out in the end and we are not left still speculating about it months after like what happened with the Bulldogs case.
    :beer: :naughty:

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

The headline in one of the papers is just atrocious. The one that read 'TIGERS GANG RAPE'. The club should sue them for all their worth, how is that not massive slander?

somehow i think this story is dine with by the look of things no players have done anything wrong but congrats to the Daily Telegraph for putting league back in the headlines for the wrong reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    The headline in one of the papers is just atrocious. The one that read 'TIGERS GANG RAPE'. The club should sue them for all their worth, how is that not massive slander?
    LOL Steve, do you remember the Bulldogs though in 2004, it was much worse... we got SCUM OF THE LEAGUE and BELMORE RAPE REFLECTS LEBANESE SOCIETY...

This is the reason why most Bulldogs fans dislike the Telegraph with a severe passion now, and I am sure most Tigers fans will too once this is finished... they create headlines like that to sell papers, but they don't think about how it will affect the club.

I really feel sorry for the Tigers, as I know what its like, I hope some of their fans now realise why we get so annoyed at them at games for calling us the things they do sometimes, because when it is all just allegations, its hurtful to the club, its players and its fans.

It's sad that things like this occur and until the truth comes out and things are actually confirmed by police, I wish the media would just not print things that accuse and place blame, but sadly, its what sells the papers.
    Last edited by Titanium_BD1103; 08-09-06 at 12:09 PM.