NOT AGAIN and especially not before what is looking to be a great finals series.... I am keeping quiet because I know how bad it was for my club, but lets hope the Wests Tigers don't end up with the junk the Bulldogs had to put up with....

Tigers cheer girl in 'drug rape'

September 06, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

POLICE are investigating claims that a cheerleader was raped in an attack at a unit owned by a Wests Tigers player.

The woman, believed to be part of the club's cheer squad, believes she may have been drugged then raped at an apartment block in Abbotsford, Sydney.

But a NSW Police spokeswoman would not confirm a radio report the alleged incident involved first grade players.

The police spokeswoman said a 26-year-old woman told officers she may have been sexually assaulted on Monday at a unit in Five Dock, in Sydney's inner west.

"Detectives from the Child Protection and Sex Crimes Squad and Burwood Local Area Command are investigating an alleged sex assault at Five Dock on Monday,'' she said.

"At 10.40am on Monday, a 26-year-old female attended Parramatta police station and alleged that she may have been sexually assaulted at a home unit in Five Dock.''

Questioned about her use of the words "may have been sexually assaulted'', the police spokesman stood by the formulation used.

It is believed to refer to concerns the woman had been drugged - and that details were therefore unclear.

Wests Tigers Chief Executive Steve Noyce has confirmed the woman had made the allegation that she may have been sexually assaulted on early Monday morning ?at a place where both Wests Tigers players and others were present??.

?We are not aware at this stage of any specific allegation against a Wests Tigers player and the Club is very keen to work with the police to establish what may or may not have taken place,?? said Mr Noyce.

The claim that the attack involved first grade players was made by 2GB presenter Ray Hadley.

"A club involved in the NRL is currently investigating allegations of a rape involving a number of first grade players,'' Mr Hadley said.

"I've had two different sources from the NRL confirm that they have been advised by the club that police are investigating allegations that a young woman claims she was sexually assaulted last night.''

"The club at this time is meeting behind closed doors to discuss exactly what they will do in relation to all the media inquiries they are getting.''