Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    The Titans aren't pushing Rogers to get a release, the Titans have said that if Rogers wants out, and the ARU lets him go, then the Titans will be happy to accomodate for him.

i did say Titans FANS, just on that though, is there any officials from the Titans on this site ? if so who are they ? i know the site is not run by the Titans but it would be good to know if there is someone from the Titans management on the site. :hi:

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    PAP if your gonna make generalisations about players be prepared to get a response

i was expecting a response, just not the one you gave me, all is cool though, thats what this forumis about, we live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    i know the site is not run by the Titans but it would be good to know if there is someone from the Titans management on the site. :hi:
    This site IS actually run by the Titans

I know DeeGan has some sort of connection with Titans HQ (at the least)...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Ale Panther
    i did say Titans FANS, just on that though, is there any officials from the Titans on this site ? if so who are they ? i know the site is not run by the Titans but it would be good to know if there is someone from the Titans management on the site. :hi:
    This site is run by the Gold Coast Titans.

I guess it is not really important when asking "are there any officials from the Titans on this site?"

What I will say is this: Michael (Searle), Ian (Buchanan), Cameron (Murray) and Chris (Knell) read this forum daily looking to gauge fan opinion in relation to the Gold Coast Titans and all topics dealing with the NRL and rugby league.

Regards,

Fox Sports
    League
    Rogers ready to join Titans

December 12, 2006

GOLD Coast Titans are ready to pounce on Mat Rogers with the ARU expected to release the star back from the final year of his contract as early as today.

The move should end a painful off-season for Melbourne Storm wing Steve Turner as the Titans look to free funds to fit Rogers under the salary cap.

The ARU yesterday confirmed Rogers will meet with Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie at NSW headquarters today, where the dual international is expected to convey to him he no longer wants to play rugby.

Rogers will then meet ARU officials tomorrow and ask to be released from the final year of his contract on compassionate grounds.

ARU boss Gary Flowers yesterday said Rogers had a case for being granted a release.

"The ARU wants players who pull on the Wallabies jersey to wear it with pride and respect," he said. "There are a number of factors that might not allow Mat Rogers to do that, but I can not comment on what they are."

Gold Coast boss Michael Searle said the Titans would offer Rogers a contract if the ARU released him.

"Obviously Mat will be with us in 2008," he said.

"It would make sense to have him here for 2007 too. We will sit down and talk to him if he is released."

Turner's manager David Riolo is hopeful a Rogers move to the Gold Coast will end the tug of war over his client.

"It would make sense for them to release Steve if they sign Mat," he said. :beer:
    Last edited by jenny; 12-12-06 at 08:55 AM.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    This site is run by the Gold Coast Titans.

I guess it is not really important when asking "are there any officials from the Titans on this site?"

What I will say is this: Michael (Searle), Ian (Buchanan), Cameron (Murray) and Chris (Knell) read this forum daily looking to gauge fan opinion in relation to the Gold Coast Titans and all topics dealing with the NRL and rugby league.

Regards,

i just went by the front page of the forum wich says "it is run by a group of dedicated fans" and "it is not maintained or controlled by the Gold Coast Titans" i know on some other NRL sites the Club control every aspect of the forum, it is therefore heavily moderated, the Administrators and some moderaters work in the media section at that club so there posts are taken as correct. just wanted to know if there was posters here who work for the Titans so we know who to direct cirtain questions to.

You can direct questions to myself.

Let's get the thread back on track, this all could of been queried in a PM or email.

Regards,

Default Comeon Matt...bring It On Home :-)

Rogers' league switch likely this week

The Age

December 12, 2006 - 7:20PM
    :win:

Mat Rogers' early release date from rugby union is set down for Thursday.

Rogers, desperate to return to rugby league, will meet with NSW Waratahs officials on Wednesday before making final contractual arrangements with the Australian Rugby Union the following day.

On Wednesday, the ARU will announce Thursday's three-cornered midday meeting with Rogers and the NSWRU to be followed by a media conference.

The Gold Coast Titans are poised to swoop on the disgruntled Wallabies utility once an expected announcement is made public.

On Tuesday, Rogers made his first contact with the ARU since the national body gave him a week to consider his future after reports broke he wanted to return to league.

An ARU spokesman confirmed the ARU was looking for a quick resolution after the 45-Test back last week asked for a release from his $500,000-a-season deal.

"As it's all been played out in the media there's probably no big surprise where it will end," he said.

As the Waratahs are not expected to stand in Rogers' way if he maintains his desire for a premature second code switch, the Titans have readied themselves to have their prize 2008 recruit on the tourist strip a year earlier.

"Yes, we want him and, yes, he will be a fantastic addition to our squad but his contractual arrangements with the ARU and NSW Rugby Union need to be clarified before we can make any moves at all," said Titans boss Michael Searle.

"It will be safe to say we'll be contacting him as soon as he's released, if that's what happens."

Searle says there's enough room to squeeze the dual international into the salary cap but the Titans will not free up funds by allowing signing Steve Turner to remain with Melbourne.

It's seen as two separate issues by the fledgling league club and Searle is continuing attempts to resolve Turner's non-compliance.

A high-level ARU source told AAP on Tuesday that Rogers' return to league was as much about money as family reasons and had been made easier through payments from a third party sponsor.

Rogers' older brother Don was reportedly released from hospital on Tuesday after a drug overdose last week.

While the Rugby Union Players' Association and some rugby heavyweights want to see the 30-year-old play out his contract, former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones indicated the ARU shouldn't have hesitated in releasing him immediately.

"If a player is vacillating about his intentions then we should be decisive," Jones said.

"I don't think we should be desperate to hang on to players if they don't want to be here.

"Let's be strong enough in the belief we can maintain our game."

Jones, who ushered Rogers into the Test team in 2002 and played him at five-eighth with success in the 2005 European tour, felt the utility wouldn't be effective at the 2007 World Cup.

"It's very difficult if his mind is somewhere else and I think that showed in the games that he played on the (recent European) tour," he said.

Even if a hungry Rogers remains in the code, Jones said incumbent playmaker Stephen Larkham would receive more pressure from a host of young guns led by Queensland flyhalf Berrick Barnes.

Reds coach Jones has huge wraps on Barnes' understudy Quade Cooper, who he rates as good as fellow schoolboy sensation Kurtley Beale, who now has the inside running to wear NSW's No.10 jersey.

"I think Beale will start (for NSW) and I'll be very surprised if Quade isn't competing very hard with Berrick," he said.
    Last edited by jenny; 12-12-06 at 07:37 PM.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Titan First Grade Regular

SOunds Promising - nice work, hope to see him here next year
    [

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Rogers to quit union tomorrow

Unsettled Wallabies and Waratahs utility back Mat Rogers will walk away from his lucrative rugby union career tomorrow, senior union administrators have confirmed.

The New South Wales and Australian Rugby Unions say they will release Rogers from his contract on Thursday to allow him to move to new National Rugby League side the Gold Coast Titans.

Former league star Rogers had signed to play for the Titans from 2008, but then decided he wanted to end his time in the 15-man code a year early.

The decision means he has turned his back on a potential Wallabies swansong at next year's World Cup in France.

New South Wales Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neil said his organisation would not stop the dual international quitting.

"Mat's put his case to us and he's got special circumstances there," he said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said he was resigned to Rogers' departure.

"If you look at the way things have panned out, we haven't got a final decision but you'd say it's looking pretty unlikely (that he will stay)," he said.

"If Mat goes then so be it, we'll move on and come up with another option."
    http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200612/s1810477.htm

great news

Ok I have kept my nose out of this because to me it's sort of a 50/50, I mean I would love to have seen Mat stay with the Waratahs and help us get a Super 14 Championship trophy in 2007, but at the same time I'd love to see Mat in a Titans Jersey and playing league and getting some ball in 2007...

Well I don't know the reasoning but it sounds like the ARU are ready to release Rogers on compassionate grounds as the article Steve posted says, and if they are willing to do that, the reasons including the ones we are aware of such as the life issues involving his brother Don and his need to be closer to family should be respected by all in the sporting community and as Ewen McKenzie The Waratahs Coach said on Ten Sport, wish Mat all the best without pettiness and anger at him leaving a year early.

I wish Mat all the best at the Titans as from what I have heard not just in the news but from other areas as well, it sounds like Mat will be free to be a Gold Coast Titan by Friday...

Media Release re: Matt Rogers

Pending the outcome of a scheduled meeting tomorrow between current Wallaby Utility Mat Rogers, the New South Wales Waratahs and the Australian Rugby Union, Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle this afternoon announced that the Gold Coast Club would not be looking to enter into immediate negotiations with Rogers who is already contracted to the new NRL franchise for season 2008.

?On reflection of Mat's situation and taking into account recent circumstances, we feel that it is in the best interest of all concerned that Mat be given sufficient time to deal with his personal and family issues before he contemplates the next phase of his sporting career and a return to Rugby League.?

Searle said the Jetstar Titans would not seek to secure Mat's signature, making him eligible for the Jetstar Titans debut season until after the Christmas break, ensuring the former State of Origin and Test star would be fresh and ready to resume training with his new team mates in January, should those negotiations prove successful.

Source: www.titans.com.au
    Good move from the club all things considered.

Very good move by the club and it shows the professional but caring attitude the Titans have to everything, which is very important when you are running a sporting team..

I think it's most important Rogers deals with whatever issues there are surrounding his family and is happy with how everything in life is going and then worries about football.. football might be important, but happiness in all aspects of life is the most important thing to anyone IMO.... I know it is for me...

Well done to the GC on another very sensible decision, showing that this side is ready for whatever comes at them in 2007 and beyond.

As much as Mat Rogers playing for the Titans in 07 sounds we should give him time that he needs to deal with other issues surrounding himself.