Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

yep fantastic luv to see rogers in action for da titans. Just wish it was sooner

Mat Rogers is coming home to the NRL as a Titan.
    Rugby League and Union dual international Mat Rogers has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

The former Cronulla Sharks and current Australian Wallabies star will finalise his contract with the Australian Rugby Union in 2007 before returning to the NRL and the Gold Coast Titans along with his family, model and TV presenter Chloe Maxwell and their son Max.

Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle says the signing of Rogers is a massive coup, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for the NRL and the entire Gold Coast Community. ?Having that star factor plays an enormous role, not only in attracting new sponsors but in generating huge excitement throughout the community.?

?Mat Rogers will be a huge drawcard for the Titans during our first season at Robina Stadium in 2008 and I look forward to his arrival.?

?This club is determined to compete on all levels be that commercial or on the playing field and Mat will provide international star attraction to our team and add another dimension to our backline.?

Equally as comfortable as an outside back or in the halves, Rogers has been signed as a running back for the Titans in 2008. ?To his credit he could have secured a far greater financial contract by staying in rugby union but he firmly believes he has outstanding business in our game that he wants to resolve and we have no doubt that he will once again prove to be a potent strike weapon when he returns to the NRL.

?We look forward to welcoming Mat his partner Chloe Maxwell and their son Jack, Skyla and Max to the Gold Coast and our club in 2008.

This is another announcement that should excite our fans and the whole of the rugby league community as we work towards kick off in 2007. ?

?Having a rugby league and union dual international of Mat Rogers calibre playing in the National Rugby League again is a coup not only for the Gold Coast Titans but for the National Rugby League.?

While he won?t see Mat until the 2008 season, Coach John Cartwright says securing the signature of a player like Mat Rogers will be a huge boost to the entire squad. ?Mat is an exceptional talent and I am thrilled that we have continued to attract some of the sports biggest names north to the Titans. Wherever Mat slots into the backline in 2008, one thing is for sure, he will create more than a few head aches for his rivals and plenty of scoring opportunities for his team mates, it will be a pleasure to have him on board.?

NRL CEO David Gallop congratulated the Titans on their efforts assisting a great rugby league name to return to the National Rugby League. ?The Titans have already shown they are out to make an impact in 2007 and the fact they are planning beyond that even now, underlines just how committed they are.?

?Certainly this is a signing that will make everyone sit up and take notice of the Gold Coast and it will be fantastic to see Mat resume his National Rugby League career in our Centenary year.?

Mat Rogers Fact File

Mat Rogers and his family have a long association with the Gold Coast.

Mat attended TSS, The Southport School and his late and legendary father, Steve Rogers played for the Southport Tigers where he won a Premiership in 1972. He was also Captain Coach at Nerang for a short period before moving to play with Cronulla in 1972.

Name Mat Rogers
    Born February 1 1976
    Place of Birth Sydney
    School TSS, The Southport School, Gold Coast
    Playing History
    Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union International.
    Cronulla Sharks 1995-2001
    5 Games Queensland State of Origin team
    11 Tests Australian Kangaroos Rugby League Team
    New South Wales Waratahs Super 14 side 2002
    Australian Wallabies Rugby Union team, debut 2002 v France,
    41 caps for the Wallabies, Points 158 (13t, 27c, 13p)

www.titans.com.au

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! best signing so far well done Titans i cant wait for 08 & we might even have Fielden as well what team (That's my TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) cya

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander

Seeing the entire team kit like that is really impressive. it looks awesome, and very 'gold coasty'.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    Seeing the entire team kit like that is really impressive. it looks awesome, and very 'gold coasty'.
    yeah i know. It will look even better when it has sponsors on it
    "Go the Titans"

awesome news, i was so stoked when i heard this....

rogers will be great in any position he plays, personally though i think he should be in the halfs or fullback.

hes been playing great for the wallabies of late, even though he is on the bench most of the time.

he played fly half for the wallabies whilest larkham was off, he played quite well in that position and he will gel straight into the half position in league.

mmm... such good news for the titans and hopefully queensland :P

maybe he will get a new tatoo with the titans logo? haha

Junior Titan

Rogers Back Where he Belongs
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:04 PM

Dual International Mat Rogers has received support from numerous quarters with the news he will switch back to rugby league following the rugby world cup and test coach Ricky Stuart believes he could wear the Green and Gold of the Kangaroos once more.

Rogers has agreed to a 2 year deal with the new franchise for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Putting the Kangaroos train on squad through their paces this morning Australian coach Ricky Stuart said the return of Rogers is excellent news.

?I think it?s terrific for the game. I think he?s a terrific signing for the Gold Coast. Carty (Titans coach John Cartwright) is one step ahead of everyone it?s good for rugby league, he?s a great talent and he belongs in our game.?

Stuart also believes Rogers will still have an opportunity to play for Australia again in the 13 man code.

?Absolutely, he?ll certainly have what it takes to make first grade. What happens after that is up to Mat Rogers and what he shows on the field.?

Gold Coast bound halfback Scott Prince is another who was thrilled to learn the news of Rogers returning to the fold.

?I reckon it?s a great signing. I spoke to Scott Sattler (Titans football manager) he?s very keen on getting Mat there and I think it?s great for the club and great for me personally.

I know he brings a lot of experience not only in rugby league but he?s a dual International and it?s pretty hard to find that experience now.?

Prince doesn?t think Rogers will be past his best despite the fact he will be 32 when he joins the Titans.

?There?s talk that he?s a bit old but he hasn?t played a lot of games in rugby and it?s nothing like the workload of rugby league with the amount of games we play in a year and even with that he?s suffered some injuries and missed a lot of football.

So he?s a very good buy and I can?t wait to be associated with it.?

The Gold Coast has also been mentioned as a possibility if Lote Tuqiri was also to switch back to rugby league but Prince thinks he might be a tough goal to achieve.

?He?d be a great buy if we could get him, but the money will run out somewhere and it won?t be cheap getting Lote there too.?

Source: NRL
    "Go the Titans"

This is a great signing for the club. Matt Rogers, dual international, will make an impact again in the NRL competition even at the age of 32. I remember when Jason Smith and Matt Adamson came back from the UK where they were written off as has beens and both had great seasons. Jason Smith is still playing great footy today.

Rogers has been away from the game and despite the injuries, he has not played a whole of football if you compare it to the modern day league representative - look at Minichiello for example, his games played over the last five years along with Buderus shadows the possible games (that being, games Rogers could have played if not for injury) played by Rogers.

We will have a 32 y.o. who won't feel like the 32 y.o. man he is.

Will he play rep footy? No.

Rogers has made it known he has not intention of playing rep football for Queensland or Australia though if he is put on the spot in '08, I guess that can change.

Where will he play for the Titans? He won't be stuck on the wing I assure you. He left league as he was not given the chance to play off the wing, he ain't coming back to the game to sit on the wing. He will play one of either (or all at some stage); fullback, centre or five-eight. He may free up Preston to become an impact player from the bench.

GREAT NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Where will he play for the Titans? He won't be stuck on the wing I assure you. He left league as he was not given the chance to play off the wing, he ain't coming back to the game to sit on the wing. He will play one of either (or all at some stage); fullback, centre or five-eight. He may free up Preston to become an impact player from the bench.
    I think fullback or 5/8. He'd be wasted anywhere else. While Campbell is a tricky little bugger and can pull off some amazing things in attack, he's a midget and Rogers would be much better served playing 5/8 and Campbell coming off the bench to spark the team. If not that, then upset Turner and the pom and put in fullback and play him like Hodgson does at the Tigers, like a second 5/8.

What an awesome signing!
    2008 backline: Rogers, Turner, Mathers, Webster, Carney, Campbell, Prince
    Thats just about the best backline in the comp

anyone see the news how good was the entrance with all the smoke and then the curtains coming back to reveal matty standing the old goose bumps popped up

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    Rogers Back Where he Belongs
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:04 PM

Dual International Mat Rogers has received support from numerous quarters with the news he will switch back to rugby league following the rugby world cup and test coach Ricky Stuart believes he could wear the Green and Gold of the Kangaroos once more.

Rogers has agreed to a 2 year deal with the new franchise for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Putting the Kangaroos train on squad through their paces this morning Australian coach Ricky Stuart said the return of Rogers is excellent news.

?I think it?s terrific for the game. I think he?s a terrific signing for the Gold Coast. Carty (Titans coach John Cartwright) is one step ahead of everyone it?s good for rugby league, he?s a great talent and he belongs in our game.?

Stuart also believes Rogers will still have an opportunity to play for Australia again in the 13 man code.

?Absolutely, he?ll certainly have what it takes to make first grade. What happens after that is up to Mat Rogers and what he shows on the field.?

Gold Coast bound halfback Scott Prince is another who was thrilled to learn the news of Rogers returning to the fold.

?I reckon it?s a great signing. I spoke to Scott Sattler (Titans football manager) he?s very keen on getting Mat there and I think it?s great for the club and great for me personally.

I know he brings a lot of experience not only in rugby league but he?s a dual International and it?s pretty hard to find that experience now.?

Prince doesn?t think Rogers will be past his best despite the fact he will be 32 when he joins the Titans.

?There?s talk that he?s a bit old but he hasn?t played a lot of games in rugby and it?s nothing like the workload of rugby league with the amount of games we play in a year and even with that he?s suffered some injuries and missed a lot of football.

So he?s a very good buy and I can?t wait to be associated with it.?

The Gold Coast has also been mentioned as a possibility if Lote Tuqiri was also to switch back to rugby league but Prince thinks he might be a tough goal to achieve.

?He?d be a great buy if we could get him, but the money will run out somewhere and it won?t be cheap getting Lote there too.?

Source: NRL
    i already posted that one grimmace
    "Go the Titans"

Great signing for the Titans.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

This is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by jake86
    What an awesome signing!
    2008 backline: Rogers, Turner, Mathers, Webster, Carney, Campbell, Prince
    Thats just about the best backline in the comp
    Jake,
    Your not far off the mark there.

It's a bit disappointing knowing Rogers is coming to the Titans but not in 2007.