Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Sharks chase lost son

I just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by news.com.au
    Sharks chase lost son
    January 9, 2007
    Josh Massoud

CRONULLA last night flagged an audacious bid to lure favourite son Mat Rogers back from the Gold Coast following the resignation of Darren Albert.

Reeling yesterday from Albert's decision to walk out in pursuit of a British-based love interest, Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce said he was willing to explore the possibility of Rogers filling the sudden hole next season. "We'll get over Alby first and then I'll have a chat to (coach) Ricky Stuart and see what he thinks," Pierce said.

"There are not many experienced outside backs going around now.

"I've always got on well with Mat and I'm happy to ring him if Ricky wants me to."

Rogers's former NRL club, however, would face an uphill battle for his services against new franchise the Gold Coast Titans.

After securing a release from the ARU last month, the ex-Wallaby shifted his young family to Queensland just over a week ago in what most considered a surefire sign he would join the Titans in 2007.

The 30-year-old has also moved to enrol his son into his former boarding school, The Southport School.

Already contracted to the Gold Coast from 2008, Rogers cited a need to start afresh outside Sydney as one of the main reasons for walking away from rugby a year early.

Starting with the death of his father Steve last January, he has endured a traumatic year that culminated when brother Don tried to take his own life last month.

Despite taking up residence on the Gold Coast, Rogers remains a free agent for the coming season.

He could not be contacted for comment yesterday.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle said last night he was confident of finalising a bridging deal early next week.

Asked if Rogers's signature was a done deal, Searle replied: "We don't have to lock him up in a dark room with a lamp and get him to sign a contract.

"We have sort of spoken about where we are at, but haven't executed a deal yet."

Pierce acknowledged Cronulla would start at long odds to tempt Rogers into a return.

However, Albert's sudden departure has given the Sharks some added bargaining power ? believed to be about $150,000 ? under this year's salary cap.

"I haven't talked to the coach about Mat, because based on what people have told me he wants to get out of Sydney and start a new life," Pierce said.

Albert walked into Pierce office around lunchtime to announce he was headed to England immediately.

"It seemed football defintely wasn't the first thing on his mind," Pierce said.

While they did not attempt to stop Albert from leaving, the Sharks have not granted him a release either ? leaving the outside back unable to play for a rival NRL club should he return to Australia.

The 30-year-old is understood to have quit to be by the side of a girlfriend in England, with whom he spent the entire off-season.

Albert's manager, Gavin Orr, stressed his client had "no issue" with Cronulla cocahing stff, officials or players.

"He was very apologetic for leaving at such short notice and wishes the Sharks every success for the upcoming season," Orr added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Nothing in Gold Coast papers yet

Shouldn't Greg Pierce has spoken to Ricky Stuart & Matt first before making his intentions public?

It sounds like Matt is getting pretty settled in here so I think we'll be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Titan
    Shouldn't Greg Pierce has spoken to Ricky Stuart & Matt first before making his intentions public?

It sounds like Matt is getting pretty settled in here so I think we'll be safe.
    I agree. Greg shouldn't have opened his mouth publicly on the matter. The way his comments were made though makes me think a reporter has said "any intentions of trying to get Mat Rogers now that Darren has left?" and instead of thinking before speaking, he's just run off at the mouth.

Junior Titan

it sounds like grimace is a closet journalist. attacking them ties knots in his pink knickers.

Quote Originally Posted by f.d
    it sounds like grimace is a closet journalist. attacking them ties knots in his pink knickers.
    Wow. Of all the things you could have written for your debut post on the Titans forums and you come up with this pearler.

Atleast it can only get better, I suppose.

Titan First Grade Regular

:rotflmao:

CS - play nice with the new kid, now.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Wow. Of all the things you could have written for your debut post on the Titans forums and you come up with this pearler.

Atleast it can only get better, I suppose.
    Promise of things to come

Junior Titan

this is a forum. censorship has no place. i AM new here but not to life. journalists along with professional sport players are only as good as their last article, or performance. i'm sure grimace was not entirely upset. i was merely reflecting the same situation back to him. writing something derogatory for no reason other than to illicit a response. matt rogers will certainly not be offended by comments from a sports journalist. i hope no-one will be offended by my next comment. "i am the titans biggest fan." look forward to some healthy banter.

Titan First Grade Squad PROMETHEUS's Avatar

this is a forum. censorship has no place. i AM new here but not to life. journalists along with professional sport players are only as good as their last article, or performance. i'm sure grimace was not entirely upset. i was merely reflecting the same situation back to him. writing something derogatory for no reason other than to illicit a response. matt rogers will certainly not be offended by comments from a sports journalist. i hope no-one will be offended by my next comment. "i am the titans biggest fan." look forward to some healthy banter.
    Proof 12 year olds shouldnt be allowed near keyboards..

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
    Proof 12 year olds shouldnt be allowed near keyboards..
    A typical 12 year old would'nt use such words, though, unless hes like, you know, A NERD

Back On Topic Time!
    [

Junior Titan

very diplomatic future star. you have talent.

Since when am i a journalist,its news to me.

Im also interested in this 'deragtory' comment i made can you please quote it for me

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmace
    Guys and Girls,

You can all be critical of all medias articles but when your turn them into personal attacks of the journalists is not on.

We are an official forum therefore we have outsiders i.e Media who read the forum.

Just keep this in mind for next time
    why would you defend a journalist. he can write what he wants but we can't.
    if he's reading then good. he's learnt that we like rogers and we don't like him.
    did he think, geez i better not write that cause people might read it. i doubt that.
    you're asking people to censor their opinions.
    i made the derogatory comment, reflecting the situation of daley about rogers and was putting it on you. daring you to attack me after what i had written.
    but that was 4 days ago now i'm over it.

Junior Titan Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan's Avatar

So F.D. just out of wonder, you aren't 12 really are you?

How old are you REALLY?

GO COWBOYS, TITANS, BUNNIES AND MAROONS!