Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Jake,
    Your not far off the mark there.

It's a bit disappointing knowing Rogers is coming to the Titans but not in 2007.
    I know

when i first heard about this, i thought he was coming in '07

We will have a pretty awesome side next year too though

He looks so old , how old is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzr
    He looks so old , how old is he?
    32 I think...he will be in his prime in 2008

Junior Titan

I think its still a very good side for next season anywayz guys. And in 2008, shift Turner to fullback and pop Richie Mathers in the centres.

1. Turner
    2. Rogers
    3. Webstar
    4. Mathers
    5. Carney

Thats a gun backline. Especially considering it would only be the second year of the club.

Next year it probably will be:
    1) turner
    2) mathers
    3) webster
    4) delenay
    5) carney

Thats a very good backline, much better than i would have hoped for

We are looking at a bright fututre

awesome news that rogers is returning.
    who was his father who played for the blues cause mat played for queensland?

Steve Rogers, Mats father played for the blues in the early 80s

Only father/son who have played for opposing states

Mat's move would make dad happy
    By Dean Ritchie
    September 14, 2006

NEW Gold Coast recruit Mat Rogers admits his surprise defection back to rugby league "would have put a smile on Dad's face".

Rogers yesterday confirmed a Daily Telegraph report that he would be join the Gold Coast Titans for three years.

He will return to rugby league in 2008 after representing the Wallabies at next year's World Cup in France.

Rogers' father Steve, a rugby league legend with the Cronulla Sharks, passed away last year.

"I reckon he'd have a smile on his face," Mat told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"Dad always said watching rugby union was like watching paint dry.

"The decision was based on my family and what they wanted, but

I know Dad would be happy with my decision. It's been a tough 18 months for me and this is a great way to kick-off a new part of my life."

Rogers said a key reason for his decision was a desire to return to the Gold Coast - where he spent part of his youth - with partner Chloe Maxwell and children Jack, Skyla and Max.

"It is a weird feeling," Rogers said.

"I don't consider myself a league player or a union player. I just play footy. In the climate we have now, players are fortunate to be able to play both codes.

"Maybe I have helped out by showing that players can go across and then go back. It's not that hard."

Rogers will take a significant pay cut to play in the NRL again.

It is understood Rogers will receive $300,000 a year from the Titans - a massive drop from the $650,000 he was paid for being a Wallaby.

"I love rugby league, I always have," Rogers said.

"I also love rugby union.

"But at this period of my life, I think it's the right time to go back to rugby league and live in a place where I've always wanted to live. It's a bonus to be able to do that and also play football."

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart is thrilled Rogers will be returning to rugby league.

"I think it's terrific for the game," Stuart said.

"It's also a healthy sign for the Gold Coast. (Coach) John Cartwright is a step ahead.

"Mat's a great talent and he belongs in our game. It shows Mat enjoys rugby league."

With the announcement having been made public, Rogers will now focus on rugby union again.

"I'm looking forward to the next 12 months in rugby," said Rogers.

"It'd be good to finish with a bang and I can move on knowing that I have achieved everything. By no means do I feel I have achieved everything in rugby, there's still a lot to go."

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said he was not concerned about Rogers being 31 when he joins the club.

"He's an athlete," Searle said.

"He's an absolute freak of a player and it's fantastic to get him back in our game."

The Daily Telegraph

pity he wont be playing for maroons abut awesome for titans.
    they recruited well

Titans circle fed-up Rogers
    By Dean Ritchie
    December 01, 2006

GOLD Coast Titans are ready to launch an audacious bid to sign Mat Rogers for next year - and the club can pay him up to $200,000 for the season.

Rogers is believed to be ready to walk away from rugby union, disillusioned and bored with the game.

The Australian Rugby Union last night declared that it would contact the star back in a bid to sort out any problems he may have and ensure he stays in the code until after the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

Rogers has signed a two-year deal with the Titans starting in 2008.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle would not reveal how much money the Titans still have to move under their salary cap, but it is understood to be about $200,000.

"We could fit him in," Searle said.

"It has come as a shock (that Rogers is planning a switch to rugby league) but he can help our situation and we'd love to have him."

Titans coach John Cartwright backed Searle's stance.

"If rugby union was happy and Mat was happy, then yes we would love to see him here next season," Cartwright said.

"We could be left short if Steve Turner doesn't come."

Cartwright flies to Sydney today to play in Rogers' charity golf day at Camden.

The ARU has received no requests from Rogers seeking a release.

"We will have a talk to Mat to clarify any problems and ensure he wants to be part of the World Cup program," ARU chief executive Gary Flowers.

Daily Telegraph

With the latest news out there regarding Rogers, before we all put the horse before the cart, let us all remember that Matt Rogers is alleged to be fed up with the ARU looking for a possible early release from the last year of his contract.

This means he will need to negotiate a release not only from his ARU contract but also from the NSW Warratahs - much easier to say than do.

Steve Turner is likely to get his way with Michael Searle now offering a "player swap" with the Melbourne Storm (see Steve Turner discussion thread) so IF we are able to get Matt Rogers for 2007 at $200,000 for his services, I am all for it. I would rather him back here one year younger contributing to the success of our team from very start

Exclamation Mat Rogers

with the rumours that rogers is not happy in rugby and may want an early release to join the titans is anyone concerned that he may have the same issues at the titans. he wants to play at five eight in rugby but hasn't done well enough whilst he had an oppurtunity. Is he going to come into our team and demand to play half or five eight also????? His reason for leaving league in the first place was that he was sick of playing on the wing. Where will he play for us??? fullback??? don't get me wrong he is a very talented player and will bring a different level of media coverage due to playing both codes but i hope that it will be positive.

Rogers threat to sit out season
    By Peter Jenkins

December 06, 2006 12:00

WALLABY star Mat Rogers will consider sitting out next season - and forfeiting his $500,000 salary - unless the Australian Rugby Union releases him from the final year of his contract.

The latest extraordinary development in the Rogers saga surfaced last night to fuel suspicions the dual international has already played his last games for the NSW Waratahs and Wallabies.

The Daily Telegraph has also learned the reasons Rogers put forward for wanting to relocate to the Gold Coast and link with the Titans in the NRL a year earlier than planned are not purely football related.

Rogers has told officials that personal issues have prompted his desire to move out of Sydney with his family just nine months before the Wallabies campaign for the World Cup in France.

And the drama has taken a further twist with Rogers warning that he is prepared to stand down from all rugby if the ARU and Waratahs are not prepared to let him go.

Any such move would be unprecedented in the professional rugby era and would strip Rogers of his $10,000-a-week earnings.

Rogers met with Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie on Monday and yesterday left for a week's holiday as behind-the-scenes talks start between the NSWRU and ARU.

The Waratahs are thought to be sympathetic to Rogers' desire for a release.

But the ARU would also have to approve the undoing of a three-way contract that ties the player to the provincial and national bodies.

There will be resistance within the ARU, spawned by concerns that releasing Rogers back to rugby league would set a dangerous precedent.

There is even a suggestion that if Rogers wants to move to the Gold Coast he could stay in rugby and play for the Queensland Reds.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Looking good.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD Cup Titan

Rugby Union should release Matt from his obligations.He has had a tough period personally & it makes too much sense for him personally & professionally to move to the Gold Coast & resume his league career.