I just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by news.com.au
Sharks chase lost son
January 9, 2007
Josh Massoud

CRONULLA last night flagged an audacious bid to lure favourite son Mat Rogers back from the Gold Coast following the resignation of Darren Albert.

Reeling yesterday from Albert's decision to walk out in pursuit of a British-based love interest, Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce said he was willing to explore the possibility of Rogers filling the sudden hole next season. "We'll get over Alby first and then I'll have a chat to (coach) Ricky Stuart and see what he thinks," Pierce said.

"There are not many experienced outside backs going around now.

"I've always got on well with Mat and I'm happy to ring him if Ricky wants me to."

Rogers's former NRL club, however, would face an uphill battle for his services against new franchise the Gold Coast Titans.

After securing a release from the ARU last month, the ex-Wallaby shifted his young family to Queensland just over a week ago in what most considered a surefire sign he would join the Titans in 2007.

The 30-year-old has also moved to enrol his son into his former boarding school, The Southport School.

Already contracted to the Gold Coast from 2008, Rogers cited a need to start afresh outside Sydney as one of the main reasons for walking away from rugby a year early.

Starting with the death of his father Steve last January, he has endured a traumatic year that culminated when brother Don tried to take his own life last month.

Despite taking up residence on the Gold Coast, Rogers remains a free agent for the coming season.

He could not be contacted for comment yesterday.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle said last night he was confident of finalising a bridging deal early next week.

Asked if Rogers's signature was a done deal, Searle replied: "We don't have to lock him up in a dark room with a lamp and get him to sign a contract.

"We have sort of spoken about where we are at, but haven't executed a deal yet."

Pierce acknowledged Cronulla would start at long odds to tempt Rogers into a return.

However, Albert's sudden departure has given the Sharks some added bargaining power ? believed to be about $150,000 ? under this year's salary cap.

"I haven't talked to the coach about Mat, because based on what people have told me he wants to get out of Sydney and start a new life," Pierce said.

Albert walked into Pierce office around lunchtime to announce he was headed to England immediately.

"It seemed football defintely wasn't the first thing on his mind," Pierce said.

While they did not attempt to stop Albert from leaving, the Sharks have not granted him a release either ? leaving the outside back unable to play for a rival NRL club should he return to Australia.

The 30-year-old is understood to have quit to be by the side of a girlfriend in England, with whom he spent the entire off-season.

Albert's manager, Gavin Orr, stressed his client had "no issue" with Cronulla cocahing stff, officials or players.

"He was very apologetic for leaving at such short notice and wishes the Sharks every success for the upcoming season," Orr added.