Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default The Chris Walker contract thread

Gold Coast Titan Chris Walker has completed his football resurrection

By Peter Badel
    April 19, 2009

Two years ago he was depressed, battling alcoholism and fighting to save his National Rugby League career. But Chris Walker's inspirational footballing resurrection is complete.

The winger set to be handed a new deal by the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Michael Searle says he is keen to reward Walker's on and off-field rehabilitation with a contract until the end of next year.

The development is a major boost for the former Origin flyer, whose NRL days appeared numbered after his much-publicised battle with alcohol and anxiety.

It is understood Walker will be offered a one-year deal.

The 29-year-old's form over the next eight to 10 weeks will determine whether he gets a fulltime contract or an incentive-based deal.

Significantly, the Titans will not insert any clauses related to booze or behaviour, proof the club is confident Walker is no longer a high risk.

"I'd like to see Walks stay with the club," Searle said.

"It's our intention to sit down and talk to him about his future and whether we can come up with an affordable deal that is good for both parties.

"Chris Walker has been a success story for us. He's been great for us off the field, he's been absolutely brilliant, he's really turned his life around and we'd like to recognise that.

"In saying that, we have a good group of young blokes coming through. We have David Mead, Kevin Gordon and Shannon Walker, but at the moment Chris is playing some good footy.

"There's no rush. He's only played three games, but I'd like him to be here next year."

Walker's manager Chris Orr contacted Searle last week about a new deal.

Orr wants a two-year deal for his client, but a 12-month extension is more likely.

The former Bronco has played only nine games in two years at the club due to a glut of injuries but is adamant he is not a spent force.

"I've made a call to Michael Searle, I'd like to have a chat to him about a new deal," Orr said.

"Based on the way he's turned his life around, Walks deserves another deal. He's loved by the whole community, he's gone way above the call of duty to prove himself to the Titans."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

things have really turned around for shris and he is showing that on the fielf thus far this year

i hope both parties can come to an agreement and chris stays with the titans for life..
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Lovin this news. He is easily one of the crowd favorites.

Like I said alomg time ago Chris is one of the nicest guys you will meet and really deserves the chance he has been given by Michael Searle and the Titans.

Well done Walks

Awesome news a well deserved. To all the Walker critics he is proving you guys know nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

i wouldnt give him a 2 year based on our jnr's but his a good player to have

Good luck to him. Still not back to his best, but improving I thinkl

Doing ok,but i am the omly one who thinks his defense is poor?

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl View Post
    Doing ok,but i am the omly one who thinks his defense is poor?
    No im with u atm im hoping thats one thing that he works on in next few weeks......

Really enjoying watching Chris' game sense coming back to him. This not only includes the inside balls and kicks he has started popping up for but his reads in defence. I know we have a lot of young guns coming though but at his peak (which I don't think is far off) he is our best winger. The young blokes have one old bloke to catch.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I would love to see Chris re-signed. It would stick it to all the deathriders!

Best of luck over the coming weeks Chris.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

Whilst I am and always will be a Chris Walker fan I can't help but think that a few people may be getting a little carried away with his 2009 "form". I understand he is coming back from a long injury lay off but I think his defence has been questionable at best.

If you watch back the last 2 games you will find at least one instance in each of him not even contesting a high ball right on the goal line, at least one of which resulted in atry. His attack is and always will be good and I like the sentiment behind everyone's well wishing but is he good enough to keep out a young winger who starred in the world cup for an average team or Tonga or Gordon should they choose to move Rogers to the centres?

I'll cheer for him every time he turns out in Titans colours because of what he has been through to get here and because I know he is giving everything he has and more but in my opinion the answer is no.

Default Walker's career at crossroads

Walker's career at crossroads

Pat McLeod

May 30th, 2009

TITANS cult hero Chris Walker may be forced to exit the Gold Coast at the end of this season and finish his rugby league career in England.

The 29-year-old is currently weighing up a two-year deal worth more than $200,000 a season to go overseas, or significantly less money to stay for a guaranteed one more year with the Titans.

"There is a big decision to be made in the Walker household," the flying flanker said yesterday.

"My preference would be to stay on the Gold Coast and with the Titans, but it comes down to what is best for me and my family.

"I have really enjoyed my time here but if it means that it is time to move on, then so be it."

Walker has won a place deep in the hearts of Titans fans for what he has achieved on and off the field.

Despite a history of off-field indiscretions the Gold Coast club threw him a lifeline in 2007. However early in that season he was involved in a minor incident in a Gold Coast nightclub and was banned from playing for eight weeks.

Since then Walker's image has transformed.

A long-term partner, a baby girl and an admission that he had a problem with alcohol has led to a new off-field persona.

On-field he was electric until two snapped achilles looked to have ended his career.

But Walker fought on and this year is again back in first grade and back to close to his best. His ability to overcome obstacles has won him even more support and he regularly receives one of the loudest receptions from fans at Skilled Park.

"This club has stood by me, they were the ones who gave me a second chance," says Walker.

"I will never forget that. But I still need to do what is best from a father's perspective.

"There are certainly no hard feelings between myself and the Titans.

"I guess I expected a little more than what they offered, but that is what they think I am worth."

Titans managing director Michael Searle said he understood Walker's dilemma.

"We want him to stay, but I can imagine it would be hard to walk away from the money he is being offered overseas. Ideally we would like to give everyone more money, but we can't do that," said Searle.

He said Walker was no longer paying financially for the sins of the past: "No, that is not the case.

"He will always pay for his past in regard to how hard we are on him privately. He has more pressure from us than any other player.

"But the package is commensurate to what we pay other players of the same ability and in the same position. He is not taking a financial hit for his indiscretions."

Searle has told Walker that the door will always be open to him to play some role at the club.

www.goldcoast.com.au
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Surely the club has the room to sign him for 2 years on 100k a season.

I would hate to see Chris leave, but I can understand his conundrum. That overseas deal would be pretty attractive, but the Titans deal is for a year and you never know there may be another beyond that and a role with the club.

I'm glad we are offering him a contract, he is my favourite Titan. But we have a heap of wingers coming through who need a place to move up or we will also lose them.

It's a tough situation but that is the nature of the beast, the player market and salary cap.

I think he will stay in the end.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

i really hope that the club can and WILL make room for walks to stay....

he is a testimont to anyone that you can overcome great hurdles and still rise to the top, especially when things are stacked against you..

Searly.... please dont let Chris leave...
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .